Route Confirmation Signs that are no longer extant

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rillington

Route Confirmation Signs that are no longer extant

Post by Rillington »

As a follow-up to my topic discussion about RCS which are out of date, I thought I'd start an allied topic for route confirmation signs that are no longer extant. I'll start off with a couple I remember on the B1228 in East Yorkshire. The first was northbound after the A163 junction at Bubwith. It had many places listed but I can't remember its content. The other was juts a bit to the north, but heading southbound and I remember it said:

Howden 12
(M62 Motorway 14)
(Selby 14)
(Goole 16)
KeithW

Re: Route Confirmation Signs that are no longer extant

Post by KeithW »

As I recall pretty much the only destination of any importance on the B1228 is the Elvington Air Museum.
Komi san

Post by Komi san »

This one somehow survived downgration of N3 after motorway was finished in 2010 but it was replaced by modern one which excluded Ballyshannon as main destination
https://maps.app.goo.gl/uvk6Zmp8fpmncTn67
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

KeithW wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:40 As I recall pretty much the only destination of any importance on the B1228 is the Elvington Air Museum.
True but it did have those two RCS back in the day.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Quite a few RCS on the route from Canterbury to Folkestone are no longer with us. There was this one on the A2050, I'm pretty sure there used to be one here on the A2 pre-2009, and there used to be one on the A260 (you can just see the remainders of one of the posts).
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

Some on the A1 which I may end up writing on HE/TfL about replacing:

1) A1 NB at Archway, removed to allow buses stationed at the new Archway bus stand to reverse back down the A1.

2) A1(M) NB after j9. I did write to HE about 7-8 years ago but they were not interested in replacing, this lost RCS from I believe 2009.

3) A1 SB after Brampton Hut, the old SB RCS was not replaced, meaning we currently have no SB RCS on the A1 for 16 miles from J17 to Buckden. Again something HE should revisit.

4) A1 NB after the A43 Stamford on slip. Actually only a few years ago 2017, the longest signed distance to Doncaster was here at 74 miles.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

thatapanydude wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 23:00 1) A1 NB at Archway, removed to allow buses stationed at the new Archway bus stand to reverse back down the A1.
This was the one that famously had mathematical operators added a few years ago to make 2x5+5=15.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

thatapanydude wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 23:00 Some on the A1 which I may end up writing on HE/TfL about replacing:

1) A1 NB at Archway, removed to allow buses stationed at the new Archway bus stand to reverse back down the A1.

2) A1(M) NB after j9. I did write to HE about 7-8 years ago but they were not interested in replacing, this lost RCS from I believe 2009.

3) A1 SB after Brampton Hut, the old SB RCS was not replaced, meaning we currently have no SB RCS on the A1 for 16 miles from J17 to Buckden. Again something HE should revisit.

4) A1 NB after the A43 Stamford on slip. Actually only a few years ago 2017, the longest signed distance to Doncaster was here at 74 miles.
If you do, and they reply, please do let us know if they say that they plan to replace them.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Posted on other threads and I think the disproportionately signed places one in particular, but the furthest reference to my birth town was on the A120 after the A133 Clacton spur in 2012 but had been replaced with a different RCS by the time the Google car came back in 2014. So, although a sign exists, the sign is not extant.