A1(M) DISHFORTH LEEMING BARTON

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Stevie D

Re: A1(M) DISHFORTH LEEMING BARTON

Post by Stevie D »

NICK 647063 wrote:I still think something around dishforth would have been more ideal it would be a good 14 miles from Wetherby and 24 from Scotch corner, even with Leeming you could still have a Dishforth Services!
The problem is where to put it. You would want it south of J49 so that it would catch A168 traffic as well, but there are complications with putting in a southbound MSA when you've got the LAR and an RAF base right alongside the motorway. The easiest option there would be to build a new J48A at the B6265 (which would improve access to Ripon from the south) and add the MSA to that junction.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

stu531 wrote:I reckon new slips to the MSA would be a better idea, from the south. Not sure how feasible they'd be space-wise, but certainly a better arrangement. Would it need to be a different junction number? Thinking about J14 of the M74 at Crawford.
There's no consistency about how split junctions are numbered, even on the same route. On the M74/A74(M), 11 and 12, which together make one complete junction, have two numbers, whereas 14, built a few years later, and in three parts rather than two, and with a larger geographical spread, has 1.

It would be ironic if numbers like 50A appeared on the A1(M) in North Yorks, given that it has so many spare numbers a bit further north.
si404

Post by si404 »

wrinkly wrote:It would be ironic if numbers like 50A appeared on the A1(M) in North Yorks, given that it has so many spare numbers a bit further north.
You'd just jig them about, like was done with 44 and 45.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
farmermike

Post by farmermike »

wrinkly wrote:
Duncan wrote:How far is Happendon from the M74 (or A74(M))?
About a yard if you jump over the fence. Leeming from the A1(M) is not much more.

The entrance to Happendon is about 0.5 miles from J12 and 0.7 from J11.

But much less is added to your journey there than at Leeming, because there are handy junctions both ways, so you leave at one and rejoin at the other. In fact you have to, because the slip roads to do it any other way aren't there. Whereas at Leeming, the next junction to the south is 9.5 miles away.

farmermike wrote: Surely they will press on 12 miles to the new facilities approved for Scotch Corner/Barton.

[snip]

That's why the HA put them in last position in their evidence to the enquiry and the Inspector, after listening to all the arguments for 8 weeks, described Leeming as 'a complete non-starter'.
Is the inspector's report online? Is an official notice of the decision online?

Were Scotch Corner and Barton part of this inquiry or was their expansion approved separately?

I've got a copy of both enquiry reports plus the government decision. I'll try and find a way of directing you to them. Scotch Corner/Barton was approved earlier.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Stevie D wrote:The easiest option there would be to build a new J48A at the B6265 (which would improve access to Ripon from the south) and add the MSA to that junction.
Just don't tell the residents of Kirby Hill. :o
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

farmermike wrote:I've got a copy of both enquiry reports plus the government decision. I'll try and find a way of directing you to them.
Thanks. Meanwhile I'll search for them myself from time to time. Sometimes such things take a week or two to appear on the web.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

farmermike wrote:How many motorists traveling north to Newcastle or Edinburgh will leave the motorway at Junction 51 and head back south for 0.8 miles to the MSA before driving 0.8 miles back north to rejoin the motorway? Surely they will press on 12 miles to the new facilities approved for Scotch Corner/Barton.
How many motorists unfamiliar with the area will be aware that the MSA is actually 0.8 miles away from the junction they're signed on? I imagine if they want to stop, they'll see the "Services" sign and think "ah, let's try these". They'll turn off the road, see a further sign for Services, and follow it. They may then think "hmm, this is a bit of a trek", but by that point I'm sure they will continue into the actual services rather than performing a U-turn and heading back to the motorway!
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

But then never go back.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Its been a while since I've been but how far is Donnington Park services away from the M1? I seem to remember driving for miles!
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Mikeg wrote:Its been a while since I've been but how far is Donnington Park services away from the M1? I seem to remember driving for miles!
Last time I was there - about 2 hours :(
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Donnington is like Happendon in that you leave at one junction and rejoin at the next, so although it is over a mile driving off the motorway it doesn't add any significant additional distance.
Although, as Mark said, the biggest problem is getting stuck in traffic on the A453 to rejoin the M1 northbound.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Mark Hewitt wrote:
Mikeg wrote:Its been a while since I've been but how far is Donnington Park services away from the M1? I seem to remember driving for miles!
Last time I was there - about 2 hours :(
Like Birchanger Green - going southbound, it doesn't add many miles to the journey, but it adds a hell of a lot of minutes.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

It's not over yet re the location of the Services:

From: http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.c ... on_scheme/

THE Government is facing a legal challenge over its decision to grant planning permission for a new motorway service station beside the A1.

A rival company has objected to a ruling by Communities Secretary Eric Pickles which approved an upgrade to Leeming Bar Services, near Bedale, in North Yorkshire.

The scheme would see the existing facilities redeveloped into a motorway service station and Exelby Services and Truck Stop move to the site.

However, lawyers for Leeming Bar Services were today (Monday, Nov 26) issued with legal papers advising that Refined Estates Ltd, which proposed an alternative scheme near Baldersby, between Ripon and Thirsk, was challenging the minister’s decision.

The move is the latest twist in a saga which has been ongoing for more than three years.

The Government announced last month that the Leeming Bar Services was the winning scheme after a public inquiry was held to look at the different options.

The Government announced last month that the Leeming Bar Services was the winning scheme after a public inquiry was held to look at the different options.

Carl Les, owner of Leeming Bar Services, said he was bitterly disappointed at the setback.

“Just when we thought the 100 people who are employed here had a bright future, we are back in a world of doubt with the Sword of Damocles hanging over us.

“I’m again worried for the future and for the many jobs that are here. Everything is back up in the air again.

“We are a family business which is already here and you don’t have to take 40 acres of farmland to do what we want to do.”

Mr Les said he feared other parties would submit separate legal challenges, causing further delays to the redevelopment.

The new service station was proposed to improve facilities on the upgraded A1(M) between Dishforth and Leeming, which was officially opened earlier this year after work began in 2009.

A spokeswoman for the Department for Communities and Local Government said officials had not received details of a legal challenge, however she added that it could be several days before it arrived at the department after being issued.

The Northern Echo was unable to contact Refined Estates Ltd.

So more delay!!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I think the Leeming option is far more sensible despite being off the motorway as redeveloping an existing site is better for retaining jobs and also cheaper.

Madness.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jcb336

Post by jcb336 »

Well today's Autumn Statement means the northern section will be back in the formal programme, thank goodness. No news yet on any timeline. The previous government had already delayed the scheme until 2014, and of course we had a contractor in place. But formal cancellation must have had an impact. So what was the position at cancellation? Some of the orders had been made, affecting the whole section. However the HA had been told by ministers to revise the scheme to provide for a longer local road alongside the motorway. IIRC this would have been published in late 2010, with a reopened public inquiry in the works, somewhere. That will still need to be done. How quickly though?
John Butler
jcb336

Post by jcb336 »

In fact the press release on the DfT website says "works are planned to start in 2013/14 with the scheme open for traffic by 2016/17" I would have thought this presents a challenging timescale. However we must assume that a considerable part of the redesign had been done by the time the plug was pulled. But draft orders and almost inevitably a public inquiry will be required.

Here's the extract from the archived HA website: "Line, Side Road, Detrunking and Appropriation Orders were made on 18th August 2008 and Compulsory Purchase Orders were made on 15th September 2008.

The Line and Appropriation Orders are for A1 Dishforth to Barton. However the Side Road Orders and Compulsory Purchase Orders are for Dishforth to Leeming (the southern phase of the project)".

Presumably the new plans will involve an LAR alongside the plans already done for the new motorway.
John Butler
jcb336

Post by jcb336 »

The 2008 Inspector's report and the decision letter are here.
John Butler
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

As I've said in the A1(M) to Newcastle thread, the new side road order that will be needed has not yet been published. We were expecting an early version of it to be published in 2010 until the project was cancelled.
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

I've been led to believe today that the project was well advanced, line orders are in place, so "just" a case of checking through the scheme and working up the details. Waits with baited breath looking at our office in-tray !
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Haydn1971 wrote:Waits with baited breath looking at our office in-tray !
Baited? Sounds a bit cheesey.