Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Storm2

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Storm2 »

kit wrote:Bit of a different one - the road sign is actually correct, but they obviously got a bit confused with the paint...

:laugh: Ha ha ha! It means the infamous guess the speed limit game. :wink: Is it 40? Is it 30? Is it neither of those? :lol:

Balancing the books since 2017
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

(with apologies to Harry Hill) "The sign says 40. The roundel says 30. But which is better? There's only one way to find out!"
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
snowdog140

Post by snowdog140 »

Can't even meet them in the middle and do 35, although that would be interesting if you got a ticket going through a camera there.
RichieGraham

Post by RichieGraham »

Glen wrote:
FurryBoots wrote:Yes, but in any case, if you turn left at that roundabout then you eventually come to this which doesn't look too much better for high vehicles and there doesn't seem to be another route to avoid it. I've only had a quick look around that area but I can't see a height restriction sign prior to those bridges.
Those bridges have no restrictions or warnings therefore have at least 5m clearance..
'll have a wander around in the next couple of days, but I think most of the signs round that area have been replaced in readiness for the new bridge opening imminently.
I'm so embarassed that I wish everybody else would just die; Bender Bending Rodrẽguez, Futurama
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

kit wrote:Bit of a different one - the road sign is actually correct, but they obviously got a bit confused with the paint...
Could that be one of the roads where the limit was raised to 40 last year?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
kit
Banned

Post by kit »

Yes, the limit was raised to 40mph from 30mph. At the time they burnt off this, and some other 30mph road markings (some still within the 30mph zone, leaving ugly red tarmac with a burnt out 30mph on it). This has been repainted subsequent to being burnt off.
I didn't want to believe my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.
irrelevant

Post by irrelevant »

Some new signs to parking just gone up around here... Will try and get some pics next time I pass one.

E.g. one with a huge white panel split into three with horizontal lines. Only the top section filled in.. with:

[P] ^ City Centre

(Where ^ is an ahead arrow.) Assuming they are meant to be diagram 2505, should the arrow not be to the left, rather than in the middle?

(BTW, as I was going that way, I followed one of these.. no more signs, nor any indication of any parking..)
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I've seen these as well, they look very odd - presumably the blank panels will have patches applied to them in due course.

Also, which city centre is it referring to? Salford? Manchester?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
irrelevant

Post by irrelevant »

Bryn666 wrote:Also, which city centre is it referring to? Salford? Manchester?
Yes, that was another thought!
IMG_2542.JPG
(Bonus points for telling me why the black sign is [now] wrong..)

Edit: only just noticed the crap alignment of the wording, now I'm not trying to watch the traffic as well..
sgill77

Post by sgill77 »

irrelevant wrote:(Bonus points for telling me why the black sign is [now] wrong..)
It appears to be directing HGVs left at the next junction, but there's a no-left-turn sign at the traffic lights.
Respice, Aspice, Prospice

Blog : Road photos : Musician -- Facebook : Twitter
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

And that sign should have an arrow anyway, not a chevron. It's only petty but I don't think Eastleigh Borough has a single one of these correct, so it really gets on my nerves!
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

irrelevant wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:Also, which city centre is it referring to? Salford? Manchester?
Yes, that was another thought!
IMG_2542.JPG
I'm trying to figure out why there are two big blank panels on these signs? If patching is to be applied, they'll no doubt eventually look a mess.
(Bonus points for telling me why the black sign is [now] wrong..)
These new turning restrictions have proven to be a bit of a sore point. Right turns are now banned off Chapel Street at the Adelphi Street/Oldfield Road junction. TfGM were not happy when I told them about it, as they had not been notified and meant they had to make some very short notice changes to a (tendered) service's route. Put it this way, one banned turning has meant a two miles of this service cannot legally be operated in one direction due to the restriction.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
irrelevant

Post by irrelevant »

Nicholas wrote:These new turning restrictions have proven to be a bit of a sore point. Right turns are now banned off Chapel Street at the Adelphi Street/Oldfield Road junction. TfGM were not happy when I told them about it, as they had not been notified and meant they had to make some very short notice changes to a (tendered) service's route. Put it this way, one banned turning has meant a two miles of this service cannot legally be operated in one direction due to the restriction.
There's a new no-right-turn (except busses) on Oldfield Road northbound into Regent Road too, that has caused a bit of confusion too. (I posted a picture of the botched signs a while back, before they corrected them.) The fire that closed Chester Road the other day threw a lot of traffic up here, and an awful lot were illegally turning right there, blocking the ahead-only lane while they waited to do so, and therefore just adding to the chaos..
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

irrelevant wrote:There's a new no-right-turn (except busses) on Oldfield Road northbound into Regent Road too, that has caused a bit of confusion too. (I posted a picture of the botched signs a while back, before they corrected them.) The fire that closed Chester Road the other day threw a lot of traffic up here, and an awful lot were illegally turning right there, blocking the ahead-only lane while they waited to do so, and therefore just adding to the chaos..
Yet, that would be completely unnecesary if people ignored the TOTSO and continued up Ordsall Lane to Regent Road where the right turn is still permitted. Unless, that is, there was a lengthy queue and people were making the illegal turn to jump ahead.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
michael769

Post by michael769 »

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

Seen at the M5 roadworks this morning:-

"MAJOR WORKS CARRIED OUT AT NIGHT FOR SAFTEY REASONS" :roll:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

They were thinking the A329(M) might eventually end up around there, but the temporary stub has been signed incorrectly with a 'sharp deviation of route' chevron. Whoops!

The red and white barrier marking would have been correct. Like this:

http://g.co/maps/3vkzu
Bryn

dragonv480

Post by dragonv480 »

I'd also have a keep right sign above each also.

But I suspect the OP for this botch may be thinking it's a botch because it's an unprotected series of posts and concrete blocks in the carriageway as opposed to having a keep left sign (and possibly red/white barrier) at the head where the hatchings begin (sign on the central reserve), and then just the hatchings doing the talking, with a further keep left and red/white barrier in the grass where the tarmac actually stops.

This seems to work on the end of the M67 as you head towards Mottram Moor
Last edited by dragonv480 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers! Image

Gaz Wilson
kit
Banned

Post by kit »

Bryn666 wrote:They were thinking the A329(M) might eventually end up around there, but the temporary stub has been signed incorrectly with a 'sharp deviation of route' chevron. Whoops!
Incidentally, what made them stop? It looks like they got almost there with the A3290, and then gave up with less than a mile to go, and a clear corridor next to the railway line, leaving the A3290 ending so conspicuously where it shouldn't. They even have VMS signs on the gantry!

Seems it would have taken a lot of traffic between South Oxfordshire and London out of Henley as well.
I didn't want to believe my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Like what always stops urban roads - NIMBYs and probably a shedload of utility diversions that looked too scary to move.
Bryn