40 years of M4 : Radio Berkshire (aka "Bryn on t' Radio")

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

40 years of M4 : Radio Berkshire (aka "Bryn on t' Radio")

Post by Ritchie333 »

This morning, Bryn666 was on Radio Berkshire discussing the M4, the initial phase of which (ie: Chiswick - Newport) was finished on this day in 1971.

You can find the audio (possibly for a limited time) on http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00m88d0. It starts at about 22:30.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Re: 40 years of M4 : Radio Berkshire (aka "Bryn on t' Radio"

Post by A303Chris »

Ritchie333 wrote:This morning, Bryn666 was on Radio Berkshire discussing the M4, the initial phase of which (ie: Chiswick - Newport) was finished on this day in 1971.

You can find the audio (possibly for a limited time) on http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00m88d0. It starts at about 22:30.
Ritchie, sorry to correct you, it was J8/9 to J18 that was opened on this day 40 years ago. Before that the M4 between J1 and J9 at Maidenhead Thicket was opened in stages between 1959 and 1965 as was the length between J18 and J28 which opened between 1962 (i think) and 1966 when the severn bridge was opened. I was 3 years 11 months when it opened but we could not use it until 1974 until J10 was opened. In these 18 months it was a clear run from J8/9 to J11 and therefore if you lived as I do east of Reading, it was still quicker to use the A4 to Maidenhead to get on the motorway to go London bound.I remember when J10 opened crying when we used it for the 1st time as my Dad said we are on the M4 and I was adament that we were not as it was unlit as we always got on at J8/9 which was lit.

I will try and play Bryn's piece later as iplayer is blocked in the office. Nice to see Radio Berkshire look on here for info and not there local council where some of us are also full of knowledge :D
The M25 - The road to nowhere
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

nowster wrote:http://bethyngalw.nowster.org.uk/sabre/ ... kshire.mp3

Available for a few days only.
Thanks nowster, could listen to that.

Brilliant Bryn, very good. In fact I have just finished listening to it and the office have also heard it and the reponse, "My word there is someone as sad as you".
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Good account on the radio.

Would say the best parts including the Chiswick flyover are the M5 interchange and the Second Severn Crossing.

The M4 was instrumental in the boom of the mid 80's Hi-tech belt between Bristol and London.
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

So, we now have a "roads expert" as well as a "ringways expert"

Doing good.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Very good.

Sorry to pick you up Bryn on a point of detail, but you describe coming out of London, initially on the Chiswick flyover "very narrow, slow speed limit, heavily enforced nowadays by speed cameras ....".

There isn't a single speed camera on the outbound M4.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Aha, I knew I'd make an error somewhere - mind you, people do use the M4 both ways and going into London is like an assault course with the cameras...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Bryn666 wrote:Aha, I knew I'd make an error somewhere - mind you, people do use the M4 both ways and going into London is like an assault course with the cameras...
there's only 5 cameras between J4 and J1 and you get to know where they are. No need to break just ease up slowly to go pass them.

Outbound you have to be careful as there are no permanent one's but I have seen plod with a temporary cameras on the bridges. My rule if there is a car parked on a bridge ease up
Derek

Post by Derek »

I wonder if anyone in Berkshire understood a word you said Bryn? Well done :)

Derek
Free the A11
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

A photo from the opening ceremony of the M4 between Holyport and Tormanton 40 years ago today!

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Brenley, I remember those lights well. I was so gutted when they were replaced in 1986 with new ones which were high pressure sodium ones. Thought that was part of my youth going
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Is that the official party ready to leave ? Was it really headed up by a Mini ? And was the following police Mini-van really the best the force could provide ? There are then a couple of Rolls-Royces, the second one notably vintage.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That was one of two interviews involving Bryn on the one day! He did a second (and less succesful, so he says) one for Radio Surrey on the afternoon show on the appeal of the M25.

I have to thank Bryn for doing the morning slot; the station contacted myself to do it but I was away until last night. It took a bit of frantic texting and emailing to sort out... plus I reckon Bryn would have done a better job than me!
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

Brenley Corner wrote:A photo from the opening ceremony of the M4 between Holyport and Tormanton 40 years ago today!

Tony
No VMS saying "KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING"?
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

This Youtube film has early shots of the M4 at J8/9 under construction and also a discussion of the alternative routes considered from Maidenhead to Almondsbury.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

There was once (in 1989, I think) a BBC documentary about the controversies over the choice of route for the M4 between Maidenhead and J18. Sadly I was unable to see it because I was at a college reunion, and I didn't have a video recorder. This clip may possibly be an extract from it. It would be interesting to find out if the whole film still exists anywhere. As far as I know it was only ever shown once. I could probably discover the exact date of the reunion, and hence of the broadcast.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

Just found this article online:

LINK

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Nicholas wrote:That was one of two interviews involving Bryn on the one day! He did a second (and less succesful, so he says) one for Radio Surrey on the afternoon show on the appeal of the M25.
http://bethyngalw.nowster.org.uk/sabre/ ... Sussex.mp3

For a few days. Apologies for the clicks and pops -- they're on the iPlayer recording. He's cut off in his prime as the item was running late.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Yes, as I stated elsewhere, the previous item had someone waffling on for longer than I did. I am amazed someone could do that...

I think I was taken off guard totally by just how daft the notion of a modern day M25 bus tour is... I guess it's a publicity stunt.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck