Located A Bit Of Missing Media... ME! On Look East 1999?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Pagan_Brad

Located A Bit Of Missing Media... ME! On Look East 1999?

Post by Pagan_Brad »

Hello Everyone!

I hope you're all keeping well. I'm not too good right now, but I just wanted to leave a quick message here. In, I think, 1999-2000 or thereabouts, I was contacted and interviewed by Jonathan Samuels (I've seen him on "big" news channels these days) who was a small "local features" guy for Look East.

I had to go down to Newport Pag, and my wife and I discussed previously that they obviously WANTED me to look like the stereotypical "trainspotter" type.

So I wore my black shirt with white skulls and chains on, stretch black jeans, several belts, and my big Doc Martens - I won't be a stereotype!

It was about the life of the M1 in the area, how the motorway had grown - my little section was about maps and being interested in roads.

The amazing thing is that this was lost for a long time. I'd been sent a VHS of the whole segment, and after borrowing a VHS-DVD converter about 20 years ago, I managed to get it onto a disc along with some other bits and pieces (like the time I was on a tacky little UK Gold quiz show about TV in 1996). You can see how I wanted to keep all this separate!

Well, I've recently located the disc, and converted the Look East segment into an MKV file. The quality is as you'd expect - VHS (so not many lines), 4:3 scale, bits of tape degradation, and the various conversions along the way!

But I found it amazing since it's around that the original SABRE was created. Also, seeing the young kid on the screen was a little disconcerting and after being so terribly disabled so long, and I must confess there was a tear or two shed, especially by my wife.

So we have lost media found!

Stay well, be safe on the roads everyone. I hope to see you all in August!

Brad (the crumpled up sad old one)
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Located A Bit Of Missing Media... ME! On Look East 1999?

Post by Chris5156 »

Pagan_Brad wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 14:32But I found it amazing since it's around that the original SABRE was created. Also, seeing the young kid on the screen was a little disconcerting and after being so terribly disabled so long, and I must confess there was a tear or two shed, especially by my wife.
Hey Brad, good to hear from you! And amazing to hear you've found the recording of this. I remember you posting the story of it happening at the time, and being more than a little bit sad that I didn't live in the right part of the country to have been able to watch it.

If you're around for celebrations in August, I am hoping to come as well... maybe we'll meet after all these years :shock:
Pagan_Brad

Post by Pagan_Brad »

Hi Chris,

Lovely to hear from you! I shall move heaven and earth itself to meet up with everyone in August. No matter what my body is doing, I will through sheer force of will get to the meet up.

This is extremely important to me.

It's an anniversary that deserves to be celebrated and I am so very excited to meet everyone and finally put faces to legendary names. I am seriously excited to be there! 😀😀♥️♥️
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

It'll be good if you can bring that footage to the awayday in August, it'd probably make interesting viewing.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....