Missing pages

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

Missing pages

Post by rileyrob »

Just reviewing my suggested redesign of the Wiki Main Page/Beta and thought it would be a good idea to link the contents list to pages rather than categories where possible. I was shocked.

We have a page for Bridges

However, Junctions, Tunnels, Crossings (the more specific Causeways and Ferries do have pages) and Service Areas (Motorway Service Area does exist, but isn't quite the same) would all be dead links. There are a couple of others too. Unless someone else would like to tackle these, I will have a look tomorrow.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: Main Page/Beta :

_NOTOC__ | width"border:1px solid grey;" !colspan"background-color:#036195;color:white;font-size:16px;"| Welcome to The Roader's Digest - the SABRE Wiki, the most complete archive of information on the British and Irish road networks on the web.

|- !style="width:33%;text-align:left;background-color:#036195;color:white;font-size:16px;align:centre;"|About !style="width:33%;text-align:left;background-color:#036195;color:white;font-size:16px;"|Photo of the Month Winners

... Read More
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Missing pages

Post by c2R »

Well.... it stems from how the site grew up... Firstly we didn't really understand what we were doing with some of it, and for other parts of it the technology and plugins around mediawiki grew up around us. Using the categories allowed all the content to be quickly and easily indexed, and then no actual content pages were added around that.

So yes, we should have pages which detail things like what a junction is, generically, and list of things should be available in the categories, or by using lists from pages (e.g. how we show junctions etc. by authority, county, and by type etc. The categories themselves should be dynamically populated from templates in many cases.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

I was thinking the same thing, some of the links on the main page aren't great for the casual browser - currently if you click on "Class III Roads" you get the Category which primarily lists the sub-categories for each council, whch isn't really user friendly to delve into. I was thinking it should be redirected to some sort of page where you could have the options:

- "Class III Roads by Council" where it'd link to the main council pages (like the Gloucestershire one) with the map and road listings.
- The main Classified Unnumbered road article
- I've got a list of stats that I've been keeping on a spreadsheet that could be nice to have somewhere (total network length, longest road etc.) maybe on the "Class III Roads by Council" page as a table.
- You could still have the sub-category pages on there if it is useful.

I don't mind helping out on this part of it if I can/am able to :)
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Gloucestershire Council %28Class III roads%29 :

[Gloucestershire Council|Gloucestershire County Council]] use "C" prefixes for their Class III roads. The numbering system is shared with South Gloucestershire Council. The council maintains a network of over 1458km (906 miles) of Class III roads - some routes have not been located, this figure is for all roads inclued in the wiki.

The majority of C Roads have one to three digits, apart from urban roads in Cheltenham and Gloucester. These roads are four digits, starting with an 8 in

... Read More
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Junctions page created. Most of the Junction Types seem to have their own page (some could be expanded substantially), so it is just an overview page, much like Bridges. Please feel free to add to any of these pages if you think something is missing / inaccurate.
ravenbluemoon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 I was thinking the same thing, some of the links on the main page aren't great for the casual browser - currently if you click on "Class III Roads" you get the Category which primarily lists the sub-categories for each council, whch isn't really user friendly to delve into. I was thinking it should be redirected to some sort of page where you could have the options...

Yes Please, you must have created twice as many English C road pages as I have for Scotland, so are probably best placed to write an overview pages for them. I can add a Scottish Slant if need be afterwards!

Crossings next.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: Junctions :

his page is intended to give a brief outline of the different types of Junctions found on the British and Irish road network. Please follow the links below to gain more detail on a specific type.

The term 'Grade' in terms of junction design refers to the vertical alignment of the various roads which meet at the junction. At Grade means that all of the roads are on the same level, while Grade Separated means that one or more of the routes passes over another. The vast majority of junctions are

... Read More
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

rileyrob wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 13:19 Junctions page created. Most of the Junction Types seem to have their own page (some could be expanded substantially), so it is just an overview page, much like Bridges. Please feel free to add to any of these pages if you think something is missing / inaccurate.
ravenbluemoon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 I was thinking the same thing, some of the links on the main page aren't great for the casual browser - currently if you click on "Class III Roads" you get the Category which primarily lists the sub-categories for each council, whch isn't really user friendly to delve into. I was thinking it should be redirected to some sort of page where you could have the options...

Yes Please, you must have created twice as many English C road pages as I have for Scotland, so are probably best placed to write an overview pages for them. I can add a Scottish Slant if need be afterwards!

Crossings next.
Cool, I'll start working on a draft over the weekend. I will probably call it "Class III Roads" (at first anyway) so as not to clash with the "Classified Unnumbered" page, which will retain the bulk of the generic information. I've got an idea in my head of how I'd like it, whether or not it'll work in reality is a different matter!
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~

From the SABRE Wiki: Junctions :

his page is intended to give a brief outline of the different types of Junctions found on the British and Irish road network. Please follow the links below to gain more detail on a specific type.

The term 'Grade' in terms of junction design refers to the vertical alignment of the various roads which meet at the junction. At Grade means that all of the roads are on the same level, while Grade Separated means that one or more of the routes passes over another. The vast majority of junctions are

... Read More
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Ok, so I've made a start on a landing page for Class III Roads. There's probably a bit more that can be added to it, I don't want to add to much about the terminology/legalities as that's already covered in the Classified Unnumbered page.

One thing that is excellent with the Visual Editor is that tables can be edited a lot more easily than using Wikitext. I was able to work out how to do clever things like collapse tables and merge cells. Might need to check that it looks ok on things like phones.

Rileyrob, feel free to add anything from your knowledge - I managed to calculate the network length for each of your authorities (I think) but by all means correct and add whatever you like!
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~

From the SABRE Wiki: Class III Roads UK :
Classified Unnumbered Road, or Class III road, is a category of road in the United Kingdom, recognised by the Department for Transport. In importance, they are between Classified Numbered roads (also known as Class II or B roads), and Unclassified roads. The road standard can vary wildly, from quiet single lane roads serving small hamlets to multilane dual carriageways serving city suburbs. 

For a more detailed description of what a Class III road is, please see the [[Classified

... Read More
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 20:15 Ok, so I've made a start on a landing page for Class III Roads. There's probably a bit more that can be added to it, I don't want to add to much about the terminology/legalities as that's already covered in the Classified Unnumbered page.
I've had a quick look at this, and I can't see why this new page couldn't be folded into the existing? It contains a lot of useful information, but with some here and some in Classified Unnumbered road, it feels a bit disjointed to me.

One great 5* page (and a redirect) I'd suggest is better than two that can't really be more than 3* pages.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Class III Roads UK :
Classified Unnumbered Road, or Class III road, is a category of road in the United Kingdom, recognised by the Department for Transport. In importance, they are between Classified Numbered roads (also known as Class II or B roads), and Unclassified roads. The road standard can vary wildly, from quiet single lane roads serving small hamlets to multilane dual carriageways serving city suburbs. 

For a more detailed description of what a Class III road is, please see the [[Classified

... Read More
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Steven wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 20:43 I've had a quick look at this, and I can't see why this new page couldn't be folded into the existing? It contains a lot of useful information, but with some here and some in Classified Unnumbered road, it feels a bit disjointed to me.

One great 5* page (and a redirect) I'd suggest is better than two that can't really be more than 3* pages.
I wouldn't have an issue with putting everything into the Classified Unnumbered road page and having that linked from the front page. My attempt was more of a sandbox to see if could transfer my idea from brain to Wiki, I didn't want to ruin any existing pages! :)
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~

From the SABRE Wiki: Classified Unnumbered road :

A Classified unnumbered road, or Class III road, is a category of road in the United Kingdom, recognised by the Department for Transport. In importance, they are between Classified Numbered roads (also known as Class II or B roads), and Unclassified roads.

Designating or de-designating a road as "classified unnumbered" requires the approval of the Secretary of State for Transport.

Suggestions for increasing the classification of roads started almost

... Read More
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Ok, I've merged some of my page into the Classified Unnumbered road page. Again, please edit/correct as necessary! If folks are happy then we can delete my original version and change the link to the main page.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~

From the SABRE Wiki: Classified%20Unnumbered%20road :

A Classified unnumbered road, or Class III road, is a category of road in the United Kingdom, recognised by the Department for Transport. In importance, they are between Classified Numbered roads (also known as Class II or B roads), and Unclassified roads.

Designating or de-designating a road as "classified unnumbered" requires the approval of the Secretary of State for Transport.

Suggestions for increasing the classification of roads started almost

... Read More