Smallest place signed from a motorway?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

stuzer

Re: Smallest place signed from a motorway?

Post by stuzer »

I'd have thought Crook of Devon (signed off junction 5 of the M90) would be a contender. However, wikipedia suggests it has a population of nearly 800, which I would never have imagined.
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

Paul7755 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 22:00 In the Post Office address finder “Scotch Corner” seems to be considered as a street in the village of Middleton Tyas. Perhaps it isn’t a place after all…
Yes, I would concur with this. Scotch Corner is a junction, in the village of Middleton Tyas. The village is not signed from a motorway, but the junction is. I'd put it in the same category as airports and bridges in that sense.
-
Edit, if we were including streets/junctions and the like as 'places', then Carliol Square is signed from the A167(M). I'm not aware that it currently has any residential properties on it. Plummer House, a student halls with 251 rooms according to its website so a similar population I guess, borders it but its address is Market Street.
Barkstar

Post by Barkstar »

Well I did think I had a doozy but on checking on GSV it looks like the signs have been updated. When the M6 Toll was opened local signing was very clearly bias towards getting traffic onto the toll road. None more so that where the M42 and M6T split at jct 11 near Coleshill. For years the first exit on the M42 north was SP A446 Wishaw. Wishaw is a village of 125 residents and the first side turning off the A446 half a mile or so from the junction. It is now SP for Lichfield, as it really should have been in the first place.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Sometimes hard to know just what the population actually is, often the numbers you can find are for parishes rather than the actual villages. I'd wondered if Brough might be a contender but it's up at 822 from the 2021 census - whether that's the parish or the village I don't know, but I suspect the former.
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

You's are all talking about Scotch Corner but Piercebridge, the next junction North with 113 people, must be up there.
owen b

Post by owen b »

Whipsnade used to be signed from M1 J9 : https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/ ... m1-296378g These days Redbourn is signed instead.

It won't win any prizes on this thread, but it must be one of the smaller places in southern England to have merited a motorway sign. The parish population was 455 at the 2021 census according to Wikipedia. No doubt Whipsnade was signed partly as a proxy for the zoo, and also to keep northbound Dunstable traffic on the motorway until J11.
Owen
Disgruntled Goat

Post by Disgruntled Goat »

Gaydon (population 530) off M40 J12 will be one of the smaller places signed. Of course more notable for being the access to the JLR/Aston Martin sites.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xjYFzW3zbDyDBMyt8
explo

Post by explo »

wallmeerkat wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 15:26 Northern Ireland will be like shooting fish in a barrel :D

Loughgall for example - population (2011 census via wikipedia) - 282, signed from the M1 (NI)

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4810552 ... ?entry=ttu

Sprucefield is a retail park area around the junction for the M1/A1 (NI), probably differentiates where they want to move Dublin traffic onto the next junction nearby (when it is probably quicker to go via Sprucefield)

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4948914 ... ?entry=ttu

Carn and Seagoe (small areas around Portadown) from M12 (NI)

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4516187 ... ?entry=ttu

Greencastle on the M2 (NI) is a fairly large junction before the motorway heads uphill, but it's an old village in North Belfast that was decimated by said junction

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.6453868 ... ?entry=ttu

Cushendall on M2 (NI) Ballymena bypass population (2011 census via wikipedia) - 1280

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.8699515 ... ?entry=ttu
The Birches is also now signed from the M1 (eastbound only) - population 319.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Steven wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 17:12
jnty wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:51
Bryn666 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:21 Has to be a toss-up between Crianlarich and Scotch Corner doesn't it?
Is Scotch Corner strictly a habitable place'? I thought it described a junction rather than a settlement. You wouldn't refer to the population of Broxden Roundabout for example.
There are some hotels at Scotch Corner and a caravan park, so it will have a non-zero population at any given time, up to a maximum of not very much when the hotels and caravan park are full.
Plus, in these days when many people are forced to live in tents rather than have a mortgage, there could be a few of those too.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Owain wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 00:26
Steven wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 17:12
jnty wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:51

Is Scotch Corner strictly a habitable place'? I thought it described a junction rather than a settlement. You wouldn't refer to the population of Broxden Roundabout for example.
There are some hotels at Scotch Corner and a caravan park, so it will have a non-zero population at any given time, up to a maximum of not very much when the hotels and caravan park are full.
Plus, in these days when many people are forced to live in tents rather than have a mortgage, there could be a few of those too.
No no, living in a tent is a lifestyle choice, according to Cruella.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
dereer

Post by dereer »

Horse and Jockey is signed off the M8 (Republic of Ireland), despite being so small it isn't included in the census. Haven't been there, but looking at GSV, it appears to exist mostly to serve the road with few houses.
it/he/they | aka computerfan0
My travelled roads can be found here.

From the SABRE Wiki: M8 (Republic of Ireland) :

The M8 is the main motorway from Dublin (via the N7 / M7) to Cork. Some sections of it are tolled, while others are upgrades from the existing high-quality dual carriageway N8.

The M8 is part of the NRA's 'Southwest Corridor', making it a key priority for upgrades.

The M8 starts at Ballycuddahy, some 18 km south-west of

... Read More