A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

IAN

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by IAN »

multiraider2 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 16:03
Keiji wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 14:01
I'm sure you already know of it, but I'd definitely recommend a visit to the Porthcurno telegraph museum.

I'm the kind of person that will generally spend an hour or two in a museum... but I was there all day and still hadn't seen everything :D
Yes looks good, but funnily enough, never gone in. Went to Porthcurno for the first time on 29 April 1991 with my (now) wife. Was a rainy day and not a holiday week so we had the enitre place to ourselves. Not a single soul was seen. I don't think the museum was open at that point, or if it was I missed it. But you could in those days still see the telegraph cables at the edge of the beach on their very long trip across the Atlantic. Was staying at Treknow so would have been a fair old trip but would have used the Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross section without issue.

I don't think we went back until the children were born and then much busier and I don't think it would have much interested them. 2nd home ownership in Cornwall having spiralled and the Internet revealling the attractive places to all, meaning you can hardly breathe there now in the summer and with car parks full from early. Another sigh...
You may also like the Marconi Centre at Poldhu on the Lizard Peninsula, a small but interesting museum at the site of the first radio transmission - run by very knowledgeable volunteers, check opening hours. Poldhu Cove is nearby, which is far nicer than the over-rated and over-crowded Kynance Cove just down the road.

https://www.marconi-centre-poldhu.org.uk/
AKA M5 Driver
techdan2002

Post by techdan2002 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 17:00 Also:
Philps Pasties in Hayle
Or
Anns Pasties in Lizard.

Anything other pasty doesn't count. Do NOT go to Warrens or Rowes. Mass produced. Not good.
Gear Farm between Mawgan and St Martin trumps those two and takes you down some proper twisty roads! Fully agree with your statement about Warrens and Rowes though! Etheringtons in Scorrier, Pips in Penryn and Penny’s in Falmouth are also favourites of mine.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Great spot Richard! That western end really looking pretty much done now. Looks very smart. The rest looking much better also with the vast majority (if not all) of the earth works finished. Zelah area looking much much better. Not long now!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 17:50 Not long now!
They seem to be taking about June now. Yes most of it looks done or very close, especially in the west. However Carland not so good, but presumably if the switch near the end of this month is OK. Then they could get the rest done in a few, months if the weather isn't too bad.

PS. By the rest, I mean the rest of the main D2. Other bits could still take a fair bit longer.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Once they divert the traffic at Carland onto the northern eastbound slip, that then certainly clears traffic off the main path. On one of the pics I noticed that the Carland eastbound off slip looks tarmaced. June is only 3 or so months away now.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 20:31 Once they divert the traffic at Carland onto the northern eastbound slip, that then certainly clears traffic off the main path. On one of the pics I noticed that the Carland eastbound off slip looks tarmaced. June is only 3 or so months away now.
I'm not sure about the off slip being tarmacked. It looks to me to be about ready for tarmacking though. What you call the northern eastbound slip, is I assume the EB on slip. They plan to divert the mainline onto this near the end of this month. I think that should clear the traffic away from all the rest that they need to construct. So that switch later this month, could well be the last switch before they are ready to open the whole junction.
noordinarymorning

Post by noordinarymorning »

Gaz909909 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 17:00 Also:
Philps Pasties in Hayle
Or
Anns Pasties in Lizard.

Anything other pasty doesn't count. Do NOT go to Warrens or Rowes. Mass produced. Not good.
My wife's family have been holidaying in Penwith (West Cornwall) since the 1950s and swear by McFadden's in St Just, usually eaten while sat in the car admiring the view at Cape Cornwall. (Philps' are good too though; I'm a particular fan of their chicken, though it gets denounced as heresy by the in-laws!)

We usually go down 2-3 times a year - the next time will be Easter, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the scheme's coming along now!

As for the future: since a reasonable chunk of the St Erth to Long Rock traffic is local anyway, I would have thought a good-quality S2 bypass of Crowlas & Canon's Town with few/no intermediate junctions, plus junction improvements at both ends, would split the traffic well enough to alleviate even the worst of the summer queues despite the 25K AADT (and be considerably easier to justify the cost and environmental impact than continuing the HQDC beyond Camborne).
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Cornish Oven also...

Asking for anything other than a *medium steak is nonsense.

As I've said before (and as you know) outside of June to September St Erth to Long Rock is fine. I would prefer improvements to the A394 to Helston.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

I've put a new video up...normal traffic queue at beginning...Westbound.... I'm trying out a new camera angle! https://youtu.be/8EBIP3ETTyI
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

AAndy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 09:11 I've put a new video up
I've been trying to find out what the new layout is, and this answers that. I intend to have a better look when I'm less tired, as there seems to also be other things to see.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Observations.

2:15 Carland EB.
A bit of surfacing not finished yet. You can't really see the EB on slip. Presumably they much have nearly all of it done, if they intend to switch to it later this month.

6:37 Multispecies crossing (Near Ennis lane).
Looks pretty much complete now, at least the part under the D2. The plans show it also going under the LAR, I don't know whether they still plan to do that.

9:26 Trevalso Lane.
The temporary entrance to the lane seems to still be there, but not open to the public.

12:22 Marazanvose Bridge.
The north side of the bridge gradually taking shape.

13:26 Phone Tower access.
The plans say access to the tower from the Layby. This has never appeared. It now looks like a short dedicated track to the tower from the LAR.

Also for a long time there was an access road across where the D2 is now. This went to a new lane running along the south side of the D2, to access various properties etc. The D2 now goes straight through here. I think the new lane is now accessed from just south of the Allet Lane bridge.

17:08 WB cariageway just past Chybucca.
WB carriageway look almost ready to start surfacing.
Cornish hedge coming along.
Can't see what the bit of the LAR is like.

17:22 Start of recent switch.
This is where the A30 mainline was previously switching carriageways.
Now it's just the WB traffic that switches carriageways. (Although EB changes lane a little further along). East of here is as before. West of here is now D1, using the offside lanes (Nearest the central barrer).

21:01 Under the footbridge.
It looks like a new footpath being built, alongside the D2 under the WCH bridge. This would explain why the bridge seem to span a lot more than just the width of the new road. I wonder if there is also one on the other side.

21:24 Attenuation pond.
You can't see a lot of it, but what you can see looks pretty much complete.

Edit:
Also I couldn't see any more sign of bumps across the Chiverton flyover. Perhaps they have done the final surfacing now.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

AAndy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 09:11 I've put a new video up...normal traffic queue at beginning...Westbound.... I'm trying out a new camera angle! https://youtu.be/8EBIP3ETTyI
What a fantastic video! The high up vantage point is excellent. The first video where I can see the old and new road in the Pennycomequick area. Brilliant!

Thanks again. Really worth the effort.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

I'll try again, something <proverbialed> up last time :|
Gaz909909 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 20:58 What a fantastic video! The high up vantage point is excellent.
I found it looked different, but couldn't work out why.
The first video where I can see the old and new road in the Pennycomequick area. Brilliant!
I couldn't find the PCQ bridge.
Is it there if I keep looking?
Herned

Post by Herned »

AAndy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 09:11 I've put a new video up...normal traffic queue at beginning...Westbound.... I'm trying out a new camera angle! https://youtu.be/8EBIP3ETTyI
Excellent, that's a really useful angle to see more.

June looks just about possible for the main road but I would be surprised if everything is done by June
IAN

Post by IAN »

Herned wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 07:45
Excellent, that's a really useful angle to see more.

June looks just about possible for the main road but I would be surprised if everything is done by June
Yes, it’s only the D2 that should open in June. Sections of the LAR and some side roads will remain inaccessible so it’s likely that the D2 will have a 40mph speed restriction for some time.
AKA M5 Driver
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

This might be a mistake.
https://cornishstuff.com/2024/03/22/a30 ... 5-03-2024/
Scroll down to the map of the diversion route. It shows both the west facing slip at Chybucca. I also just noticed they show the closed new route as going under the bridge at Chybucca. Hummm.... I wonder whether they know something we don't.

Edit:
The map used by National highways is the same. So it's not a matter of whether the above page know something, it more a matter of whether National Highways are planning something soon.

Also this is a bit confusing.
https://planetradio.co.uk/pirate-fm/loc ... -cornwall/
On Monday, drivers will also experience a new layout at the Carland Cross roundabout, to allow for work to progress at the eastern end of the scheme.
The closure is Chiverton to Boxheater (Not Carland). Then again, they didn't say the change at Carland needs a closure, although it implied it's part of the closure.

Interesting that changes at the Chiverton end always seem to require closures, but they don't seem to need closures at the Carland end.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

How long ago was the traffic moved back on to the old A30 at Trevalso? I must have missed that.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 18:25 How long ago was the traffic moved back on to the old A30 at Trevalso? I must have missed that.
It was done during a weekend closure. A quick trawl through my Emails found this.
There will be a weekend closure of the A30 between Boxheater and Scorrier from Friday 9 February at 8pm until Monday 12 February at 6am. Traffic will be diverted via the B3285, A3075 and B3277 with different routes for HGVs. You can view the diversion routes here.

Please note that the overnight closures scheduled for 5 to 9 February are no longer required.

For this closure, local access north and south at the new Chiverton interchange and via the B3284 at Chybucca will be maintained throughout. The weekend will be focused on drainage, concreting, central reservation work, barrier construction, bridge related construction activities and a traffic switch at Trevalso.
Note the very last bit.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Yep I do recall that now.

Did you notice at Chybucca there is a white line down the middle of the eastbound carriageway, as though they are going to extend the D1 to the Marazanvose section??