M62 bridge to be replaced in September

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nowster
Treasurer

Re: M62 bridge to be replaced in September

Post by nowster »

Helvellyn wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:33 Isn't iron a problem if you're going to use it with hydrogen? I vaguely recall something about it making iron more brittle.
Hydrogen is a difficult gas to contain. Because of its small molecular size it likes to diffuse through materials. I can imagine that causing problems with iron.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 18:57
wrinkly wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 18:32 The abutments appear to be in fairly bad condition on Streetview so I assume they are included in the reconstruction.
They could even move them back 12 feet or so just in case any one wants to add a hard shoulder... But then again, perhaps not.
Future-proofing? National Highways? I think you're going into the realms of fantasy there Corporal Jones :roll: :wink:
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Paul7755 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:36 There’s a planning application referenced in the Rail forums discussion,

Rochdale Council planning website reference 23/00744, might have more details of the works, but I haven’t looked at it yet.
The existing abutments and arch bridge adjacent will remain. The curved concrete deck (designed to allow for what is now the ELR) will be replaced with a steel deck that doesn't have the same curvature - the single track branch to the ELR will be retained with new pointwork provided it appears.

All in all this is a lot less complex than it's been made out to be.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:10 ...the single track branch to the ELR will be retained with new pointwork provided it appears.
It would be interesting to find out what the plans would be for using the ELR for future Metrolink expansion. Would we have a similar situation to the Cheshire Lines at Altrincham?
Komi san

Post by Komi san »

KeithW wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 17:52
nowster wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 15:10 It's here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/sAsnGsDQzCrXtnZCA

And I doubt closing one of the busiest stretches of motorway in the UK for five weeks is a good idea. It'll probably be done in a similar way to the bridge replacement on the M56 near Preston Brook.
Perhaps but while replacing the bridge span should be straight forward enough looking at the bridge condition and abutments the concrete does not seem to have aged well. That said the original poster suggested that the rail line would closed not the M62 so I would expect an overnight closure while the span was demolished and another of the motorway when the new bridge was installed which was what happened for the A14.
Is seen to be crumbling so im not susprised this bridge need to be replaced
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

nowster wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 16:53
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:10 ...the single track branch to the ELR will be retained with new pointwork provided it appears.
It would be interesting to find out what the plans would be for using the ELR for future Metrolink expansion. Would we have a similar situation to the Cheshire Lines at Altrincham?
I would prefer if they just bought out the ELR entirely and made Metrolink extend north of Bury. It won't happen, mind, but the eastwards extension to Rochdale is an easy win and would vastly benefit many people.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

There's now a Network Rail press release. There doesn't seem to be an NH one yet.

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.u ... n-rochdale
Network Rail is investing more than £20m in rebuilding a major railway bridge that takes trains over the M62 in Castleton, near Rochdale.

Passengers and motorists are urged to check before they travel in September 2024 as rail and road closures are required to replace the 42m long, 2000 tonne bridge.

The work will ensure safe and reliable journeys for passengers and freight over this vital structure for years to come.

To complete the work, engineers need to dismantle the old bridge and take it away on the M62. The new bridge materials will be delivered by road and built on site.

The M62 will be closed over two weekends between J18 and J20:

The evening of Friday 6 – early morning Monday 9 September
The evening of Friday 20 – early morning Monday 23 September

Outside of the full road closure, the motorway will be reduced to three lanes. There will be nightly closures to support the work to the base of the bridge.

The railway will be closed 6-24 September between Manchester Victoria and Rochdale. Rail replacement buses will be in operation for passengers.

The bridge, known as Castleton bridge, carries 6% of the UK’s energy supply across the country, as freight trains carry material to and from Drax power station in Selby.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Interesting that the closure will be between 18 (M66) and 20 (Milnrow) rather than between 19 and 20.

This suggests that the diversion might be M66-A58-A627(M) eastbound and A627(M)-A663-M60 westbound.

The junction between the A6046 and A664 has recently been signed with a diversion for HGVs as the left turn at the bottom of the hill from one to the other is too tight. The diversion is to turn right and go westbound along the A664 to the next roundabout then double back eastbound towards the A627(M) at Slattocks.

In a recent weekend closure of the M62 there were separate diversion routes for HGVs and other traffic.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

I was chatting with a friend last night who will be involved with the rail side of this, and is understandably concerned that the ensuing road congestion on the M62 closure weekends may make it near impossible to run a reliable Rochdale - Manchester rail replacement bus operation. I would always use the A627(M)/A663/A62, and most previous RRB journeys I've been on have used this route, but clearly there is going to be a lot of extra traffic using it on those weekends. He did have one option up his sleeve, but I won't mention it in detail yet, just in case it doesn't come to pass.