Another bridge strike

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: Another bridge strike

Post by Big L »

Vierwielen wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 17:47 How many Continental drivers could cope with this sign, especially if they were driving a vehicle that was registered abroad. Under the Vienna Convnetion, we cannot prohibit vehicles under 4 metres from using our roads on grounds of height. UK legislation requries foreign vehicles that are more than 4 metres in height to have a height display (rather than 3 metres as for domestic vehicles).
Looks like the height restriction on the left turn is a distance away, and avoidable.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

Vierwielen wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 17:35 Between 1 January 2024 and 31 December 20205 the height displayed in the driver's cab for vehicles over 3 metres must be converted to units.
No rush to convert then! :D
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Octaviadriver wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 20:25
Vierwielen wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 17:35 Between 1 January 2024 and 31 December 20205 the height displayed in the driver's cab for vehicles over 3 metres must be converted to units.
No rush to convert then! :D
The approach that I was taking is firstly to ensure that all aigns are dual units and once that has been done, get drivers to convert to metres, using the MoT test as a means of checking.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Big L wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 18:27
Vierwielen wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 17:47 How many Continental drivers could cope with this sign, especially if they were driving a vehicle that was registered abroad. Under the Vienna Convnetion, we cannot prohibit vehicles under 4 metres from using our roads on grounds of height. UK legislation requries foreign vehicles that are more than 4 metres in height to have a height display (rather than 3 metres as for domestic vehicles).
Looks like the height restriction on the left turn is a distance away, and avoidable.
Yes, you can avoid the low bridges entirely by turning left and left again, back onto the A287 north, which isn't at all clear from the sign. Also there really should be some warning at the A287 TOTSO - if you can pass the 14ft bridge you want to go straight on, not turn right down the hill then left to rejoin the road you just left.

But the main issue is that the sign is badly positioned - while you can clearly see that there are low bridges in all three directions, it's difficult to read the figures and realise the two of the bridges are a good bit lower than the other one, especially with traffic passing.
bothar

Post by bothar »

Another incident in Cork, it seems to be here

"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
The Deuce

Post by The Deuce »

This bridge strike yesterday in Cardiff appears to have been a bus on tow and would normally be ok for double deckers at 14' 9" / 4.5m

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... s-27110053
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

From the photo it looks as if the tow truck is using an underlift.
ikcdab

Post by ikcdab »

Although it's not the UK, the following YouTube channel is very entertaining and can hoover up hours of time
https://youtube.com/@11foot8plus8
B1040

Post by B1040 »

RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

ikcdab wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 23:22 Although it's not the UK, the following YouTube channel is very entertaining and can hoover up hours of time
https://youtube.com/@11foot8plus8
I follow this, & get a message if there is an accident at the bridge.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Berk

Post by Berk »

Just seen this cracker in Sydney. That’s got to be the lowest yet (2m). :shock:

So low, even the Google car didn’t want to go under it.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

Berk wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 04:36 Just seen this cracker in Sydney. That’s got to be the lowest yet (2m). :shock:

Probably the lowest I've seen is this tiny little one along the Alabama & Tennessee River Railway's section of the former L&N Mineral Loop between Glencoe and Wellington, AL. No idea how tall it is, ain't seen any "low clearance" signs posted for it and a quick search on street view doesn't seem to show any either. All I know is that my car (a 2012 Mazda CX-9) just barely fits underneath it and the EMDs I shot rolling over it, an SD40-2T and a GP40-2LW, looked to be close to twice the height of it over the road.
ImageImage
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I cant match that but this used to be the exit from an off street car park near Heathrow - 2.25m
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5032724 ... &entry=ttu
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

freebrickproductions wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 06:14
Berk wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 04:36 Just seen this cracker in Sydney. That’s got to be the lowest yet (2m). :shock:

Probably the lowest I've seen is this tiny little one along the Alabama & Tennessee River Railway's section of the former L&N Mineral Loop between Glencoe and Wellington, AL. No idea how tall it is, ain't seen any "low clearance" signs posted for it and a quick search on street view doesn't seem to show any either. All I know is that my car (a 2012 Mazda CX-9) just barely fits underneath it and the EMDs I shot rolling over it, an SD40-2T and a GP40-2LW, looked to be close to twice the height of it over the road.
ImageImage
Think that beats the railway bridge on Shore Road East at Llanfairfechan, which is 6ft ( 1.83m ).
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

Pendlemac wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:51
freebrickproductions wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 06:14

ImageImage
Think that beats the railway bridge on Shore Road East at Llanfairfechan, which is 6ft ( 1.83m ).
It's probably about 6 feet in height as well, if not just slightly above it, as I'm about 6 feet tall and recall being able to stand all the way up underneath it as well. It's certainly gotta be the smallest in Alabama though.
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I'm fairly sure we've done lowest bridges before and determined that the railway crossing 1.7m at Calidcot near Newport and the 1.6m canal crossing at Kirkintilloch were the runaway winners?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

bothar wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 23:24 Another incident in Cork, it seems to be here

Are high Irish vehicles requiered to have a notice in the cab that reminds the driver of its height? See for example here.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:29 I'm fairly sure we've done lowest bridges before and determined that the railway crossing 1.7m at Calidcot near Newport and the 1.6m canal crossing at Kirkintilloch were the runaway winners?
This sign needs replacing. :@
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Berk wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 15:59
Bryn666 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:29 I'm fairly sure we've done lowest bridges before and determined that the railway crossing 1.7m at Calidcot near Newport and the 1.6m canal crossing at Kirkintilloch were the runaway winners?
This sign needs replacing. :@
They have been.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Starling wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 00:25 They should have one of these height restrictor things with a bar suspended by chains before the bridge. Like seen in the picture below. So if an oversized vehicle drives todays it they hit the bar which would cause minor damage but a loud bang and it would give enough time to brake before hitting the bridge.

That sign isn't to the correct design, but it does raise a serious issue. The x-height of the combined 2016 sign is far too small to be read at any reasonable distance.