Manky Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FurryBoots

Re: Manky Signs

Post by FurryBoots »

James1978 wrote:How do you post links to GSV exactly? I know of a really good one I see nearly everyday and I've just tried to post it and it doesn;t work?
Once you have the view that you want to post, follow the instructions in the attached picture (apologies for the messy MS Paint job).
Attachments
GSV.png
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

Yeah it is mad when Google imagery enables a before and after sequence of views!

This one in Huyton looks a little worse for wear.

The blue has faded well here
James1978

Post by James1978 »

FurryBoots wrote:
James1978 wrote:How do you post links to GSV exactly? I know of a really good one I see nearly everyday and I've just tried to post it and it doesn;t work?
Once you have the view that you want to post, follow the instructions in the attached picture (apologies for the messy MS Paint job).
Thanks, I was copying it in off the top of the screen! I'll try again tonight.
CrackersA361

Post by CrackersA361 »

There used to be some absolutely beautiful ones on the old A41 (now B4100) around the Warmington and Kineton area which had clearly been left and forgotten about, set well back and partially obscured by bushes as a result, but it seems that since then they've gone...
James

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans. A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!
Sam

Post by Sam »

There were several great examples on the A505 around Royston (indeed, the whole of that road feels nostalgic, with its wide central reservation and no barrier). Most of them have now gone, but the A505/A10 junction still had its examples last time I went past.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Sam wrote:There were several great examples on the A505 around Royston (indeed, the whole of that road feels nostalgic, with its wide central reservation and no barrier). Most of them have now gone, but the A505/A10 junction still had its examples last time I went past.
I think we've probably got no money to replace them... assume that if it had been cambs' responsibility they'd have been done a while ago!

http://g.co/maps/3xkr2 - is not too bad... just old
http://g.co/maps/k6qek - this one is the classic.. Interesting that the A is less faded than the 10... nice bit of patching, and a missing arm..
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Sam

Post by Sam »

Those are indeed the ones I'm thinking of. I'm in no hurry to see them replaced; very nostalgic. I presume they date from when the M11 was extended from J9 up to J14?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Sam wrote:Those are indeed the ones I'm thinking of. I'm in no hurry to see them replaced; very nostalgic. I presume they date from when the M11 was extended from J9 up to J14?
I think the Royston bypass opened in about 82, so the signs would date from then, as the M11 opened in 80 up to Cambridge...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

This surely has to be one of the mankiest signs around (the road is actually the A491).
kc1

Post by kc1 »

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

What exactly is that supposed to say? Round signs would normally be in pairs but there isn't one on the opposite side of the road.

As for manky, take a look at those houses behind :x
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's a no waiting roundel.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Iain

Post by Iain »

Wow, never realised there were so many when I started this topic, some of these make mine look pristine in comparison. It's a bit early but I might be persuaded to put together a manky signs calendar for next year - all proceeds to SABRE coffers of course.

Does anyone know if we use streetview images for this or are there copyright issues?

If the latter I'm sure we can get 12 good pics between us... :msnphoto:
A brimful of asha on the M45.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Iain wrote:Wow, never realised there were so many when I started this topic, some of these make mine look pristine in comparison. It's a bit early but I might be persuaded to put together a manky signs calendar for next year - all proceeds to SABRE coffers of course.

Does anyone know if we use streetview images for this or are there copyright issues?

If the latter I'm sure we can get 12 good pics between us... :msnphoto:
Or 12 photo-of-the-month winners ?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

This one is pretty old. Probably late 60's/early 70's. There used to be loads of ancient signs in rural parts of N Ireland but most seem to have been replaced in the last few years. This one from 1969 is still standing though.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

There's quite a few of these rather old looking local route confirmation signs around the Blackfen area, all mounted on similar looking square posts. Apart from being discoloured, they're not anywhere near as bad as everything else in this thread, but if they dissapeared, I doubt they would ever be replaced.

B2210

A210

A222
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Iain wrote:Does anyone know if we use streetview images for this or are there copyright issues?
I can't see Google being very pleased if you use their StreetView images.
michael769

Post by michael769 »

How about this forgotten gem?

This beauty is older than me as the "coach park" never existed in my 42 years of life.

This was once a bus stop I am told though it ceased to be a bus route before I was born!

Compliant but manky
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

michael769 wrote:This beauty is older than me as the "coach park" never existed in my 42 years of life.
That's a Pre-Warboys sign - there's a separate thread for these.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Rob_A1010

Post by Rob_A1010 »

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=waltha ... 85,,2,2.12

This one's a bit unusual as it's not a manky sign per-se, but a modern sign that *replaced* a manky sign. It's approaching the A1010/A1055 junction from the north, so just to the south of the east end of Holmesdale Tunnel.

The last "5" of "A1055" on the old sign had all but worn off, which I used to like because the road used to be the A105 many years back. When the signs were installed (around 2008 I think), they copied what was there - presumably not noticing the worn off digit - resulting in a mis-signing!

I believe one of the other 3 approaches has a similar mistake, but can't quite recall.

I lived very near here until summer 2010, and remember the new signs going up and being flabbergasted at the mistake!

Rob
The English Motorway System is beautiful and strange
Black Box Recorder