Ideas and stuff

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Ideas and stuff

Post by Chris5156 »

Sorry Brad, it's me and my rival website (you know you love me really). I'm just testing the water a bit.
I have a couple of new ideas that I'm going to be putting into action in a couple of weeks, and I'd just like to know what kind of reaction they'll get. The site it probably going to become a bit more geeky now (Roadgeeky if you like, it's what we users of misc.transport.road call ourselves). I'm launching...
  • A listing of all the 1- and 2-digit A-roads, with start and finish points
  • A database of every British motorway, with number, start, finish, places passed, length, motorways that start on it, spurs it has and motorways it crosses, plus some notes.</UL> Anyone thinks this may well be the most boring thing on the internet, or who conversely has smething to add (I'm willing to consider anything in this area) let me know please. Ta!
    Oh, and by the way, Brad, when can we expect an updfate of SABRE? Is one in the pipeline? Cheers!
    Chris
Guy-Barry
Banned

Post by Guy-Barry »

<<I'm launching... A listing of all the 1- and 2-digit A-roads, with start and finish points >>
Great! I tried this a while ago, but so many of them are discontinuous now that they can be difficult to catalogue. I've even tried setting the catalogue to music, to the tune of Flanders and Swann's "Hippopotamus Song", but perhaps I'll save that one for Christmas...
<< A database of every British motorway, with number, start, finish, places passed, length, motorways that start on it, spurs it has and motorways it crosses, plus some notes. >>
Plus junctions and their numbers, I assume. Yes, this would be a splendid idea.
Guy
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

<<Great! I tried this a while ago, but so many of them are discontinuous now that they can be difficult to catalogue. I've even tried setting the catalogue to music, to the tune of Flanders and Swann's "Hippopotamus Song", but perhaps I'll save that one for Christmas...>>
That would be interesting to hear. I've got the list compiled anyway, just with the road number, start and finish point. Even if nobody else cares when I upload it then at least I like it!
<<Plus junctions and their numbers, I assume. Yes, this would be a splendid idea.>>
I balked at this idea at first, so the database I'm producing at the moment doesn't have it, but I'll be adding them one by one later on. American "roadgeeks" if you like do this all the time, have a look on Google for "exit lists". It should be a useful reference.
Chris (http://www.error-404.co.uk/roads by the way!)