From Roader's Digest: The SABRE Wiki
|From:||A199 at Beltonford (NT644777)|
|To:||A1 near Broxburn (NT698765)|
|Length:||4 miles (6.4 km)|
|Meets:||A1, A199, B6370|
From a modern map it would seem that the A1087 is a renumbering of the A1 as it has bypassed Dunbar, but this is not so. Old maps show the forerunner of the A1 passing well south of the town on virtually the present line, for example this one of 1824.
The A1 was thus always the avoiding road with the A1087 the branch through the town, the two meeting at either end. As the A199 has been extended eastwards with the construction of the A1 Expressway, it is now on the former rather than the latter road that the A1087 has its western end at the Beltonford roundabout, named after a local farm. It is in East Lothian throughout.
Beltonford - Broxburn
Travelling east from Beltonford, our road passes through flat farmland before entering the village of West Barns, now virtually attached to Dunbar. A road on the left goes to the John Muir Country Park, named after the most famous local inhabitant, who emigrated to the USA where he was greatly influential in the development of National Parks. Shortly after on the right is the northern end of the B6370, which used to lead to Stenton via a crossroads with the A1, but following that road's dualling past Dunbar has been reduced to only a short detached piece in the built-up area. (The southern part of the B6370 now ends at the Thistly Cross roundabout on the A1, where the A199 also ends.)
The next district is Belhaven, famous for beer. A brewery was opened here in 1719, the company remaining independent until 2005 when it was taken over by Greene King. The original site is still in use, but most production is at a trading estate elsewhere in the town. Belhaven is also famous for the sands of that name, a huge beach which is part of the country park.
The road now runs through a built-up area of no real distinction until it comes to a T junction halfway along Dunbar High Street, impressively wide and straight, where we turn right and head southwards. After a gyratory scheme, with a road to the station on the ECML, the A1087 now heads southeast and soon reaches open country. There is a final settlement, the few houses of the much less than a village of Broxburn, then a roundabout giving access to the huge cement works which dominates views over a large area, then shortly the A1 is reached on a long stretch of D2.
Original Author(s): Ian198