A489/A483 Newtown, Powys - Bypass Work Starts March 2016 - • Opened 14/02/19 •

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AAndy

A489/A483 Newtown, Powys - Bypass Work Starts March 2016 - • Opened 14/02/19 •

Post by AAndy »

At last, long long last, somethings happening in Newtown.

From the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-21968094
The contractor for the long-awaited Newtown bypass in Powys, which is expected to ease traffic problems, has been announced by the Welsh government.

Alun Griffiths Contracts Ltd will work on the £5.6m bypass with engineering and environmental support provided by Atkins and TACP.

Local politicians Russell George AM and MP Glyn Davies have welcomed the news.

Town mayor Val Howard said the town had been waiting 40 years and the bypass was "desperately needed".

Meanwhile, Mr George said the bypass would provide "much needed relief to residents and businesses".

"While it is a few months later than the Welsh government initially suggested, both the first minister and the transport minister have assured me that there will be no slippage in the project timescales."

Mr Davies the bypass would be a "vitally important piece of infrastructure not just for Newtown but for the whole of Wales."

He added: "Newtown is situated on the very important north to south and east to west corridors of the A483 and A489 so this bypass is also of vital strategic importance.]

"Residents and business have suffered horrendous traffic problems for many years and this road will do much to ease those problems."

The scheme will improve safety, reduce congestion and improve journey times around Newtown.

Mayor Val Howard said there had been calls for a bypass since 1972.

"The latest news from the Welsh government is welcome, but after waiting 40 years for a bypass I'm sure a lot of people will still be apprehensive," she said.

"I sincerely hope it will take place because Newtown desperately needs a bypass."
Safeguard jobs

Transport Minister Edwina Hart: "I am delighted to be able to award the contract for this very important project, which will improve the quality of life for the people of Newtown and improve journey times and safety along the A483 and A489."

Other transport improvements, including footway and cycle ways, will be included in the contract. Once the bypass is completed, there will be further improvements to the traffic flow though the town, said Ms Hart.

"It is also encouraging to see that a Welsh company has won this tender, which will help safeguard Welsh jobs and result in money staying in the local economy," she said.

The next stage will the preparation of the preliminary design and publication of the draft orders, which is expected by April 2014.

The Federation of Small Business in Wales also welcomed the announcement.

Regional development manager Dai Davies added: "In time the traffic problems which are causing severe problems to businesses and residents alike will be a thing of the past."

But he warned that efforts must be made to ensure that signage in the town centre is of the highest quality, so that tourists will still be encouraged to visit.
Last edited by AAndy on Thu Mar 23, 2023 19:54, edited 7 times in total.
orudge
Site Manager

Re: A483 Newtown, Powys - Bypass Now Contracted

Post by orudge »

Hurrah! It's been a while since I've been down that way, but Newtown was always a bad spot for traffic, so it's fantastic that the bypass is now actually on the cards.
M56phil

Post by M56phil »

Does anyone have a detailed map of the route?

What standard of road will it be? I would hope for a D2 but my guess it will be an S2 job with roundabouts.

I think what they need to do next is improve the A483 south of Newtown to L.L.Wells/Builth Wells. This stretch of the A483 is frankly an absolute disgrace for a north-south corridor route.

Overtime, small improvements to this road will eventually shave off some of the north/south traffic using the M5/M50/A40/A449 corridors.

Its a pity the assembly couldn't put in a few small D2 bits, it would help alot as roads like the A483 get a lot of slow driver traffic and farm vehicles.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

AAndy wrote:At last, long long last, somethings happening in Newtown.
From the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-21968094
The contractor for the long-awaited Newtown bypass in Powys, which is expected to ease traffic problems, has been announced by the Welsh government.
Alun Griffiths Contracts Ltd will work on the £5.6m bypass with engineering and environmental support provided by Atkins and TACP.
The BBC has revised the text to match the WAG press release. It now correctly states a "5.6km bypass" - you don't get much road for £5.6M nowadays.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

M56phil wrote:Does anyone have a detailed map of the route?
http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2010 ... wn-bypass/

Edit: or see the last page of this document, where it's the orange route.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

RichardA35 wrote:The BBC has revised the text to match the WAG press release. It now correctly states a "5.6km bypass" - you don't get much road for £5.6M nowadays.
Alas it wasn't hugely long ago when you did get 5.6km for £5.6m !! The initial M1 cost was often given as "a million pounds a mile" :)
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

WHBM wrote:
RichardA35 wrote:The BBC has revised the text to match the WAG press release. It now correctly states a "5.6km bypass" - you don't get much road for £5.6M nowadays.
Alas it wasn't hugely long ago when you did get 5.6km for £5.6m !! The initial M1 cost was often given as "a million pounds a mile" :)
Quite a long time ago actually - for greenfield new build trunk roads, about 1987 it was about £1M per km of wide single carriageway and 1.5 - 2 x that for dual carriageway/motorway. That, of course, was the letting price not the final account which would have been settled for an uplift of about 35% in those days.
Nowadays, the HA is monitored on the outturn final account figures where the uplift is a lot lower through mature forms of contract and sensible risk apportionment.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

WHBM wrote:The initial M1 cost was often given as "a million pounds a mile" :)
That sounds a bit on the high side to me. The M6 from J15 to J29 was opened four years later in 1963, and my recollection is that it cost about two-thirds or three-quarters of a million pounds a mile. That probably excludes the Thelwall and Gathurst viaducts, which were built under advance contracts.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

No real surprise that Griffiths got the contract. They've been going great guns on the A470 improvement schemes recently. Surprised they didn't get/go for glandyfi too.
Built for comfort, not speed.
loch_cuan73

Post by loch_cuan73 »

It's good news on this, but a pity the topography doesn't allow a more direct link to the A483 to the south. I was last along here 5 years ago and remember the narrow twisty section just south of Newtown. There doesn't look to be a direct link to the A489(A49) route.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

After a 40-year campaign preparatory work has finally begun on a bypass for Newtown in Powys.

Contractors Alan Griffiths Ltd this week got the green light to begin geological surveys of the proposed 3.4 mile (5.6km) route.

Local assembly member Russell George said the Welsh government had confirmed construction work was on schedule to begin in early 2015.

It is estimated to be completed in early 2017.

In the meantime, and to relieve congestion while the works are going on, Powys council and the Welsh government have agreed a series of slip roads around the busy confluence of the north to south and east to west corridors of the A483 and A489.
from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-24717557
rhyds

Re: A483 Newtown, Powys - Bypass Started (was: Now Contracte

Post by rhyds »

This makes sense, as Griffiths have recently completed the A470 Cross Foxes to Maes yr Helmau scheme.
Built for comfort, not speed.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

And as has been said elsewhere... they just need to sort out Pant, builth, Llyswen and Rhayder... then a north south route without stumbling towns would be realised.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

see: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-26561690
Changes to Newtown bypass plans could save £5m, government says

Changes to a bypass which has been 40 years in the planning could save around £5m, the Welsh government has said.

Revisions have been made to the preferred route for the Newtown bypass in Powys, which aim to cut its environmental impact.

Changes at four locations will avoid gas mains and reduce the amount of earthworks needed, Transport Minister Edwina Hart said.

The 3.4 mile (5.6km) route was approved last year.

"These changes to the route will simplify the work required, which will reduce the impact on the environment and allow work on this important project to start sooner," Mrs Hart said.

"The bypass will improve the quality of life for the people of Newtown and improve journey times and safety along the A483 and A489."

Changes will also mean there will be an overtaking lane for the whole length of the bypass and the amended route will be further away from Garth Owen housing estate.

The new plans also mean drivers will cross over, not under, the Cambrian railway line and at the A489 junction a roundabout will be added.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I guess the A489 will lose its grade-separated junction then. The proliferation of roundabouts on modern bypasses continues! I suppose a bypass with lots of roundabouts is still better than no bypass at all. And having an overtaking lane for the full length will be good.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

orudge wrote:I guess the A489 will lose its grade-separated junction then. The proliferation of roundabouts on modern bypasses continues! I suppose a bypass with lots of roundabouts is still better than no bypass at all. And having an overtaking lane for the full length will be good.
But it will be a split O/T lane and split several times I guess so it may only be for 25% of it's length in either direction which would include dumbing down for the roundabouts.

But... you're right, it is better than no bypass at all and I don't think it needs anything more ( other than GSJ's).
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

There's now a press release and there'll be an exhibition in April.

Maps of the old and new routes here.

Junctions and side roads for the new route not yet shown.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Somebody does not like the hastely revised scheme.

BBC today: my bold:
A caravan park owner claims plans for a Newtown bypass that will be on public display later will destroy his business.

In March the Welsh government announced revisions to the preferred route of the bypass which could save the project £5m.

This includes bringing the route 80 metres closer to Glandulas Caravan Park, owned by Trevor Bebb.

He claims the new plans will cut the park in two.

The bypass route revisions will be on display at a public exhibition at The Elephant and Castle Hotel in Newtown between 10:00 BST and 20:00 BST on Tuesday.

Mr Bebb said the proposed bypass route would bisect the park which currently has 80 static caravans on it.

He added: "The Welsh government think I can continue operating with a £1m bridge being built to link one part of the park with the other.

"This is a popular park that brings money into Newtown but I fear the business will have to close if this bypass route is not changed.

"I think the business will not be viable while the bypass is being built let alone afterwards.

"People come here for peace and quiet but they will have to put up with the noise of construction work as well as peering out at a roundabout once the bypass is built."

Newtown's Mayor, Rhina Clarke, said: "Everyone in Newtown is fed up with gridlock in the town every Friday afternoon although I do not know if the bypass will solve that problem.

"Whichever route is decided it is important for the town's businesses that correct signage is used so that people will still be able to come to Newtown and use its shops, cafes and restaurants."

Overtaking lane

Llanidloes bypass was opened 14 miles from Newtown in 1991.

Gareth Morgan, the town's county councillor, said: "I was against the bypass at the time but I think it has benefitted the town.

"It would be impossible for the town to cope with the amount of traffic in Mid Wales these days."

The Welsh government claims the revisions to the preferred route for the bypass aim to cut its environmental impact.

Changes at four locations will avoid gas mains and reduce the amount of earthworks needed.

The proposed amendments also include an overtaking lane for the whole length of the bypass and the new route will be further away from Garth Owen housing estate.

The new plans also mean drivers will cross over, not under, the Cambrian railway line and at the A489 junction a roundabout will be added.

The 3.4 mile (5.6km) route was approved last year and a consultation on the draft orders will be held in the summer.

A Welsh government spokesman said: "Comments on the amended route can be submitted during the consultation on draft orders."
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Draft orders published:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2238326

Also other notices up about the environmental statement being published.

The title of this thread was premature - it's an Early Contractor Involvement scheme.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Re Thread title... it was changed from "A483 Newtown, Powys - Bypass Now Contracted", at the time of the post below, to it's current title because of the report quoted.

AAndy wrote:
After a 40-year campaign preparatory work has finally begun on a bypass for Newtown in Powys.

Contractors Alan Griffiths Ltd this week got the green light to begin geological surveys of the proposed 3.4 mile (5.6km) route.

Local assembly member Russell George said the Welsh government had confirmed construction work was on schedule to begin in early 2015.

It is estimated to be completed in early 2017.

In the meantime, and to relieve congestion while the works are going on, Powys council and the Welsh government have agreed a series of slip roads around the busy confluence of the north to south and east to west corridors of the A483 and A489.
from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-24717557