Forth Replacement Crossing

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

cb a1

Re: Forth Replacement Crossing

Post by cb a1 »

Gav wrote:I wonder if they have considered the Toll Forth Crossing...
If you can find any of the early designs from back when they were still considering whether to go East or West of the existing crossings or above or below [tunnel], there were options which had space for a toll plaza.

So, Yes it was considered.
Education makes the wise slightly wiser, but it makes the fool vastly more dangerous. N. Taleb
We tend to demand impossible standards of proof from our opponents but accept any old rubbish to support our beliefs.
The human paradox that is common sense
The Backfire Effect
Burns

Post by Burns »

They could also consider starting the Average Speed Camera controlled 40 limit north of the bridge where the roadworks actually are... just saying.
MattJackson

Post by MattJackson »

Burns wrote:They could also consider starting the Average Speed Camera controlled 40 limit north of the bridge where the roadworks actually are... just saying.
They already have :lol:
Matt
Burns

Post by Burns »

Brilliant. Last time I drove over, it was around midnight so having to do 40mph for no reason was horrible. I obviously don't object to the speed limit reduction where the actual roadworks are taking place.
MattJackson

Post by MattJackson »

It still covers the northbound carriageway on the bridge as a safety measure whilst drivers have a gander at the superstructure. Incidently, they have just switched them on today!

Southbound will get its own set shortly, although the priority was to get northbound under control. I'm glad they've extended them to the north as well, there's so much work going on at that end just now... So much so that it warrants me driving back from Ayrshire to Dundee via Edinburgh just to see it :lol:
Matt
Burns

Post by Burns »

Ugh. It's the speed cameras on the northbound carriageway I was referring to in the first place. Like I say, I have no objection to the average speed camera control north of the bridge where the actual roadworks are taking place but slowing everyone to 40mph over the bridge, especially at night with some lame justification to do with gawking at the bridge construction is ridiculous.
MattJackson

Post by MattJackson »

I'm not sure if the SPECS system has capacity for part-time workings, although it's probably in the road safety audit for the new bridge to keep traffic at a steady pace 24/7 until construction is complete. It would probably be too much hassle doing part-time if it was possible, especially with the fixed signs they have in place now instead of VMS.
Matt
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I notice Street View has the new A904 junction on it, which looks fairly complete, aside from the lack of the M90 running underneath it. ;) Also has a nice view of the bridge, as it was in June. The B981 underpass also looks to be in place.
MattJackson

Post by MattJackson »

orudge wrote:The B981 underpass also looks to be in place.
And here is an awesome timelapse of it being swung into place :D
Matt
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The OS seem to think it will be a motorway.

It would have been nice if it was...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Burns wrote:Ugh. It's the speed cameras on the northbound carriageway I was referring to in the first place. Like I say, I have no objection to the average speed camera control north of the bridge where the actual roadworks are taking place but slowing everyone to 40mph over the bridge, especially at night with some lame justification to do with gawking at the bridge construction is ridiculous.
The bridge was a permanent 50mph, so it's only a 10mph reduction.

Plus it gives me longer to gawk at the new bridge and roadworks... the downside to being a Roads Engineer :lol:

I thought the temporary safety barrier north of the bridge would have been good for a 50mph limit, but I can only imagine their is some flaw with the TM design which has led to a requirement for a camera enforced 40.
cb a1

Post by cb a1 »

Bryn666 wrote:The OS seem to think it will be a motorway.

It would have been nice if it was...
Are you referring to the B981 or the FRC? The FRC is a motorway.
Education makes the wise slightly wiser, but it makes the fool vastly more dangerous. N. Taleb
We tend to demand impossible standards of proof from our opponents but accept any old rubbish to support our beliefs.
The Backfire Effect
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I've just had a look - it's such a ridiculously short gap that isn't to be motorway then isn't it? Between the A90 and A904?

Can Scotland provide one motorway without some kind of quirk? ;-)
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
cb a1

Post by cb a1 »

Bryn666 wrote: Can Scotland provide one motorway without some kind of quirk? ;-)
Just doing our bit to provide a continuous source of debate here on Sabre ;)
The Backfire Effect
michael769

Post by michael769 »

novaecosse wrote:but I can only imagine their is some flaw with the TM design which has led to a requirement for a camera enforced 40.
More likely it's 40 "because". TS seem quite wedded to 40 limits in road works, they have been known to impose them on the M8 for verge works.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
ms90

Post by ms90 »

When the works were going on the south of the bridge (M9 Spur extension to A90) a few years ago the temporary limit was 30mph - now THAT seemed slow! (especially so when it was increased to three lanes.)

See old Google Streetview.

I share novaecosse's view that the new 40mph limit facilitates better viewing of the adjacent construction!
Burns

Post by Burns »

novaecosse wrote:
Burns wrote:Ugh. It's the speed cameras on the northbound carriageway I was referring to in the first place. Like I say, I have no objection to the average speed camera control north of the bridge where the actual roadworks are taking place but slowing everyone to 40mph over the bridge, especially at night with some lame justification to do with gawking at the bridge construction is ridiculous.
The bridge was a permanent 50mph, so it's only a 10mph reduction.
Most of my northbound Forth Road Bridge drives are after 10pm so I tend to drive at a trucker's 50mph... :wink:
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Full A90 closure scheduled for bridge demolition

3 weekends to demolish the B800 overbridge... must be taking it down by hand :laugh:

There's a major oil pipeline which runs behind the south abutment :wink:
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

novaecosse wrote:Full A90 closure scheduled for bridge demolition

3 weekends to demolish the B800 overbridge... must be taking it down by hand :laugh:

It's probably not comparable, but they took down a bridge on the M9 overnight, a few years ago.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Halmyre wrote:
novaecosse wrote:Full A90 closure scheduled for bridge demolition

It's probably not comparable, but they took down a bridge on the M9 overnight, a few years ago.
Different type of bridge*

*stock answer