A1 Traffic Signals

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

NICK 647063

A1 Traffic Signals

Post by NICK 647063 »

Was Just thinking once the Black Cat Roundabout is upgraded and the A1 becomes free flow the traffic signals will be gone, so was trying to work out what the gap is between mainline traffic signals on the A1, from South to North, I’m thinking the last set are on Stirling Corner in North London but where are the next ones once Black Cat are removed?

I can’t think of anymore between Stirling Corner and Newcastle, North of Newcastle I’m unfamiliar with but are we to assume the next set are in Edinburgh?
jnty

Re: A1 Traffic Signals

Post by jnty »

I don't think any of the roundabouts through Northumberland and the Borders are signalised, so as you say the first lights would be at Portobello.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Checks out here too - unless the single carriageway bits up north have a sneaky pedestrian crossing somewhere coming off any roundabouts but I can't remember any from previous trips.

The current record (albeit not on the same singular road) still has to be Tamar Bridge to Broxden doesn't it?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jnty

Post by jnty »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 08:21 Checks out here too - unless the single carriageway bits up north have a sneaky pedestrian crossing somewhere coming off any roundabouts but I can't remember any from previous trips.

The current record (albeit not on the same singular road) still has to be Tamar Bridge to Broxden doesn't it?
Broxden isn't signalised so you can get a bit of extra distance to Inveralmond.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

jnty wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 08:53
Bryn666 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 08:21 Checks out here too - unless the single carriageway bits up north have a sneaky pedestrian crossing somewhere coming off any roundabouts but I can't remember any from previous trips.

Of course! I try and blank out Broxden from memory, such an abomination that junction is!

It would have been great to get the unbroken run to Inverness. I suppose if you are sneaky you could divert onto the M90 at Broxden and get onto the Kingsway in Dundee before hitting a signal.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 08:56

Of course! I try and blank out Broxden from memory, such an abomination that junction is!

It would have been great to get the unbroken run to Inverness. I suppose if you are sneaky you could divert onto the M90 at Broxden and get onto the Kingsway in Dundee before hitting a signal.
And down the A30 rather than A38 at the other end.

In fact, with a few creative deviations, I wonder would it be possible to get from Land's End to John o'Groats without passing any traffic light?
jnty

Post by jnty »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 09:35
Bryn666 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 08:56

And down the A30 rather than A38 at the other end.

In fact, with a few creative deviations, I wonder would it be possible to get from Land's End to John o'Groats without passing any traffic light?
I think you can avoid lights around Perth by going west along the A9 from Broxden then turning north through Tibbermore, going via Methven or Almondbank, through Pitcairngreen then joining the A9 northbound at Luncarty. There might be an eastern option via the A90 too, especially once the new bridge opens?

Avoiding lights at Inverness is tricky as there are lights just before the Kessock Bridge and through Beauly, but I think you can get around Beauly on back roads, wiggle under Muir of Ord and regain the A9 at Tore.