Dartford Bridge

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gav

Dartford Bridge

Post by Gav »

Crossed this the other week, and I noted that there was a truck brake fail ramp off to the left, remember this from the original crossing when they had to provide a way so the truck could miss the toll booths... However is there not still a risk with the bridge and a runaway truck ? thought they would have maintained some escape coming off of the bridge in the event of a brake issue.
multiraider2

Re: Dartford Bridge

Post by multiraider2 »

I believe that generally escape lanes are regarded as now not so necessary. Better brakes etc. Many have been left to be overgrown. In this particular case, instead of a stationary wall of traffic at the crossing barrier, you now have a free-flowing, gently rising straight in front of you, with mostly traffic speeding up from the 50 mph specs enforced bridge. I was not a party to the consideration, but I would guess that the need for it now would have been considered as highly unlikely. Which is why the old provision is now behind the barriers.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

multiraider2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:48 I believe that generally escape lanes are regarded as now not so necessary. Better brakes etc. Many have been left to be overgrown. In this particular case, instead of a stationary wall of traffic at the crossing barrier, you now have a free-flowing, gently rising straight in front of you, with mostly traffic speeding up from the 50 mph specs enforced bridge. I was not a party to the consideration, but I would guess that the need for it now would have been considered as highly unlikely. Which is why the old provision is now behind the barriers.
There are still some escape lanes around, Dover Hill comes to mind but of course its rather steeper than descent from the Queen Elizabeth Bridge.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.094566, ... &entry=ttu
baroudeur

Post by baroudeur »

Still one in Hemel Hempstead nearside wheels only

https://tinyurl.com/yc6dkz88

https://tinyurl.com/22vvz5ny
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Lostwithiel. Barely any wheel. Better a scrape than a smash.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

multiraider2 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 18:22 Lostwithiel. Barely any wheel. Better a scrape than a smash.
I really have my doubts how well that will work - it doesn't seem to have been weeded for at least 10 years, so there's no sand left to sink in to! Looking back at 2008 it's completely clear of weeds.