Norwich western link and orbital bypasses

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: Norwich western link and orbital bypasses

Post by Owain »

roadtester wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 14:50Not far from Bath - Bristol. That's something of a by-pass/orbital desert given its size and importance.
Bristol, Leeds, and Sheffield are all nightmares if you're on the wrong side from the place you want to go.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Rogndave

Post by Rogndave »

Peterborough (pop 215k) is very well served by its parkway ring, which is almost fully grade separated on its northern, southern, and western sides, with only two roundabouts at the eastern extremities.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Rogndave wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 20:30 Peterborough (pop 215k) is very well served by its parkway ring, which is almost fully grade separated on its northern, southern, and western sides, with only two roundabouts at the eastern extremities.
Good point.

I was also just wondering about MK, with its extensive dualling and grid system. If we take the outermost DCs on each side, can we call that an orbital?
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
AnOrdinarySABREUser

Post by AnOrdinarySABREUser »

I see, thanks to a golf course, that there’s an unnecessary roundabout with the A1067 where it could otherwise be realigned to improve traffic flow along the A1270. :confused:
AOSU
Mapping roads and schemes on OpenStreetMap!
owen b

Post by owen b »

skiddaw05 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 23:16 It appears the Norwich western link road, which would complete the northern distributor road (A1270) between the A1067 and A47, has been delayed again, due to rising costs and more environmental concerns (bats this time). It was always rather ambitious proposal and somewhat at odds with current thinking, but if it ever does get built it his would mean Norwich would have a completely dualled orbital bypass

And this got me thinking, I can’t bring to mind any other cities or towns of comparable size to Norwich (or many larger ones) which have such a bypass. Any offers?
Chester is a near miss, with the missing slip roads M53 - M56 at the north east corner. Admittedly Chester is rather smaller than Norwich and the M56 / A494 section is only fairly loosely a bypass of Chester.
Owen
jackal

Post by jackal »

Rogndave wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 20:30 Peterborough (pop 215k) is very well served by its parkway ring, which is almost fully grade separated on its northern, southern, and western sides, with only two roundabouts at the eastern extremities.
Clockwise there are 4 roundabouts, two on the western side (1 is omitted anticlockwise due to a SLT). Of course I agree it is great provision for its size though.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

roadtester wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 20:49 Good point.

I was also just wondering about MK, with its extensive dualling and grid system. If we take the outermost DCs on each side, can we call that an orbital?
Not really, I did a LOT of commuting between Oxford and Cambridge and the problem with MK was that while the individual sections of road may be OK there are just so many roundabouts between the A421 at Brogborough and the A421 at Standing Way, 17 as I recall in a little over 10 miles. The A5 on the other hand is a quick and easy way to get from the Kelly's Kitchen Roundabout to the Old Stratford Roundabout. I tried Groveway but its largely S2 and also roundabout hell.

What is really needed is a southern bypass of MK.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

What this thread teaches us is we are actually terrible at ring roads. Most places do not have a complete ring of any form, and those that do find they're not always connected up properly.

My favourite example will always be when the A5085 in Preston was signed as a ring road despite being a straight line 1930s bypass.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

Crawley?
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

Is there even a large demand for a Norwich western link? I suppose it'd take pressure off the B1535 which, from looking at Google Maps, is possibly used as a bit of a rat run for eastbound A47 traffic that is heading to the north Norfolk coast.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Paul237 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 14:32 Is there even a large demand for a Norwich western link? I suppose it'd take pressure off the B1535 which, from looking at Google Maps, is possibly used as a bit of a rat run for eastbound A47 traffic that is heading to the north Norfolk coast.
There isn't at the moment but the road is being built so Norwich can invite people to build loads of houses around it.

We're still designing car dependent suburbs in 2024. Wild.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
royal

Post by royal »

Exactly that. Hence why the NDR is called a Distributor Road instead of a bypass, as is common with most new build roads now.

I think it is fairly unusual for the case in Norwich, whereby the NDR is built D2 instead of S2 from the start, not sure this capacity is needed at present but nice to see they’re planning in advance for all the new developments.

In terms of need and capacity, I would have thought the full dualling of the A47 through Norfolk would have taken priority over this Norwich orbital route.