Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Pre-Worboys preservation campaign

Post by Chris5156 »

Loose Cannon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 16:00 Standing in for a grate on the hole where you shovel coal out of (surely there is a technical term for that) was an unfamiliar cast vertical sign which said SCHOOL and a torch logo on top. I now understand that this is a "Torch of Learning" sign to warn approaching traffic. Thankyou interweb.
This is an amazing story! What an incredible find! And welcome to SABRE :D
It hasn't a scrap of paint left on it but at least I know now what colour to paint it!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63942060@N04/6352264508
I think whoever restored the one in that photo used a bit of artistic licence - as far as I’m aware it would have been surmounted by a red triangle, but the rectangular plate would only ever have had a white background and black symbol, border and text. The red flames would have just been black like the rest of the symbol.

Then again, it’s yours, so if you’d rather have a more brightly coloured version then go for it!
Burns

Post by Burns »

Loose Cannon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 16:00 After a frenzy of old-sign spotting in my new home of the Northumberland/Scottish borders, I've found one in my back garden.
What an incredible find! I often go on Preeb photographing trips and there's been four to the borders as the area is full of them. I'm sure you've found them all but if you'd like some locations, let me know.

I don't post my photos here but if you're a member of the fingerpost group on Facebook, you'll see them there.
Loose Cannon

Post by Loose Cannon »

Thanks all, I am rather excited by it. Red flames/black flames, oh the conundrum!

Yes there are loads around where I live, some beauties with reflective studs and all, and I fear for their future if their current condition is anything to go by. I'm handy with maps to find them with just a hint from a photograph or whatever, and also a bit of a geek on Google Streetview, so can see the decline in the condition of many, even just over the last couple of decades.

There will be a few cleaning expeditions for sure, and some propositions to the local parish councils about getting them repainted.

Cheers
mark
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Discovered this one just now in Surrey
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.15412 ... ?entry=ttu
Loose Cannon

Post by Loose Cannon »

Looks like few if anybody is paying attention to that - it points in different directions in the archived Streetview images! :)
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Nathan_A_RF wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:31 Discovered this one just now in Surrey
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.15412 ... ?entry=ttu
Great to see it's still there.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Is this anywhere in 122 pages of this thread? Took a wrong turn, passed the back of this while recovering to the route I’d intended to take, quick mirror check to make sure what I had passed.
IMG_1331.jpeg
Make poetry history.

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

That area is a goldmine. There are many similar but by memory that is a new sighting.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.