New Lower Thames Crossing

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AnOrdinarySABREUser

Re: New Lower Thames Crossing

Post by AnOrdinarySABREUser »

Peter Freeman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:25 It seems that Americans haven't. Contrary to popular opinion, or your wishful thinking, the US quite likes most of its roads, and still builds (well-designed) new ones (urban, rural, and some at a large-scale) - where needed.
Based on the feedback I’ve received from this forum… it’s definitely an unpopular opinion to prioritise the environment. Wishful thinking, even. :roll:

I don’t mind building roads where they need to be built, but I don’t understand why endlessly providing extra capacity to the same corridor (i.e. more lanes) will provide anything different than what we’ve seen so far. Just a short amount of time later and it’s congested again. Can’t we have a different approach?
AOSU
Mapping roads and schemes on OpenStreetMap!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

AnOrdinarySABREUser wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:39
Based on the feedback I’ve received from this forum… it’s definitely an unpopular opinion to prioritise the environment. Wishful thinking, even. :roll:

I don’t mind building roads where they need to be built, but I don’t understand why endlessly providing extra capacity to the same corridor (i.e. more lanes) will provide anything different than what we’ve seen so far. Just a short amount of time later and it’s congested again. Can’t we have a different approach?
Its really quite simple - there are more vehicles on the road and the average number of miles they do per year has risen.
No of vehicles of all types that were registered for private use on UK roads

1951 - 2.433 million
1964 - 8.436 million
1970 - 13.5 million
2001 - 23.9 million
2021 - 27.3 million

Outside of major cities and large towns there is often little choice. Before retiring I lived in Gamlingay and worked in Cambridge and public transport was not an option - see what google maps shows.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gamling ... &entry=ttu

Here is another option Stokesley North Yorkshire to Middlesbrough.
Distance - 12.4 miles
58 minutes by bus
22 minutes by car

Of course until 1965 you could catch a train but the line was closed in 1965 , here is the old railway station site.
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4673685 ... &entry=ttu

This was not an accident, British Rail was losing money hand over fist and the government brought in Doctor Beeching to wield the axe on loss making lines. Take a look at this site to see for yourself.
https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php
Cryoraptor

Post by Cryoraptor »

The M2 needs to be widened at a later date to make room for new developments but I don't see it being widened this decade. Besides, adding more capacity to the M2 will only incentivise more people to travel by car, and not to mention that it'd be filled up by people living in new developments along the M2 corridor, so the cycle repeats again. This is not sustainable growth and improvement.
By that logic, LTC should not be built due to the extra traffic flow it'd cause and require subsequent upgrades.

The supply/demand problem is something that is encountered later on in development when the route provided is not adequate for all the movements being made, e.g. the southern corridor of the M25, at which point alternate routes and modes of transport are needed instead of the existing road being upgraded. The M2 is not at that point.
If lorries overtaking are a huge issue, then a weight limit could be imposed to prevent traffic from slowing down too much.
So what is your plan now that the A229 and M20 must take all of that traffic? What if the M20 is closed? You want all that heavy goods traffic forced on the A20?

Forcing traffic onto a single route is a terrible idea and is the kind of thinking that leads us to the problems we now have south of London. The M20 copes surprisingly well for its traffic numbers, likely thanks to being built to D3M standard throughout and no corners being cut, but forcing all of the M2's HGV traffic onto it will turn it into the M25 II and it won't cope at peak times.

If a road is regularly seeing slowdowns out of peak times due to excessive slow traffic not having enough lanes, then the road is over capacity and needs to be widened.
I agree that the M2 is inadequate for modern purposes, but the M20 copes just fine, especially after J6 and J7, where all the M2/M20 movements are located. However, I do not see how Ringways V2 is needed to solve traffic problems on the M25. I doubt such a project would get off the ground in the first place - it'd have to pass through several National Parks/Landscapes, which the M25 already encroaches upon. I don't see there being much appetite for this one.
It's needed because the link from east to west isn't sufficient. All traffic from Kent and most of East Sussex is directed up to London and on the M25(S) instead of westwards. This is overall an area with a population of ~2 million, so think about how much excessive traffic this part of the M25 is taking on due to the lack of a parallel route. The most ridiculous examples are probably journeys from the Kent coast to the Hampshire conurbation, there is no reason why this kind of direction should be directed up the M20 and M25(S) and then down the A3/M3.

It's either that or massively improve the railways in the area so such journeys are feasible by rail. It's arguably even more ridiculous that those living in this area going west should have to go all the way up to London and make their way through busy terminals and the underground before going west or northwest. Would it be so hard for a four-car, bihourly CrossCountry route to come down through the Redhill link to Ashford (bearing in mind this would require Redhill station to be rebuilt)?
Which is why I mentioned that more freeflow movements could be added to M2 J3 and M20 J6. KCC are proposing to widen the A229(S) to 3 lanes but are only adding at-grade connections to ease traffic, which is not desirable.
As KCC is completely strapped for cash and a few inches from declaring bankruptcy, I would be surprised if any improvements are made at all. This is something that really should be the responsibility of HE as this involves the motorway network.
If the rail network is in a worse state than the road network then why aren't we taking the time and money to improve it? I know the answer, of course, and that's due to political reasons with a dash of car-dependent development thrown in the mix. I don't think anyone reasonable truly desires to see London and the South East turned into a British replica of Houston, so I can't understand why people want these destructive road schemes to happen. It's not as if the South East is deprived of road infrastructure either - this is one of the densest parts of the motorway network.
You quite literally have answered your own question here.

As others have mentioned, the SE has nowhere near the level of road density as similar conurbations. People in the area such as yourself seem to want their cake and eat it too - You want a developed, suburban area, but also an undisturbed countryside. Unfortunately you can't have both, you'll either have to agree to the network being substantially improved or politely ask half of the population of this area to leave and find somewhere else to live so that the existing network will be sufficient without destroying more countryside.

While there are parts of the north that are in dire need of serious improvements, especially when it comes to rail, the Merseyside-south Lancashire-Manchester-West Yorkshire conurbation has at least gotten the road network right, with two major north-south motorways, functional ring roads, numerous small high quality A-road and motorway links and a high quality east-west motorway. I don't have the numbers but for the population and area, I suspect the density of the network in this conurbation is significantly higher than the SE and more similar to others in the developed world.
Would love to see a south coast expressway from Dover to Exeter.
Remember the Folkestone to Honiton plans!!!!
When it is quicker to go from Southampton to Dover via M25, something is wrong.
Totally agree. If it was up to me and I had infinite resources, I'd have the M27 run from Bournemouth to the M20, or at least until Brighton, with the rest of the route from Bournemouth to Honiton and if the motorway stops at Brighton, the rest of the way to the M20 as high-quality dual carriageway A27. (Sorry A31 and A35, consistently numbered routes and all that). As I'd use the existing A35 alignment to Honiton instead of going all the way to Exeter, the A30 from Honiton could do with an upgrade to D3 or D3M M30 to deal with the much-increased traffic load.
M2 <--> A299 was the dominant flow when the junction was designed in the early 1960s. Today the A299 is still considerably busier than the A2. On that basis the cretin you refer to got it right because the main course of traffic does not pass through the roundabout.
Oh, my bad, I would've thought M2 <--> A2 was the dominant flow outside of holiday time. Even so, the junction is a bit poor for today's standards, it could do with a free-flow to the A2 and both movements widened to two lanes.
OMG- sorry Cryoraptor, I noticed you were talking about J7, not J1… I can’t believe that slipped my mind. Yes, I completely agree with you on that.
No worries, accidents happen both on and off the road :lol:
Last edited by Cryoraptor on Thu Apr 04, 2024 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
M40 > M1

A303/A30 > M4-M5
jackal

Post by jackal »

AnOrdinarySABREUser wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:39 I don’t mind building roads where they need to be built, but I don’t understand why endlessly providing extra capacity to the same corridor (i.e. more lanes) will provide anything different than what we’ve seen so far. Just a short amount of time later and it’s congested again.
This is actually quite a rare scenario. The vast majority of the time strategic road improvements provide long term reductions in journey time and increases in safety.

Do you really think average journey times on, say, the M1, M4, M5, M6, even M25, are remotely comparable to pre-motorway conditions? That the dualled and grade separated A12, A13, A14 or A34 offer no advantage? Or that physically separating conflicting flows of traffic has no safety benefit?

Furthermore, it must be noted that with stalled traffic growth over the last decade, even one lane widenings are typically less congested than the status quo ante. It is largely a complaint from a bygone era of economic growth.

But suppose we have an unusual case where what you say is true. Usually this is because the upgrade was inadequate, so the solution wouldn't be less upgrade, but more (e.g., instead of one lane widening, two lane widening or a bypass). The LTC is a rare case of this actually happening! (Or at least getting well into development.)

Moreover, even a limited one-lane upgrade that becomes congested delivers real benefits. If additional drivers are using a motorway - which is the implication of saying a widened motorway is congested - that means the upgrade is supporting additional economic activity and quality of life improvements (e.g., from traffic diverting from less suitable local roads).
Can’t we have a different approach?
If you can name a viable alternative, go ahead. But be aware that no developed country has found such a thing. The UK is at the extreme end of underinvestment in strategic roads among its peers, with dire productivity to match.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The problem is if you see traffic growth as infinite, rather than finite. The Dutch have seen it as the latter, so have spent billions redeveloping their entire transport system so you actually have choices in how to travel and that they shouldn't need to construct endless mileage of new roads once the current programme ends.

This seems to be beyond the wit and comprehension of British planners (and it seems a lot of drivers themselves), who can only think in very narrow banded binaries of "dis gud, dat bad", and therefore not work out that not everyone wants to (or can) drive everywhere so a transport policy that merely favours the wealthier who can afford to drive everywhere is quite socially exclusionary and causes endless issues. We are still building endless surburban estates which you have to own a car to be able to get anywhere from, places that plunge you into massive amounts of debt just to get a roof over your head - because apparently to planners being able to park your car is more important than anything else.

It is in everyone's interest (including those who need to drive) to reduce the number of motor vehicles on the road, not endlessly encourage more of them. We should not be building sprawling suburbs, we should not be building pathetic roundabout infested "development routes" that do nothing but create traffic jams leading into and out of the aforesaid suburbs. Access control is a critical component of safe highway design - once again see the Dutch roads heirarchy.

How this relates to the LTC: whilst it will indeed remove a lot of stress from Dartford, the fact remains it slams into saturated roads either end, so what does it actually achieve other than spread jam across the toast a little more evenly rather than in one critical position in the middle? Will it just mean that more of the A2 is surrounded by detached houses and wiggly culs-de-sac because of the new capacity? Highly likely.

If you're building a road to relieve congestion, then you need to prohibit developers from building next to it and enticing non-strategic journeys on to it. We haven't learned this despite the Ribbon Development Act being 90 years old.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Cryoraptor

Post by Cryoraptor »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 15:08 The problem is if you see traffic growth as infinite, rather than finite. The Dutch have seen it as the latter, so have spent billions redeveloping their entire transport system so you actually have choices in how to travel and that they shouldn't need to construct endless mileage of new roads once the current programme ends.

This seems to be beyond the wit and comprehension of British planners (and it seems a lot of drivers themselves), who can only think in very narrow banded binaries of "dis gud, dat bad", and therefore not work out that not everyone wants to (or can) drive everywhere so a transport policy that merely favours the wealthier who can afford to drive everywhere is quite socially exclusionary and causes endless issues. We are still building endless surburban estates which you have to own a car to be able to get anywhere from, places that plunge you into massive amounts of debt just to get a roof over your head - because apparently to planners being able to park your car is more important than anything else.

It is in everyone's interest (including those who need to drive) to reduce the number of motor vehicles on the road, not endlessly encourage more of them. We should not be building sprawling suburbs, we should not be building pathetic roundabout infested "development routes" that do nothing but create traffic jams leading into and out of the aforesaid suburbs. Access control is a critical component of safe highway design - once again see the Dutch roads heirarchy.

How this relates to the LTC: whilst it will indeed remove a lot of stress from Dartford, the fact remains it slams into saturated roads either end, so what does it actually achieve other than spread jam across the toast a little more evenly rather than in one critical position in the middle? Will it just mean that more of the A2 is surrounded by detached houses and wiggly culs-de-sac because of the new capacity? Highly likely.

If you're building a road to relieve congestion, then you need to prohibit developers from building next to it and enticing non-strategic journeys on to it. We haven't learned this despite the Ribbon Development Act being 90 years old.
For all the reasons stated, this is why I would rather build LTC as a railway line linking the networks of East Anglia and the South East. The fact that if you're south of London, you have to go into central London to get to East Anglia in the 21st century is ridiculous.

East-West links in the SE are sorely lacking and should have been addressed decades ago, by both rail and road.
M40 > M1

A303/A30 > M4-M5
Cryoraptor

Post by Cryoraptor »

Can’t we have a different approach?
Of course we can. We can try either what I'm suggesting, which is building much-needed parallel routes for roads that are carrying far more traffic than they need to or massively improving our railway network and bringing it out of the 19th century, or we can try and politely ask half of the SE's population to leave.

We are now largely past the era of road widening anyhow, most roads that could be helped by widening works have already received it. We are now in the age where new connections are required to relieve routes that are being overused, ancient single carriageway routes need to be dualled and we need to be encouraging less private vehicles to use the road by reengineering our rail network into something more modern, and charging fares that better reflect the actual quality of service. The M2 is a strange hangover from a bygone age that has largely missed out on improvements past Medway and is one of the last motorways that will be genuinely relieved by widening and a modernisation of J7.
M40 > M1

A303/A30 > M4-M5
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

Cryoraptor wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 15:52For all the reasons stated, this is why I would rather build LTC as a railway line linking the networks of East Anglia and the South East. The fact that if you're south of London, you have to go into central London to get to East Anglia in the 21st century is ridiculous.

East-West links in the SE are sorely lacking and should have been addressed decades ago, by both rail and road.
Is there really that much pent-up demand for travel from South of London to East Anglia? I'm not convinced there is enough for building railways or roads for that transport axis around London. I'm in Kent; if I want to travel to East Anglia by rail then I get onto HS1 and change at Stratford onto the Anglia lines - this seems more than adequate.

The LTC is being designed for traffic from Dover to the North. In railway terms that is being met by HS1 (built in 2000s) and HS2 (under construction) and all it needs is a physical link between the two in North London. HS1 has freight capacity.

There are already East-West railway lines - Ashford to Tonbridge, Tonbridge to Redhill, and Redhill to Reading - all intersecting with radial routes that link outwards.

The big trouble with railways is psychological not physical. They don't go EXACTLY where people want to go - door to door - plus people don't like travelling in close quarters with strangers especially since Covid. I know my railway mileage is tiny fraction of what it was before the pandemic through apprehension. How do we get over those?
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
Bessie

Post by Bessie »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 15:08 The problem is if you see traffic growth as infinite, rather than finite. The Dutch have seen it as the latter, so have spent billions redeveloping their entire transport system so you actually have choices in how to travel and that they shouldn't need to construct endless mileage of new roads once the current programme ends.

I’d settle for a motorway network equivalent to what they have built in the Netherlands - see link below. (Granted they have good rail and cycle provision too.) As we have discussed previously, the Dutch have quite high modal share for cars, and low car occupancy. Cycling seems to displace mainly car passengers, not drivers. Surely the lesson from the Netherlands is that even very good alternatives don’t do much to reduce car traffic (outside inner urban areas).

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/produ ... 20200528-1
higgie

Post by higgie »

We should be revisiting transport on thos country immediately.
HSUK have a coordinated plan of High Speed trains.
Revisit some of the ringways, such as the Stirling Corner Link, Kidbrooke junction to ease congestion in SE London and to offer another cross Thames link.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

higgie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 20:20 We should be revisiting transport on thos country immediately.
Revisit some of the ringways, such as the Stirling Corner Link, Kidbrooke junction to ease congestion in SE London and to offer another cross Thames link.
High Speed trains are very expensive to build as you need to have new direct lines with no level crossings, minimal stations and inevitably have to buy lots of land. Now with the ECML we got lucky, its relatively flat and level following pretty much follows the 19th century routing. All you have to do is look at what HS2 is predicted to cost to see what doing it todays price and population density means.

HS2 London to Birmingham is expected to cost around £65 billion or approx £400 million per mile, the project has had to be scaled back as it was unaffordable.

As for the Ringways I suggest you look at why the scheme was canned. Think across the board opposition and sky high costs. We now have the situation where those parts that were built such as the Westway are showing signs of end of life issues
https://www.roads.org.uk/ringways
https://www.highwaysmagazine.co.uk/TfL- ... risis/9413

Its not a matter of either/or. In the South East we have half the population of England crammed into one corner while Yorkshire is practically empty.
Nebula

Post by Nebula »

Contrary to the above statement, the Dutch have been very busy lately expanding existing and building new motorways lately, so perhaps they are onto something.

As stated previously, a well developed road network increases prosperity and productivity, reduces congestion and pollution, unlocks economic opportunities and most importantly gives the freedom to go wherever and whenever needed, without relying on others (such as train and bus drivers who seem to be striking more often than not).

As a roads engineer, I do seem to notice a consistent pattern of an anti roads agenda pushed by various loud minority activists. I do wonder what's actually driving them.
higgie

Post by higgie »

KeithW wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 21:05
higgie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 20:20 We should be revisiting transport on thos country immediately.
High Speed trains are very expensive to build as you need to have new direct lines with no level crossings, minimal stations and inevitably have to buy lots of land. Now with the ECML we got lucky, its relatively flat and level following pretty much follows the 19th century routing. All you have to do is look at what HS2 is predicted to cost to see what doing it todays price and population density means.

HS2 London to Birmingham is expected to cost around £65 billion or approx £400 million per mile, the project has had to be scaled back as it was unaffordable.

As for the Ringways I suggest you look at why the scheme was canned. Think across the board opposition and sky high costs. We now have the situation where those parts that were built such as the Westway are showing signs of end of life issues
https://www.roads.org.uk/ringways
https://www.highwaysmagazine.co.uk/TfL- ... risis/9413

Its not a matter of either/or. In the South East we have half the population of England crammed into one corner while Yorkshire is practically empty.
http://www.highspeeduk.co.uk/

Have you seen this fully costed plan for a full HS network
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Nebula wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 21:16
Contrary to the above statement, the Dutch have been very busy lately expanding existing and building new motorways lately, so perhaps they are onto something.

As stated previously, a well developed road network increases prosperity and productivity, reduces congestion and pollution, unlocks economic opportunities and most importantly gives the freedom to go wherever and whenever needed, without relying on others (such as train and bus drivers who seem to be striking more often than not).

As a roads engineer, I do seem to notice a consistent pattern of an anti roads agenda pushed by various loud minority activists. I do wonder what's actually driving them.
They have passed an act that is to bring motorways up to a desired standard as part of their roads hierarchy plan. Nothing I said is inaccurate, the Dutch policy is once these motorways are widened and new links in place they won't need to be building more.

It is not freedom if the network is saturated thanks to induced demand - as a roads engineer you of course know this. "One more lane" has never worked anywhere - the queues at the M6/M61 junction are now no better than they were in 1992 before the widening works started. Where do you draw the line? You have a simple choice - constantly try and play catch up until you run out of space available or restrict demand by providing alternatives and/or punitive measures to discourage unwanted behaviour.
Bryn

KeithW

Post by KeithW »

higgie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 21:24 http://www.highspeeduk.co.uk/

No for the simple reason it returns this
HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.

I did find an arch

Try this instead
https://www.hs2.org.uk/

or this which was the original plan.
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... wo-limited

Unfortunately the cost was such that phases 2a and 2b were paused although it is said that they would reconsidered. The bottom line is that all that has been actually started is London to Crewe, there is no realistic plan for the originally planned phases 2a to Manchester and 2b to Leeds, they have effectively been dropped - nothing to see here please - move along.
Last edited by KeithW on Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Herned

Post by Herned »

Fully costed? They didn't spend any money on web design so I'm doubtful they have done any geological surveys for their route
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

Peter Freeman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:16 Below 60mph? That's bloody shameful! That's a whole 10mph below the speed limit!
It'll be nearer 56mph (on the limiter) which means 14mph or 20% below the limit!

Frankly, unless restrictions are placed on trucks overtaking, elephant racing defeats the point of it having two lanes...
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:45
Peter Freeman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:16 Below 60mph? That's bloody shameful! That's a whole 10mph below the speed limit!
It'll be nearer 56mph (on the limiter) which means 14mph or 20% below the limit!

Frankly, unless restrictions are placed on trucks overtaking, elephant racing defeats the point of it having two lanes...
I've never understood why we don't have the European standard "no overtaking by vehicles over 3.5t" sign. As ever, we had to make it difficult by doing weight limits on lane 2, which requires daft signage and lots of clutter to do something the rest of the world is able to do with little hassle.

The real reason our road network is a disaster is this rigid silo mentality that innovation extends only as far as coloured cones and signs telling you to Tweet your experience to National Highways.
Bryn

higgie

Post by higgie »

Herned wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:30

Fully costed? They didn't spend any money on web design so I'm doubtful they have done any geological surveys for their route
Try this

http://www.highspeeduk.co.uk/
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Nebula wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 21:16

... snip ...
When the Dutch built the Afsluitdijk, their business model was that the current generation would pay the capital cost of the the project, the second generation would pay the interest and the third generation would reap the benefit. The project woudl also provide work for the current generation. In many other ways they have a number of very pragmatic concepts - One of the problems associated with introducing the euro was getting coins into circulation. The scheme adopted in most countries was that one could buy DM 20, 50 FFr 10,000 L etc worth of coins at the banks. The Dutch took a different approach - they GAVE a packet of coins (probably 20 fl to 30 fl) worth to every household. They took the attitude that this approach would reduce the workload on the banks and would reduce the disruption caused by the change-over and that everyone would eventually pay the money back via taxes anyway.