NZ road signs (18 photos)

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

sydneynick

NZ road signs (18 photos)

Post by sydneynick »

I spent last week travelling around the South Island of NZ. Knowing that some Sabristi have a keen - some might say obsessive - interest in road signs, I took some photos.

Advance direction signs are similar to Australia, but can show great inventiveness in showing junction layout. This one is in Kaikoura.

After a junction, there is sometimes a route confirmation sign. (Note that most signs are white on green but some are white on blue, for no apparent reason.)

Roads through the mountains are often closed in winter, so there are signs to say whether the road is open.

Some signs can be misleading. This one looks as if it shows the layout of a road junction, but it actually says you can detour to Nugget Point and then rejoin the through road several miles further along.

Signs for local road names are usually white on blue, while minor roads have their destinations shown by a finger post in black on yellow. The black on yellow seems to be a hangover from when the AA provided all the road signs. Here's an example. "No exit" is the NZ way of saying "No through road".

On main roads, most sharp bends have an advisory speed sign, which is considerably more helpful than the UK "SLOW". (How slow?) Here's one on the Crown Range near Queenstown, advising 25 km/h.

A fine collection of signs at the top of Crown Range, which is said to be the highest main road in Australasia at over 1200 metres.

Another fine collection of signs on a narrow bridge near Hokitika.

One would think it was obvious that roads may be slippery in frosty weather, but apparently not in NZ. Note also the inventiveness of the combined junction/curve sign.

Pedestrian crossings often have Belisha beacons, many flashing at night, but can have dayglo orange discs. This one in Motueka has both. Note also the parking/bicycle lane at left, and the marked area in the centre of the road for vehicles turning right into house driveways.

Some of the signs have rather spindly lettering. These from Queenstown.

Most towns have a combined sign for town name and speed limit.

The reverse of the sign has just a speed limit sign, but sometimes on green rather than grey.

NZ number plates are black on reflective white, using an unusual font.

Some of the "vanity plates" have a definite EU look to them.

And, finally, there are some high-class rental vehicles available.

If anyone would like full-size versions of any of the photos, send me a PM.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
a228_mb

Post by a228_mb »

Fascinating stuff! Surprised how many similar signs there are to British ones. That Nugget Point sign is confusing! And I don't like "no exit" meaning dead end, doesn't sound right.

Great pics tho :)
Martin

You know the name, you know the number. a228_mb
B 67

Post by B 67 »

I've not yet been to NZ, but I find their curious mix of US / Australian and European road signs interesting.

We have slippery when frosty signs in Australia too. Others say when icy. Yes, it should be pretty obvious, but there are too many stupid people on our roads these days. They need to be told everything. And even then they don't take notice. But at least they can't whinge that there should've been a sign to tell them the road might be slippery when one is already there.

The combination intersection / curve sign looks very much like one on my Australian road sign site.