Traffic lights for private properties

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

L.J.D

Re: Traffic lights for private properties

Post by L.J.D »

jervi wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 20:11 * On the other side of the bridge there is a pelican crossing
What with flashing ambers and green men ? If so that's a super unique setup!
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I don't think shuttle working with pedestrian facilities are that unusual.

Without wanting to just list them off, some of the more unusual ones I'm aware of include this one in Blackburn and this one in Newton which have facilities to actually cross through the shuttle working section using the carriageway space.
Simon
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 08:42 I don't think shuttle working with pedestrian facilities are that unusual.

Without wanting to just list them off, some of the more unusual ones I'm aware of include this one in Blackburn and this one in Newton which have facilities to actually cross through the shuttle working section using the carriageway space.
What is unusual is what appears to be a single ped aspect facing the road either side of the bridge.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

wallmeerkat wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 14:49 Traffic light for a kitchen showroom

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.69645 ... ?entry=ttu

Traffic light for a small business park

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.59038 ... ?entry=ttu
Traffic light for an allotment:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DULYk1ixMFjHKsfu6
Let it snow.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 18:09What is unusual is what appears to be a single ped aspect facing the road either side of the bridge.
Those are white aspects, I believe intended to illuminate the reflective arch marking signs fitted to the bridge. They've got a bit of a 'smokey' lens, I imagine to try and stop it dazzling oncoming drivers.
Simon
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Alderpoint wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 13:56
wallmeerkat wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 14:49 Traffic light for a kitchen showroom

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.69645 ... ?entry=ttu

Traffic light for a small business park

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.59038 ... ?entry=ttu
Traffic light for an allotment:

Wow, full traffic light and it's on a drop kerb :D
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Alderpoint wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 13:56 Traffic light for an allotment:

Looks scarily similar to this that I posted in this thread getting on for three years ago. Identical, in fact.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Big L wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:48
Alderpoint wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 13:56 Traffic light for an allotment:
Looks scarily similar to this that I posted in this thread getting on for three years ago. Identical, in fact.
Yep that's the same one. Repeat posts are quite common on here, as it's not obvious how to find them using the search facility and it's a bit unrealistic to expect posters to scroll back through many pages of posts, potentially across many different threads.
Let it snow.
Oneorangedog

Post by Oneorangedog »

Hi, we are searching for some good examples/manufacturers of really small/neat looking private traffic lights of a push-button nature...
We have legal rights over a 0.5 mile farm track to our woodland and want to try to get planning approval for a small number of cabins within the woods. The pre-app states that we would likely need a number of passing places to ensure safe use of the track by the increased traffic - however the track owner will now not allow us to install passing places [sadly].
Another option might be a simple/small traffic light system with wireless connectivity to each light, and a push button activation...
Any ideas are welcome!
Thanks
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Oneorangedog wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 17:31 Hi, we are searching for some good examples/manufacturers of really small/neat looking private traffic lights of a push-button nature...
We have legal rights over a 0.5 mile farm track to our woodland and want to try to get planning approval for a small number of cabins within the woods. The pre-app states that we would likely need a number of passing places to ensure safe use of the track by the increased traffic - however the track owner will now not allow us to install passing places [sadly].
Another option might be a simple/small traffic light system with wireless connectivity to each light, and a push button activation...
Any ideas are welcome!
Thanks
I assume that your lights would be solar powered. At 15 mph, it will take two minutes for a vehicle to travel the length of the track, so if this it the minimum speed that woudl be appropriate, the light woudl have to allow a two minute window minumum for a vehicle to traverse its length - a time which , in my opinion, woudl be far toooooo longggggg.
Oneorangedog

Post by Oneorangedog »

Ok, thats an interesting point about the distance/time, @Vierwielen.
Would it be better with a PIR sensor setup at each end of the track? The lights at the roadside entrance would need to be off/inactive until someone pulled into the entrance area.
Also, it is more likely this unit would be battery powered.
Cheers,
tom66

Post by tom66 »

If it's a private road, I wonder why the council is getting upset at the need for traffic management (is it really their responsibility, providing it doesn't cause a hazard on the public highway?)

Also, if it is a 0.5 mile long track and traffic travels along it at, say, 20 mph then a vehicle is only present on it for 90 seconds. To have a greater than 10% chance of a conflict in any hour (requiring a vehicle to back up), you would need more than 4-5 users on that road per hour. How many cabins are you building? Unless you're constructing hundreds of cabins, I can't see the occasional departure and arrival of a vehicle causing much of a headache.

Of course, councils might see it differently, I've never had the pleasure of dealing with their traffic management departments.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

What is visibility like? Can I see a vehicle approach? Are there any gates/verges that could act as defacto passing places?
Oneorangedog

Post by Oneorangedog »

wallmeerkat wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:44 What is visibility like? Can I see a vehicle approach? Are there any gates/verges that could act as defacto passing places?
So, additionally we have been granted planning permission for a house in the woods and as part of that approval we have permission to construct a passing place at the entrance off the highway, on the verge [once it has been re-surfaced etc]. We also have a passing place approved on our woodland entrance at the other end of the 0.5mile track.
The track dips down into the valley about 1/2 way along, so visibility from one end to the other is not available.

I will try to insert a pictureImage [our approved passing place is going to be on the RHS as you drive towards the gate from the highway - see attached pics]
tom66 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:28 If it's a private road, I wonder why the council is getting upset at the need for traffic management (is it really their responsibility, providing it doesn't cause a hazard on the public highway?)

Also, if it is a 0.5 mile long track and traffic travels along it at, say, 20 mph then a vehicle is only present on it for 90 seconds. To have a greater than 10% chance of a conflict in any hour (requiring a vehicle to back up), you would need more than 4-5 users on that road per hour. How many cabins are you building? Unless you're constructing hundreds of cabins, I can't see the occasional departure and arrival of a vehicle causing much of a headache.

Of course, councils might see it differently, I've never had the pleasure of dealing with their traffic management departments.
I think the councils main concern is about multiple vehicles backing up onto the highway causing accidents etc. To be fair, in this pre-app request we asked for 12 cabins where it might be more likely that we have 5-6 instead.

I wonder if we could argue that 5-6 cabins will generate sufficient traffic for the approved passing places to work?

The main reason for asking this question of the forum was also to see if we could also use a mini traffic light system to reduce their concerns?
Many thanks!
Attachments
photo from track towards highway
photo from track towards highway
photo from highway towards gate
photo from highway towards gate
tom66

Post by tom66 »

I think a bigger concern you may have is that track is not really suitable for average front-wheel drive cars year round, if it's boggy and wet on the day you have people coming over you might find you're asked to tow people out. Especially an issue if it is used many times in a day. So some form of tarmac or stone surface may be needed which would be a bigger concern than traffic in terms of safety/convenience IMO.

You probably want to start your own thread to discuss this as it's bordering on unrelated to the original thread.
Oneorangedog

Post by Oneorangedog »

tom66 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 19:54 I think a bigger concern you may have is that track is not really suitable for average front-wheel drive cars year round, if it's boggy and wet on the day you have people coming over you might find you're asked to tow people out. Especially an issue if it is used many times in a day. So some form of tarmac or stone surface may be needed which would be a bigger concern than traffic in terms of safety/convenience IMO.

You probably want to start your own thread to discuss this as it's bordering on unrelated to the original thread.
Thanks, but it is a forestry commission standard track with a hardcore base so it won't really be an issue. We have had numerous forestry vehicles and fully laden articulated wagons use the track with no problems.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

This small business park in Stepps near Glasgow seems to have it's own traffic light - https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8908272 ... ?entry=ttu

The S1 entrance leads to a one way system, but I'm not sure how vehicles enter if someone is waiting on the light. There is a stop line before the give way of the one way system but I can't see a road sensor.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

wallmeerkat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 13:37 There is a stop line before the give way of the one way system but I can't see a road sensor.
It looks like to me that there's a vehicle detector mounted to the signal facing the driveway.
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)