Another bridge strike

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteelCamel

Re: Another bridge strike

Post by SteelCamel »

B1040 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 15:30 But that's in the middle of a pedestrianised area!
No vehicle should be there (not even my bike between 10 and 4 unless I'm pushing it.)
Further fact checking shows this to be a 2013 event!
It appears to be perfectly legal for lorries loading in the pedestrianised area to enter via Fitzroy Street at any time. Presumably they're supposed to leave via the same route, as there are bollards on the other roads. Burleigh St is clearly not designed for vehicles, but I can't see any sign prohibiting lorries which have legally entered Fitzroy St to load continuing onto Burleigh St.
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

Scouring the news today and a bridge strike happened in Willsbridge, Bristol today.

Info on Bristol Post.
Fantasy Strip Map Creator- feel free to send me some requests!

As a wise roadie said, don't make any mistakes in building roads.
owen b

Post by owen b »

Double decker bus in Luton this morning : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-64151206
Owen
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

owen b wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 17:10 Double decker bus in Luton this morning : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-64151206
Did the driver turn a blind eye to the height limit?
Fantasy Strip Map Creator- feel free to send me some requests!

As a wise roadie said, don't make any mistakes in building roads.
owen b

Post by owen b »

JackieRoads wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 19:48
owen b wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 17:10 Double decker bus in Luton this morning : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-64151206
Did the driver turn a blind eye to the height limit?
I know nothing more than is in the BBC report.
Owen
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

It happened here. The signage shows a 4 metre/13 ft height limit, but if you look on the other side, the height limit signs are accompanied by "no entry" (apart from buses) on the two roads leading off on either side.
owen b

Post by owen b »

Vierwielen wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 21:09 It happened here. The signage shows a 4 metre/13 ft height limit, but if you look on the other side, the height limit signs are accompanied by "no entry" (apart from buses) on the two roads leading off on either side.
Yes. Although I don't know the specifics of the incident, I do know that railway bridge very well. On one side is a lights controlled crossroads on the Luton inner ring road, on the other side is a lights controlled crossroads with the busway which runs between the two main railway stations, and the under bridge is a main route to The Mall car park. It's a busy part of town and the railway under bridge is a bottleneck, although the completion of the inner ring road a few years ago has made other routes more attractive for some traffic.
Owen
baroudeur

Post by baroudeur »

owen b wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 21:45
Vierwielen wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 21:09 It happened here. The signage shows a 4 metre/13 ft height limit, but if you look on the other side, the height limit signs are accompanied by "no entry" (apart from buses) on the two roads leading off on either side.
Yes. Although I don't know the specifics of the incident, I do know that railway bridge very well. On one side is a lights controlled crossroads on the Luton inner ring road, on the other side is a lights controlled crossroads with the busway which runs between the two main railway stations, and the under bridge is a main route to The Mall car park. It's a busy part of town and the railway under bridge is a bottleneck, although the completion of the inner ring road a few years ago has made other routes more attractive for some traffic.
I know that bridge extremely well being a Lutonian and having worked for the BE's Highways Dept back in the day. It was hit on a regular basis.

There is now only one railway station in Luton :confused: Although I can remember the long demolished second station :thumbsup: The No Entry sign is at the entry to the busway opposite Station Road and the height restriction relates to a bridge further down the busway. Station Road busway traffic can also turn left or right onto Hitchin Road which was (still is?) the A505.

Interestingly, the bus in the picture appears to have no damage to the front edge of the roof
owen b

Post by owen b »

baroudeur wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 17:27
There is now only one railway station in Luton :confused: Although I can remember the long demolished second station :thumbsup:
I was referring to the town centre station and the parkway (for the airport) station. I wasn't around in the days of what I presume was another town centre station on the Dunstable branch line.

Hitchin Road is no longer the A505. The A505 takes a circuitous route around Vauxhall Way and Kimpton Road and eventually around the south / west side of the inner ring.
Owen
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

baroudeur wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 17:27 Interestingly, the bus in the picture appears to have no damage to the front edge of the roof
It looks to me like the bus has actually cleared the bridge, but has been trapped when the rising ground has lifted the middle of the roof high enough to contact the bridge protection beam. Perhaps ironically, if the protection beam wasn't there I think the bus would actually have got through without making contact at all. The deck is certainly much higher than the signed 13ft limit.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

That is no protection beam, it looks to be carrying the railway track, in any case the max height signed is only 13ft and a double decker is typically over 14ft high.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

KeithW wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 19:45 That is no protection beam, it looks to be carrying the railway track, in any case the max height signed is only 13ft and a double decker is typically over 14ft high.
I'm fairly sure it is. Have a look at this view - if Google Maps co-operates you should be looking at the bridge from underneath, near where the bus is stuck. The grey beam on the left is what's trapped the bus. The steelwork just to the right is is the first bridge deck carrying the railway, and there's a clear gap between them. You can also see that the brickwork that the grey beam is supported by doesn't match the rest of the bridge abutment - the bridge abutments step out a few courses from the bottom, while the part under the beam doesn't. It certainly looks to me like the grey beam, and the brickwork under it, are a later addition. The same applies at the other side where there's an identical beam. Neither appears to be carrying anything, other than the height restriction sign and lamp.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

SteelCamel wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 21:15
I'm fairly sure it is. Have a look at this view - if Google Maps co-operates you should be looking at the bridge from underneath, near where the bus is stuck. The grey beam on the left is what's trapped the bus. The steelwork just to the right is is the first bridge deck carrying the railway, and there's a clear gap between them. You can also see that the brickwork that the grey beam is supported by doesn't match the rest of the bridge abutment - the bridge abutments step out a few courses from the bottom, while the part under the beam doesn't. It certainly looks to me like the grey beam, and the brickwork under it, are a later addition. The same applies at the other side where there's an identical beam. Neither appears to be carrying anything, other than the height restriction sign and lamp.
Take a look at this GSV
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.88193 ... 312!8i6656

There is a train running just above that beam.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

KeithW wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 19:48
Take a look at this GSV

No there isn't. The train is behind the riveted steel parapet. If you look at my streetview link, you'll see that there's a clear gap between that and the grey beam. Also, look at the brickwork - the bridge parapet ends in a wall with a flattish top right by the locomotive door. There's clearly a second wall with a steeply sloping top in front of it. Then look at the underneath view and see where those walls are in relation to the bridge.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

SteelCamel wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 21:00
KeithW wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 19:48
Take a look at this GSV

No there isn't. The train is behind the riveted steel parapet. If you look at my streetview link, you'll see that there's a clear gap between that and the grey beam. Also, look at the brickwork - the bridge parapet ends in a wall with a flattish top right by the locomotive door. There's clearly a second wall with a steeply sloping top in front of it. Then look at the underneath view and see where those walls are in relation to the bridge.
Agreed, the grey beam is a protection beam that carries no load. The tracks are behind the red-painted parapet which is a separate part of the structure.
baroudeur

Post by baroudeur »

owen b wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 17:31
baroudeur wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 17:27
There is now only one railway station in Luton :confused: Although I can remember the long demolished second station :thumbsup:
I was referring to the town centre station and the parkway (for the airport) station. I wasn't around in the days of what I presume was another town centre station on the Dunstable branch line.

Hitchin Road is no longer the A505. The A505 takes a circuitous route around Vauxhall Way and Kimpton Road and eventually around the south / west side of the inner ring.
Apologies, I blame old age! I automatically visualised it as the Luton mainline and Luton Bute Street stations - old memories die hard and Luton Parkway doesn't register - yet!
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Hasn't Luton actually got 3 stations with the main one, the Parkway and Leagrave in the Northern suburbs?
owen b

Post by owen b »

trickstat wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 17:52 Hasn't Luton actually got 3 stations with the main one, the Parkway and Leagrave in the Northern suburbs?
Yes. That's why in my original post I referred to "the two main railway stations". I wouldn't call Leagrave a main station.
Owen
The Deuce

Post by The Deuce »

It appears the protection beam (tube?) added in 2014/15 has done its job and saved the bridge from an impact in an incident today on the A5006 Stoke Road, Stoke on Trent
Police have blocked off a busy road after a lorry has crashed into part of a railway bridge. A photograph from the scene - on Stoke Road, in Shelton - shows the stricken wagon stuck by the bridge.

It has become a common sight in the Potteries over the years with trucks colliding with bridges in the city - including the one on Stoke Road as well as those in Longton and Abbey Hulton.

Today's collision has seen the lorry smash into a large steel pipe which runs in front of the bridge itself. An image from the scene shows police have blocked off the route from the Stoke side by the A500.
https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st ... ry-8063346
vlad

Post by vlad »

The Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 21:20 It appears the protection beam (tube?) added in 2014/15 has done its job and saved the bridge from an impact in an incident today on the A5006 Stoke Road, Stoke on Trent
Given the bridge (here) is practically fluorescent I've no idea why it's hit so often, apart from the fact that it may be lower than people expect. I can't help feeling that paying people to stop every driver to tell them the bridge height wouldn't improve things....
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath