A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RichardEvans67

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Thanks for the video that I assume was from RichardLP :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5MfuYdl4Qw

I was looking to see if got less jerky on the new bit. It did, so I assume the new road is smoother. In several places the new road appeared to slope a lot to the right, but I think that was something to do with camera angle.

I couldn't find the Henver Lane junction. I think the video jumps forward at that part. Also no traffic cylinders down the centre of most of the contraflow. Humm... I wonder whether that could encourage illegal overtakes.
RichardLP

Post by RichardLP »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 08:54 Thanks for the video that I assume was from RichardLP :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5MfuYdl4Qw

I couldn't find the Henver Lane junction. I think the video jumps forward at that part.
I think the dashcam, which records in 5 min sections, did miss a bit at Henver Lane.

I received the following from the Comms Team:

"I can confirm that if you are currently travelling west on the A30 and access the road from the newly re opened Henver Lane junction at the top of Zelah Village, you will not be able to exit the A30 until you reach Chiverton Interchange.

When the new road is fully open that access will extend to Carland Cross.

As you know there are three main interchanges Carland Cross, Chybucca and Chiverton. This is a distance of approx. 7.5 miles. This replicates the distance between many access points Nationally.

It will also prevent Rat Running and ensure that vehicles use the major arterial routes either into Truro and its environs or North Cornwall."

I have also asked them when the 'old' A30 will reopen.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

RichardLP wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 09:29

"I can confirm that if you are currently travelling west on the A30 and access the road from the newly re opened Henver Lane junction at the top of Zelah Village, you will not be able to exit the A30 until you reach Chiverton Interchange.

When the new road is fully open that access will extend to Carland Cross.
Well that's clear (not).
Whenever I think I've worked out what they mean, I read it again, and it still doesn't make sense. :|

So is the Henver Lane junction now open? Presumably with a right turn ban.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

RichardLP wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 09:29

As you know there are three main interchanges Carland Cross, Chybucca and Chiverton. This is a distance of approx. 7.5 miles. This replicates the distance between many access points Nationally.

It will also prevent Rat Running people escaping the route in the event of a collision and ensure that vehicles use the major arterial routes either into Truro and its environs or North Cornwall wait for hours while we try to find a detective to ensure someone is held responsible.
Fixed that for them. In all seriousness, I understand the concept, it's just that I get really, really stressed being unable to move. I'm still not over M25 J27 to J28. It's why I actually prefer taking single carriageway routes over Motorway/motorway like DC sections, as long as nearly everyone else is going that other way. That's why, when it's all finished, I might be tempted by the LAR and certainly from Camborne West, taking the old route as there is no escape from there to Loggans Moor and that will be much worse than now.
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

Related to the scheme, but further down the road, I noticed that a new sign has appeared just west of Tolvaddon Interchange advising "Queues Likely". They obviously expect the queues to worsen west of Camborne and to Loggans Moor once the new road opens.
Harry
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

The next Weeknight and Weekend closure. (22nd April to 29th April).
Further overnight and weekend closures of the A30 next week

There'll be overnight closures of the A30 as follows from Monday 22 April to Thursday 25 April, from 8pm to 6am each night:

* between Scorrier and Boxheater EASTBOUND
* between Boxheater and Chiverton WESTBOUND

There will then be full weekend closures of the A30 as follows from Friday 26 April at 8pm until Monday 29 April at 6am:

* between Scorrier and Boxheater EASTBOUND
* between Boxheater and Chiverton WESTBOUND

Traffic for all these closures (including HGVs and high sided vehicles) will be diverted as follows:

* via the B3277, A3075 and B3285 for eastbound traffic
* the B3285 and A3075 for westbound traffic.

Westbound traffic will rejoin the A30 at Chiverton in order to avoid the low bridge at Scorrier. You can view the diversion routes here.

For these closures, local access north and south via the B3284 at Chybucca will be maintained throughout. The closures will be focused on surfacing, installation of bases for new signage, and infrastructure work along the route.
The diversion map has improved
https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... 7ab19c.jpg
RichardLP

Post by RichardLP »

A bit more information from the Comms Team and a couple of diagrams.

"The old A30 currently closed to traffic just west of Tolgroggan bridge through to Chybucca is due to reopen when the new Green Bridge is completed at Marazanvose in late August 2024. The road is open between Shortlanesend to Zelah village via the old temp lights at Zelah West."

Henver-Lane.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-17 at 14.30.49 (1).jpeg
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

New pictures on the web site:
https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-road ... and-cross/

The first few only show what we already knew. But the later ones get more interesting.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Just seen on the video, that a section of central barrier at Marazanvoze appears to be temporary concrete blocks. (about 100 yards long, soon after the green bridge). For starters you can see gaps at the bottom, presumably for a forklift to move them.

Perhaps they just haven't built that part yet. Or perhaps they will be using a switch there for some later stage.

The rest of the barrier (after Tolgorran) looks permanent, except for the current switch near Chybucca.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

crowntown100 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 13:11 Related to the scheme, but further down the road, I noticed that a new sign has appeared just west of Tolvaddon Interchange advising "Queues Likely". They obviously expect the queues to worsen west of Camborne and to Loggans Moor once the new road opens.
Interesting! I'm slightly surprised they added that sign before the new road was complete, but maybe they want to make it seem unrelated.

Many here, including myself, have pondered about Loggans Moor becoming a bottleneck in the future, as I assume a reasonably high percentage of summer A30 traffic that goes west of Chiverton Cross will go to Loggans Moor, given Redruth, Pool and Camborne aren't really tourist destinations. It doesn't help that the road reduces lanes between Camborne and Loggans Moor, which I believe already leads to some queuing at peak times.

I wonder if part time traffic lights at Loggans Moor that give the A30 priority could be a possible solution?
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Paul237 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:02 I wonder if part time traffic lights at Loggans Moor that give the A30 priority could be a possible solution?
There was a scheme for Logging Moor. I think it was for a housing development. They were going to hamburger the roundabout with the A30 through the middle. All controlled by traffic lights. The A30 was dueled which I presume was to make up for the lights making it stop start.

I've no idea whether that scheme is still going ahead. I remember it seemed very expensive for a junction without grade separation. We had a discussion about it somewhere on here.
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:33 There was a scheme for Logging Moor. I think it was for a housing development. They were going to hamburger the roundabout with the A30 through the middle. All controlled by traffic lights. The A30 was dueled which I presume was to make up for the lights making it stop start.

I've no idea whether that scheme is still going ahead. I remember it seemed very expensive for a junction without grade separation. We had a discussion about it somewhere on here.
It was cancelled as the developer argued that they didn't need to build it for the number of houses they are building. Personally, I'm glad that it didn't go ahead as it seemed a poor solution to the problem, but it doesn't negate the fact the that roundabout is already overloaded most of the year at peak times, even outside of holiday season.
Harry
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

Yeah the housing development was 'only' for 85 houses.

More about the decision here:
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... ut-8186539
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 07:22 Just seen on the video, that a section of central barrier at Marazanvoze appears to be temporary concrete blocks. (about 100 yards long, soon after the green bridge). For starters you can see gaps at the bottom, presumably for a forklift to move them.

Perhaps they just haven't built that part yet. Or perhaps they will be using a switch there for some later stage.

The rest of the barrier (after Tolgorran) looks permanent, except for the current switch near Chybucca.
These could be demountable for emergency access in future, there are lengths of delta bloc (other brands are available) on many motorways that look unfinished but serve this function.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 13:55
These could be demountable for emergency access in future, there are lengths of delta bloc (other brands are available) on many motorways that look unfinished but serve this function.
I think you are right. I just had a look at the plans, and a bit west of the green bridge it says Emergency Crossover.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

crowntown100 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 13:36
RichardEvans67 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:33 There was a scheme for Logging Moor. I think it was for a housing development. They were going to hamburger the roundabout with the A30 through the middle. All controlled by traffic lights. The A30 was dueled which I presume was to make up for the lights making it stop start.

It was cancelled as the developer argued that they didn't need to build it for the number of houses they are building. Personally, I'm glad that it didn't go ahead as it seemed a poor solution to the problem, but it doesn't negate the fact the that roundabout is already overloaded most of the year at peak times, even outside of holiday season.
Here's the article in fact Hayle Town Council took Cornwall County Council to the High Court over it and lost. The scheme had £12.9 million investment from Homes England, so the costs must have spiralled as asking a 85 house development to fund any scheme of this size would not meet the tests of reasonability in planning.

However could be a shrewd move by Cornwall Council. Each improvement along the A30 has excecated the queues elsewhere , Goss Moor for example increased queues at Temple eastbound, Temple and Goss Moor increased queues to Carland. Once Carland to Chiverton is completed a 100 mile HQDC will pile first onto a SC road and then three miles later a signalised roundabout. That is going to create a huge queue , which NH may have to sort out sooner rather than later.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Just looking at the video and comments above it would seem unlikely that if the road opens in June it will not be running at 70 until at least August as the Nancarrow Green Bridge over the new and old A30 will not be completed to August.

Also I did not realise, until I checked the plans below, that the original Zelah bypass will remain, I thought this would be removed and traffic return to running through the village. So another Great Dunnow where a recent single carriageway bypass will be bypassed with a DC one.

Overview Plan Plan Section A Plan Section B Plan Section C
The M25 - The road to nowhere
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

A303Chris wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 14:32 Just looking at the video and comments above it would seem unlikely that if the road opens in June it will not be running at 70 until at least August as the Nancarrow Green Bridge over the new and old A30 will not be completed to August.

Also I did not realise, until I checked the plans below, that the original Zelah bypass will remain, I thought this would be removed and traffic return to running through the village. So another Great Dunnow where a recent single carriageway bypass will be bypassed with a DC one.

Overview Plan Plan Section A Plan Section B Plan Section C
Yes, it will join the list of quite small places with two bypasses. Even more so than Great Dunmow, I'm thinking elsewhere in Essex i.e. Battlesbridge.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

A303Chris wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 14:32
Although, from looking at Zelah on Goolge Street View. I don't think it would be anywhere near satisfactory to have even the local route running through it. So it was a choice of either a local by-pass, of more junctions on the new D2, to allow local traffic to use the A30 D2 by-pass. That would make the A30 not nearly so good as a trunk road, so I can see their logic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3263296 ... ?entry=ttu

Notice that at this bit, they have had to use narrow pavements, with the road close to buildings. Yet the road is still narrow. I think any significant amount of traffic through here would be terrible.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

A303Chris wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 14:25
crowntown100 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 13:36

Here's the article in fact Hayle Town Council took Cornwall County Council to the High Court over it and lost. The scheme had £12.9 million investment from Homes England, so the costs must have spiralled as asking a 85 house development to fund any scheme of this size would not meet the tests of reasonability in planning.

However could be a shrewd move by Cornwall Council. Each improvement along the A30 has excecated the queues elsewhere , Goss Moor for example increased queues at Temple eastbound, Temple and Goss Moor increased queues to Carland. Once Carland to Chiverton is completed a 100 mile HQDC will pile first onto a SC road and then three miles later a signalised roundabout. That is going to create a huge queue , which NH may have to sort out sooner rather than later.
Presumably analysis of traffic data has been done on this. I'm sometimes surprised at how much traffic hits Loggans Moor, when you think Cornwall is a peninsula and there's not much west of it! St Ives and Penzance aren't big compared to large cities, for example.

I know holiday traffic massively increases it, but as was posted earlier, it's busy at peak times all year round.