Some all new duplicated roads!

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SouthWest Philip

Some all new duplicated roads!

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Hi there ladies and gentleman,
Following the successful outcome to my opening debate as a new member of the forum (B4027 - A Brief History) I know feel confident enough to start another.
Has anyone mentioned before these duplicated roads -
A594 - This can be found between Cockermouth and Maryport in Cumbria. The second is the Leicester Inner Ring Road.
A6177 - The Bradford Rind Road and also the recently renumbered road from Blackburn to Rawtenstall in Lancashire.
With regards to the A594 in Leicester I thought perhaps it might have been intended as a use for the apparantly vacant A564 number.
Can anyone enlighten me...?
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

I'm sure the A594 has been mentioned before - the A564 theory is interesting - someone will have to go to the HA archive soon!
I've got a curious duplication - the B1190 extends both east and west of Lincoln, to Horncastle (A158) via Bardneyandto near Saxilby (A57) via Doddington. If it's one continuous road, it must multiplex with three other roads (B1188, A15, A1434 (former A46)), and is the only B-road to cross Lincoln (an achievement the mighty A57 fails to manage). Alternatively, we have another duplicate.
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

My 1960 road atlas shows the B1190 running as you say except that in Lincoln it multiplexes with the A46 for about 2 miles. Therefore, I don't think you've got a duplicate number here. I think that the two distinct sections have become separated by the cosntruction of the Lincoln bypass (A46).
Thanks for pointing this one out - I've now stumbled across the B1003 which I can add to the B1*** on the Roads List Pages. The B1000, B1001 and B1004 are all in Hertfordshire. Any offers for the B1002?
M4 Man
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

Sorry folks, a typo in the above message - I've got the B1002 (old A12) - it's the B1005 I'm still looking for.
M4 Man

Guy-Barry
Banned

Post by Guy-Barry »

Philip: << Hi there ladies and gentleman >>
Hi there!
<< Has anyone mentioned before these duplicated roads >>
All the ones we know about areon Paul (A38)'s UK Roads site at http://www.angelfire.com/80s/pmberry0/u ... takes.html
<< A594 - This can be found between Cockermouth and Maryport in Cumbria. The second is the Leicester Inner Ring Road.>>
This has been mentioned a few times! I think Chris Bertram spotted it first.
<< A6177 - The Bradford Rind Road and also the recently renumbered road from Blackburn to Rawtenstall in Lancashire. >>
New to me! What was the number before? No, let me guess... A677 and they just shoved a "1" in it, right? Pathetic. The Highways Department in Blackburn should all be frogmarched down to SE1 to look at the register...
<< With regards to the A594 in Leicester I thought perhaps it might have been intended as a use for the apparantly vacant A564 number. >><A target=_top name=a564> Roads by 10 has the following. "This is..." at the beginning should presumably read "this used to be..."
A564: A38 (nr Willington) - A6 (nr Aston-upon-Trent)
This is the Derby Southern Bypass, a motorway-standard primary road running between the A38 and the A6. It has recently been renumbered as part of the A50, and as a consequence the number is no more.
[/url] So does anyone know whether this road or the Leicester Inner Ring is older? There's certainly some logic in what Philip says since the A563number was usedfor the Leicester Outer Ring.
Guy
Guy-Barry
Banned

Post by Guy-Barry »

<A target=_top name=a677> Further light is shed on the A6177 in Bob's Roads by 10 article on the A677, reproduced below. (It seems I was half-right with my theory.)
Guy
A677: Blackburn - Salmesbury/A59 (formerly Haslingden - Salmesbury)
A bit truncated now following the opening of the M65 and some buggering about with the numbering. Used to leave Haslingden for a good run over the moors (a theme amongst the 670s you'll notice) to Blackburn. This is now the B6236, following the renumbering of the parallel (and inferior) B6232 as the A6177 (note the added '1' to 'avoid' confusion). The reason for this presumably being that the B6232 has got a junction with the M65 (being the location of most of Blackburn's industrial estates), and the old A677 doesn't. However, to avoid traffic on the main A56 using either road as a 'short cut' (ie, the most direct and obvious route) to Blackburn, the A6177 is now signposted "Darwen", with an extra sign advising lorries to use the A56/M65 for Blackburn in case they think of cheating. So why renumber in the first place?.... Now the A677 starts in Blackburn, where it was always the link to Preston and the M6 (pre-M65), and had trunk road status. Now detrunked, it is still a primary route. Joins the A59 just east of the M6, and is a good road, in spite of 50 limit throughout. Never use it now though. [/url]
Paul

Post by Paul »

Good detective work Philip and Guy! I've updated the mistakes page accordingly (and chnaged the tense in the A564 entry...). What would we do without you? Not get any work done that's what!
A38
Regards,
Paul
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

B1190 - the route of the B1190 is the same as before the A46 bypass was built, but what was the A46 (under which the B1190 multiplexed) is now the A1434. The A46 then multiplexed with the A15 up the High Street (present B1262), whilst the present A15 in downhill Lincoln was, at least after the flyover was built in 1958 until the northern part of the High Street was pedestrianised, the A158. Anyone have a detailed map of the area from before 1958? I rather suspect that the present route of the A15, across the three way Durham Ox level crossing (2 rail, one road) was not an Aroad!
BobSykes

Post by BobSykes »

<< A6177 - The Bradford Rind Road and also the recently renumbered road from Blackburn to Rawtenstall in Lancashire. >>
bloody hell you're right - i use both roads fairly often on my travelsand can't believe i never spotted this.
i wonder whose fault this actually is? the B6232 was officially renumbered when the M65 opened (December 1997), and was signed (by HA one imagines) from the motorway as "A6177" from day one of the m'way opening, but it took ages before all the existing B6232 signs along that route were replaced with the current number, which would presumably have been Lancs CC responsibility (I think the signs on the A56 only got updated last year or year b4 that). It seems to me that it was HA who decided upon this renumbering, rather than LCC doing it of their own steam and simply not doing their homework. I believe the Bradford version is a trunk route round the east of the city, and you would therefore think thatHA might have known better.
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

I've added a bit to M4Man's entry on the Roads site on the B1003. It's either got a "useless" multiplex (with the B1273) or it'sin two parts. Perhaps someone with access rights can combine the two B1003 entries?
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

T1(M)
Thanks for the contribution on the B1003 and the extra bits about the B1190. I'm still baffled about why this road is so far away from its adjacent numbers. Anyway, my 1960 atlas has come up trumps again - I've found the B1005 - and it would appear that I've driven on it many times. It is now known as the A1060 and ran from Bishops Stortford to Hatfield Heath. I'll add that to the Roads List page
M4Man