|From:||Hangleton Bypass (TQ260075)|
|To:||Portslade by Sea (TQ263058)|
|Length:||1.1 miles (1.8 km)|
|Meets:|| A27, A270|
|Now part of:||B2193, B2194|
Brighton & Hove
|Route outline (key)|
||Hangleton Bypass – Old Shoreham Road
||Old Shoreham Road – Portslade Basin
The A293 is a short link road in the Portslade area. The road is now located further north than it has been.
The A293 did not exist in the 1922 Road Lists but came into existence in 1924, having taken over the B2125 and presumably part of the A277 to connect the A27 (now A270) and the A259. In the 1960s the route of the A293 was straightened and the whole of the road south of the original line of the A27 has now been downgraded.
With the construction of the A27 Brighton northern bypass, the A293 was extended north to link the current and former routes of the A27, thus giving the road its current route.
The A293 starts at a dumbbell interchange under the A27. It then heads south as S2 for about ½ a mile until coming to a roundabout with Fox Way. It then continues round a slight right hand curve to another roundabout for Sainsbury's. After this the road is D2 for about 400 yards until it reaches a set of traffic lights with the A270. The A293 ends here but continued until the 2010s.
The original line of the A293 in 1926
At this point the A293 used to turn right at this junction and multiplex with the A270 Old Shoreham Road for about ½ a mile until coming to Southern Cross, a signalised crossroads. From there it followed the route of the now-B2193 along Trafalgar Road and Church Road to end on the A259.
This is not the original line of the road, however. In 1924, the A293 only followed the northern section of Trafalgar Road before turning left into Victoria Road then right over the level crossing onto the road which is both Station Road, Portslade, and Boundary Road, Hove, still ending on the A259. This section is now the B2194.