Rolling uphill on the A719

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M45 Tailback

Post by M45 Tailback »

New Electric Brae Video on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o3ael_PHyo
Steve S

Resurrect the A604!
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

owen b wrote:On a related matter, there are many fells with relatively flat featureless summits, especially in the Pennines. It can be very frustrating when trying to get to the highest point, as often no matter where you stand there's always somewhere that looks higher.
If you are ever fortunate enough to be on the top of Scafell Pike in the Lake District there are a number of surrounding fells which appeear taller (including my namesake) but I have it on good authority that S.Pike is indeed the tallest (3206' above sea level or something).
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Theres an electric brae on the A272 just west of Rogate. There was a queue of traffic so I thought I'd roll down to it, but the car started rolled a lot slower than I thought it would, then started rolling 'uphill'!
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Edit - double post sorry!
Last edited by A42_Sparks on Fri May 25, 2007 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

skiddaw05 wrote:
owen b wrote:On a related matter, there are many fells with relatively flat featureless summits, especially in the Pennines. It can be very frustrating when trying to get to the highest point, as often no matter where you stand there's always somewhere that looks higher.
If you are ever fortunate enough to be on the top of Scafell Pike in the Lake District there are a number of surrounding fells which appeear taller (including my namesake) but I have it on good authority that S.Pike is indeed the tallest (3206' above sea level or something).
That is true - a similar phenomenon exists on Trostan in Co Antrim but on a smaller scale - Trostan at 550m is the highest point in the county but due to its broad flat top neighbouring mountains Knocklayd, Slemish and Collin Top all look taller when standing on top of it - I've witnessed this myself. :shock: