BNRR info

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

gazzaman28

BNRR info

Post by gazzaman28 »

I've been looking into whats going on with the BNRR (Birmingham Northern Relief Road). Check out www.bnrr.co.uk for more info.
Does anyone know whether it will take on the M6 name or whether it will have some new title?
From the M42 going north past the M6 flyover you can see the layout of the new road. They've also started work on the southern M6 interchange, as they closed J3-4 over the weekend. Theres also a lot of work on the A446 just north of the M6 J4 where presumably a new bridge will have to be built over the top the BNRR.
It should be a good road, lets hope they keep the toll prices down otherwise it could be a waste of money.
Ah A74(M), such a great road, but it must be annoying that everyone gets your name wrong! You're an anonymous hero :)
phil elliott

Post by phil elliott »

Last night I went to a Staffordshire Archeological Society meeting at which a member of the Archeological team talked about what they had found along the route of the BNRR as the top surface has been stripped. Basically "not a lot". Evidence ofa large Roman hall just south of the existing Roman site at Wall on the A5 was the biggest find.
The Community Relations man from Camba the construction company was also there. He gave a few figures that I thought might interest you.
The Contract cost is ?485.5 million, wholly privately funded. He was at great pains to emphasise that there are no hidden Government subsidies and thereis no revenue until the first toll is taken. All costs have to be met from Tolls. The total costs will come to ?700million when all compensation is paid.
10million cu metres of earth are being moved around the site and are being entirely transported and reused within the scheme as embankments and screening.. There are 57 bridges, 20 Culverts and 7 Toll stations. 1.4million sq metres of surface will be laid. Some reseeding and reinstatement has already started.
On a personal note it is currently a pain in the neck as my wife works on the other side of it and has to allow at least 15 minutes more on a 30 min journey even at 7 in the morning. Many of the minor roads have been severed forcing everyone onto the main roads. The A5 has just been diverted west of Muckley Corner for the first time in hundreds of years. The Archeologist is hoping to find Roman foundations under that bit.