Stockholm motorway tunnel

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Re: Stockholm motorway tunnel

Post by FosseWay »

MJG wrote:
FosseWay wrote:
I don't know whether Förbifart Stockholm will be subject to the congestion charge - do you?
There is a statement at Trafikverket's web pages telling that the congestion tax will not be collected on the new bypass.
Aha, thank you. That is unusually enlightened of Trafikverket!
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
jackal

Post by jackal »

Love how the stock response is always 'we'd never do this in the UK!', even when we've got several road projects of a similar scale in development and at least one substantially larger one in the Pennines Tunnel.

If this scheme was being built in the UK people would take one look at Hjulsta interchange and say 'stackabout between two motorways? We can't do anything right in this country!'.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

kit wrote:
Owain wrote:It is unusual for projects these days to encourage cars into city centres. The Dublin port tunnel was built to serve the port, but it is a fantastic way to drive right into Dublin city centre if you want to avoid traffic jams. It is a toll road, and the toll is far more (€10) during the morning rush hour than at all other times (€3). I guess that's how they try to prevent commuters from using it.
The Dublin port tunnel was different in that AFAIK it was originally intended to be lorries only and cars were later permitted. It would be like saying a tunnel was bus only to get it built in London then later opening it to all traffic.
The only time that I used the Dublin Tunnel was when I arrived on the Ferry from Holyhead and was heading north from Dublin. I decided that I woudl rather spend €10 than negotiate a clogged up road that I did not know. If, however, I was using the route regularly, I would certainly think twice about spending €10 and possibly think about using the DART instead.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Last year about this time we and friends were on the same ferry into Dublin port. We were both heading to the same destination, south of Dublin near Bray. They took the port tunnel route, at about €3 at that time of day, and via the M50 - a much longer route. We took the east link at about the same price and struggled through the traffic. We both arrived within 5 minutes of each other.

Next weekend we are doing the same trip, except that this year I'll be using the tunnel.
Let it snow.