Coventry Middle Ringroad?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Nic

Coventry Middle Ringroad?

Post by Nic »

Ok, Coventry inner ringroad has a certain place in history.
Coventry Outer ringroad (A45/46) is well known too, but were there ever plans for a middle ringroad inbetween the two.

I present a little evidence.

[map]

Whilst driving the single carriageway'd A4082 it was noticeable that there was considerable land to the east side, to squeeze in a DC. The Railway bridge has an extended span to fit in the DC.

If it is the case, the plans have been long since abandoned, due to the size of the bridges carrying the road over the road. The bridges hug the side of the road at either side, and whilst it wouldnt take much effort to extand the bride, its certainly easier to future proof it when building it.

[Google Map]
Nic
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

To the north the road becomes unclassifield but is called Hipswell Highway then changes to Sewell Highway. It continues as Proffitt Ave before proceeding towards the A444. This may possibly have been a proposed early eastern bypass as the current eastern bypass wasn't built then.
mittfh

Post by mittfh »

On the Western side of the city the B4107 Four Pounds Avenue looks a likely suspect.

Speculation: To the South it continues into Queensland Avenue, but quickly narrows to look almost indistinguishable from other residential streets (although the aerial photo suggests it has more trees than its neighbours). South again and a fudged alignment along Earlsdon Avenue before stopping dead at the War Memorial Park. Possibly then E along Kenilworth Road and smashing through a housing estate to meet the U/C Daventry Road, which eventually meets the Whitely Interchange and the A4082.

Dodgy speculation: To the North of Four Pounds Avenue, the nearest you can get are Mosely Avenue, Lawrence Saunders Road and Lydgate Road.

Wild speculation: link to Cash's Lane, link to Red Lane, link to Blackberry Lane, connection to Sewall Highway.
mattling

Post by mattling »

Coventry kind of had half a cobbled together middle ring road - the aforementioned A4082. You can find its remains - the imaginatively named B4082 a little to the east of the northern end of the A4082 and then again crossing the north side of the city.

The routes mentioned in the previous posts do work as a way of getting around the city avoiding the centre.

Tracing the ring around it would (does) squeeze throught Earlsdon as Earlsdon Ave North and South and then continues on through Cheylesmore as Daventry Rd before linking up with the southern end of the A4082 - all except that Memorial Park blocks the road's progress.

Perhaps a New York Central Park style expressway was envisaged cutting through Memorial Park? A project worthy of a great city like Coventry!

I feel a fantasy map coming on...
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

mattling wrote:Coventry kind of had half a cobbled together middle ring road - the aforementioned A4082. You can find its remains - the imaginatively named B4082...
Which would be fine if the B4082 didn't already exist in Worcestershire! (Pinvin to Upton Snodsbury.)
Martin

Post by Martin »

This was on my mobile phone - looking at the map there's no way this could be built without wholesale destruction.

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

"Urban Motor Road" - love it!

The north-south (A444) route I have seen before; the other diagonal one passing north-west of the city centre is new to me.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Chris5156 wrote:The north-south (A444) route I have seen before;.
Yeah, that's the Coventry North-South Motorway - got reasonably close to being built, too!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

mattling

Post by mattling »

yes the urban motor road to the west of the city centre is interesting! Some of that route corresponds to some suspiciously wide roads in that part of the city, and some of the areas it passes through have recently been the scene of wholesale demolition (turning brown-field sites into housing mostly).

I'll try to post some links to the roads I mean