Escape Lanes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Squadgy

Escape Lanes

Post by Squadgy »

Had a search, but couldn't find a topic on Escape Lanes. By escape lane I'm referring to the sections of 'road', (but are usually areas filled with loose chippings/ sand), to stop vehicles whos brakes have failed coming down a steep hill.

Is an escape lane the correct term for these? Under what circumstances are they provided? Can people provide examples of where they are located?

To start with I know of onw on the A682 on the outskirts of Burnley, and there was one on the A55 near Rhuallt before it was dualled - I'm sure there must be plenty of others !
Ste
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

I'm not sure if there's a requirement for escape lanes (that is the term used on the signs). I can think of loads of places with them - A39 Porlock, A391 St Austell bypass, A390 Lostwithiel and St Austell, A39 Countisbury etc.
a228_mb

Post by a228_mb »

They are signed as escape lanes so this is their technical name.

Examples include e/b on the A20 between M20 J2 and the A227, and also next to the tollbooths s/b after the QEII bridge on the A282 (M25).
Martin

You know the name, you know the number. a228_mb
Paul

Re: Escape Lanes

Post by Paul »

Squadgy wrote:Is an escape lane the correct term for these? Under what circumstances are they provided? Can people provide examples of where they are located?
One just here on the A6 between Buxton and Bakewell. The road, heading eastbound, has just come off the Taddington Bypass on a long downhill stretch. The escape lane is about 100 yards of deep gravel.

You'll find them on most major rural trunk routes at the foot of long descents.
Regards,
Paul
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

there is a section in DMRB about Escape Lanes... never had to build one myself, so couldn't comment on the "requirements" except perhaps a frequent trend for HGV runaway accidents ???? :¬)
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
M60-Tony

Post by M60-Tony »

A628 dropping down to Silkstone
Tony

"We have more and more laws, and less and less law enforcement."
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

LOL I love that one coming off the Dartford Bridge.

If theres any kind of queue at the toll booths, you will hit the back of the queue before you get to the escape lane DOHHHHHHHHHHH :D :D :D

Apart from that, theres one on Garrowby in East Yorks, and another at the bottom of Jubilee Way heading into Dover. Unfortunately there is a roundabout between the hill and the escape lane, so pray you aren't going round it when a runaway truck comes down. Kent CC again DOHHHH. Theres another one that I can see but not place grr it'll come to me.

Wolfie.
Wolfie

FB me!
C83

Post by C83 »

A9 Berriedale.
mwacuk

Post by mwacuk »

Yeh the only one i can think of is the one at the bottom of staxton hill before it B-road meets the A64 heading towaords scarborough, wasnt aware of any in east yorkshire tho???

Would an escape lane actually stop a runnaway car, they always seem really short and there never looks to be enough gravel/sand to do much. They look like they'd may be slow a car down alot but not make it come to a complete halt before it reached the end...usally a forbidding looking dry stone wall!
Kind Regards

Marc O'M
a228_mb

Post by a228_mb »

IIRC there is an escape lane across a roundabout near M20 J133
Martin

You know the name, you know the number. a228_mb
Andrew Teale

Post by Andrew Teale »

There's an escape lane on the B6478 just north of Waddington, Lancs, near the bottom of the descent from Easington Fell.

I *think* there's one on the A59 at the bottom of Beamsley Hill.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

And on the B1249 heading to the A64 at Staxton...
Mediaman_12

Post by Mediaman_12 »

The gravel that is put in them is the same that's used on Racetracks. It stops 200mph F1 cars so road cars should be no problem. However it needs very regular maintenance, on an F1 track it gets raked in-between each race, when it's left it gets clogged up with moss and grass, and gets quite solid, in this state it's next to useless.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Yeh the only one i can think of is the one at the bottom of staxton hill before it B-road meets the A64 heading towaords scarborough, wasnt aware of any in east yorkshire tho???
And on the B1249 heading to the A64 at Staxton...
There is??? :shock:

Can't say as I have ever noticed, and I live just down the road. I'm off to have a look now LOL :D

Wolfie :oops:

Garrowby, between Stamford Bridge and Fridaythorpe on the A166, here.
Wolfie

FB me!
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

The gravel that is put in them is the same that's used on Racetracks. It stops 200mph F1 cars so road cars should be no problem. However it needs very regular maintenance, on an F1 track it gets raked in-between each race, when it's left it gets clogged up with moss and grass, and gets quite solid, in this state it's next to useless.
Yeah the one on Garrowby is all overgrown. I'm curious, what makes one gravel better than another at stopping runaways??

Wolfie.
Wolfie

FB me!
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

Mediaman_12 wrote:The gravel that is put in them is the same that's used on Racetracks. It stops 200mph F1 cars so road cars should be no problem. However it needs very regular maintenance, on an F1 track it gets raked in-between each race, when it's left it gets clogged up with moss and grass, and gets quite solid, in this state it's next to useless.
Though the escape lanes on main roads are there mainly for HGVs which are much heavier and so going to dig into the gravel even if it has some moss or grass on it.

MB
si404

Post by si404 »

a228_mb wrote:IIRC there is an escape lane across a roundabout near M20 J133
I hope that's M20 j13...

There A2 ends with an escape lane going through the roundabout with the end of the A20 and the Western Docks.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

There A2 ends with an escape lane going through the roundabout with the end of the A20 and the Western Docks.
I mentioned that one already, thats Jubilee Way.
Wolfie

FB me!
Paul

Post by Paul »

mwacuk wrote:Would an escape lane actually stop a runnaway car, they always seem really short and there never looks to be enough gravel/sand to do much. They look like they'd may be slow a car down alot but not make it come to a complete halt before it reached the end...usally a forbidding looking dry stone wall!
They're designed to stop artics I believe so should stop your car. I'm actually driving up to Scarborough tomorrow though I don't think I'll be testing out the escape lane!! :o
Regards,
Paul
Elliott

Post by Elliott »

There's one here near Luton. Only one where I remember the location.