Speed Cameras

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Dean

Speed Cameras

Post by Dean »

I don't know if they have them anywhere else but some time last year on the A77 to Prestwick Airport got Average Speed Spees cameras. This means it averages your speed from one camera to another so you have no chance if you go anything over 70. They also have them on the M74 but are not marked as such.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Speed Cameras

Post by c2R »

Dean wrote:I don't know if they have them anywhere else but some time last year on the A77 to Prestwick Airport got Average Speed Spees cameras. This means it averages your speed from one camera to another so you have no chance if you go anything over 70. They also have them on the M74 but are not marked as such.
Do a search on this board for Specs and it will tell you all you need to know....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
signol

Post by signol »

There are some in the roadworks on the M11 north of Stansted at the moment. Strangely, you still get people standing on the brakes at both sets of cameras, and speeding between...

signol
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

signol wrote:There are some in the roadworks on the M11 north of Stansted at the moment. Strangely, you still get people standing on the brakes at both sets of cameras, and speeding between...

signol
I don't understand why people do this. The limit is well posted and only decide to do it when they see a camera in the area. Once they pass, off they accelerate again. It's even more unbeliveable when people do this in an area with roadworks and men working on site.

This is why SPECS cameras are much better at keeping these speeders down to the posted limits. I have seen in recent times many more motorway roadworks use SPECS and they do work really well from my own experience. The M6 around Lancaster have them at the moment as they are replacing an overhead bridge. You'll still get the odd speeder who seems to think he/she is immune to the limits, but SPECS are usually better for keeping the flow of traffic constant
scynthius726

Post by scynthius726 »

M74 is quite possibly the most pointless place in the UK for SPECS cameras. 3 lanes, perfect visibility, few hazards, how many accidents are caused by speed alone? Very few, if there any accidents they'll have been caused by inattention and/or tailgating.

:rant:
Member of the out-of-touch, liberal, metropolitan, establishment elite. Apparently.
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

signol wrote:There are some in the roadworks on the M11 north of Stansted at the moment. Strangely, you still get people standing on the brakes at both sets of cameras, and speeding between...
I would love to see the look on these berk's faces when the penalty notice drops through their letterbox. What part of the signs saying "average speed check" do they not understand? Speeding through roadworks, and putting the safety of the workforce at risk, is lunacy and anyone who does it deserves to be caught.

Andy
Dean

U.S.A

Post by Dean »

When i was in America there was red signs at the road works saying

When workers present speeding fines doubled

Perhaps that would stop them.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Dean wrote:When i was in America there was red signs at the road works saying

When workers present speeding fines doubled

Perhaps that would stop them.
This is standard in the States -- various environments, including outside schools and in construction zones, attract double fines for speeders.

I don't know how much the fines are over there, but I'm not sure it would be much of a deterrent here. IIRC a fixed penalty notice is £60 (never had one, so possibly misinformed). Many people can afford £120. It might make them think twice about *repeating* the speeding, but by then they could already have killed a construction worker. If they doubled the points.... Now there's an idea.
M60-Tony

Post by M60-Tony »

Travelled up and down the M6 past Keele Services yesterday evening.

Noticed one hooded "Not in Service" Gatso southbound right at the Services, ditto northbound about 1/2 mile south of the services.

Both had "ruler" markings on all 3 lanes.

Are these new, pending road works, or, possibly for the first time, fixed speed cameras on a "Motorway speed limit applies" stretch?
Tony

"We have more and more laws, and less and less law enforcement."
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

M60-Tony wrote:Travelled up and down the M6 past Keele Services yesterday evening.

Noticed one hooded "Not in Service" Gatso southbound right at the Services, ditto northbound about 1/2 mile south of the services.

Are these new, pending road works, or, possibly for the first time, fixed speed cameras on a "Motorway speed limit applies" stretch?
Possibly something to do with this Tony ?
Mr Brown, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwW_1rswyo
flyingscot

Post by flyingscot »

scynthius726 wrote:M74 is quite possibly the most pointless place in the UK for SPECS cameras. 3 lanes, perfect visibility, few hazards, how many accidents are caused by speed alone? Very few, if there any accidents they'll have been caused by inattention and/or tailgating.

But aren't they installed at the roadworks section only?

I passed through the White Cart Roadworks on the M8 and it is only speed cameras. I braked to 40 on the enterance and was tailgated until the first camera, then moved over due to the lane gain when the cars shot off, at 55mph+ only to brake for the next camera.

Is there any wonder the government and pressure groups have such a low opinion of motorists when some idiots can't keep it to 40mph for 2 miles? It's just an open invitation to install cameras and I think time has come for an Americanism, double fine and points in roadworks once the new points scheme is introduced.
To come second is to be the first of the losers.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

There were average speed checks on the M1 through the roadworks through J20-21 last time I was on there, yet I still seemed to be holding up every car possible by checking my speed!
Dean

Post by Dean »

scynthius726 wrote:M74 is quite possibly the most pointless place in the UK for SPECS cameras. 3 lanes, perfect visibility, few hazards, how many accidents are caused by speed alone? Very few, if there any accidents they'll have been caused by inattention and/or tailgating.

There may not be that many accidents caused due to speed but ive travelled on the road a lot and i have seen lots of "near accidents" sue to speed
M60-Tony

Post by M60-Tony »

highwaymana31 wrote:
M60-Tony wrote:Travelled up and down the M6 past Keele Services yesterday evening.

Possibly something to do with this Tony ?
Could be. Though we travelled between J15 & J19, absolutely no sign of road works, active or otherwise. No signs IIRC. And it was coming up to midnight on our return journey.
Tony

RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

A lot of roadworks have been removed over the Easter long-weekend, Tony. Perhaps this is what has happened.
M60-Tony

Post by M60-Tony »

RickyB_uk wrote:A lot of roadworks have been removed over the Easter long-weekend, Tony. Perhaps this is what has happened.
Indeed. But I'd still expect to see signs, cones, etc. even if they're off to the side, covered, or whatever.

The stretch of carriageway where the cameras are looked new, albeit judging by view seen with headlights.
Tony

haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

flyingscot wrote: Is there any wonder the government and pressure groups have such a low opinion of motorists when some idiots can't keep it to 40mph for 2 miles? It's just an open invitation to install cameras and I think time has come for an Americanism, double fine and points in roadworks once the new points scheme is introduced.
Agreed. In roadworks where men are working, I'd quite happily see the introduction of a double fine and points. The temporary speed limits are clearly posted in advance, especially on motorway works, so there are no excuses. Speeding in an area where men are quite clearly working in my opinion anyway, should earn you a greater fine and double the points. I would personally like to see SPECS cameras placed on all motorway roadwork sites where the reduction of the speed limit is quite a lengthy one. Thankfully, a lot of them I have seen in the past year / 18 months or so have been and the majority of people as a result of their average speed being checked (rather than in random places with a fixed camera), usually obey. You will always get one who thinks the speed limits don't include them, but SPECS keep the majority of the speeders down to the limits.
There may not be that many accidents caused due to speed but ive travelled on the road a lot and i have seen lots of "near accidents" sue to speed
I've witnessed a couple of near misses too along the A74(M)/M74. Most of them caused by those who don't realise the inside lane exists. It's a great strech of road with no doubt, a motorway I really enjoy whenever I have used it because traffic is usually fairly light, but there are some people on it which bomb down the outside lane easily doing 90mph+ heading right into the back of someone else doing a more acceptable speed.