A303 Sparkford to Ilchester

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

Re: A303 Sparkford to Ilchester

Post by SteveA30 »

I think it was in the original scheme but was 'descoped' as I believe is the technical term. As mentioned, it will become the new bottleneck within 30 mins of full opening of Sparkford, as the traffic will rush up to it after many miles of 70mph, especially if it is a summer holiday day.
jackal

Post by jackal »

SteveA30 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 15:53 I think it was in the original scheme but was 'descoped' as I believe is the technical term. As mentioned, it will become the new bottleneck within 30 mins of full opening of Sparkford, as the traffic will rush up to it after many miles of 70mph, especially if it is a summer holiday day.
I've never heard that. Feasibility docs from about 2015 treated them as separate schemes.
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

SteveM wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 13:54
Richardf wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 08:46 My guess is Podimore was intended to be done sooner, just waiting for the bits either side of Ilchester to be dualled. Unfortunately that's taken far longer than anticipated!
I suppose my thinking is that if Poidimore had been done first, before the current scheme, the 'throttle' effect would still have been there and overall the traffic flow during construction might have been less impacted. If it happens now, it becomes a scheme at the only flat junction on a 25 mile or so stretch of 70mph HQDC.
I'd say it would have been a pretty bad idea to have Podimore grade separated before the Sparkford section was D2-ed. Imagine traffic whizzing through the junction non stop on a flyover then hitting the lane drop back to S2 at the end of the bypass! Potentially quite dangerous. At least with the roundabout there to slow EB down the lane drop wasn't quite so bad.
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
Herned

Post by Herned »

SteveA30 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 15:53 I think it was in the original scheme but was 'descoped' as I believe is the technical term. As mentioned, it will become the new bottleneck within 30 mins of full opening of Sparkford, as the traffic will rush up to it after many miles of 70mph, especially if it is a summer holiday day.
Not convinced it will, Countess Roundabout never gets much in the way of queues in my experience. Nor does Podimore heading east now, even when there are queues at the end of the DC

YMMV of course
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Checked out the new bit at Sparkford today. It seems to change over to the new w/bnd c/way from the new e/bnd, so that the old road can become e/bnd. This leaves about 3/4 mile of old A303 still in use. The w/bnd bypass approach to the Hazelgrove rbt is now closed and surface stripped.
Attachments
Half of the Sparkford bypass closed
Half of the Sparkford bypass closed
View west from the Hazelgrove school road, with the old garage in the distance
View west from the Hazelgrove school road, with the old garage in the distance
View from the old garage down to Sparkford bypass
View from the old garage down to Sparkford bypass
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Views both ways from the Mattia Diner and closed garage.
In the middle pic, the bulldozer levels soil delivered by tippers that use the A303 each way to access the site
Attachments
Looking west. One of the tippers can be seen heading back empty
Looking west. One of the tippers can be seen heading back empty
Looking east down to Hazelgrove
Looking east down to Hazelgrove
New LILO and rbt on the other side
New LILO and rbt on the other side
Last edited by SteveA30 on Fri Apr 26, 2024 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

A real sense of imminent change now. They may be aiming for the last bit of new road to open by the Spring Bank Holiday half term starting on Sat May 25
Attachments
View west from the garage site
View west from the garage site
Just before the temp tie-in at Gason Lane. The haul road entrance can be seen on the other side.
Just before the temp tie-in at Gason Lane. The haul road entrance can be seen on the other side.
Looking the other way
Looking the other way
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Presumably another weekend closure will see the final changeover, at least to S2, perhaps within a month. D2 by mid July for the summer hols. The lane drop will continue to cause w/bnd tailbacks for a while then.....

I think A303 will beat A30 for total loss of the old road, full D2 could be a draw perhaps.
Attachments
Decay and renewal
Decay and renewal
The point of the e/bnd tie-in on the Sparkford bypass
The point of the e/bnd tie-in on the Sparkford bypass
The queue was along the entire length of the bypass so, the old road through Sparkford continues to live on for a while longer.......
The queue was along the entire length of the bypass so, the old road through Sparkford continues to live on for a while longer.......
Herned

Post by Herned »

Thanks for the photos. I went through there a few weeks ago and some of it looks a long time from ready - the section over the top of the hill most obviously. They must have made some really good progress if there is a chance to get it open this summer