Before the Ilminster bypass opened, the A3037 left the A358 (renumbered A303 in 1933 and now unclassified) in the middle of town, running south down East Street, Ditton Street and Listers Hill (and gaining a spur along Silver Street/West Street when the A3038 was abolished in 1935). Curving round to the west at Dowlish Ford, it kinked left at Sea to reach the A374 (now A358). A slight extension to this route was required when the A358 was diverted along the old railway line to improve its alignment. The whole route can be seen in the map to the right. It was declassified in 1988 with the building of the Ilminster bypass and the declassification of the A303.
An image has been requested for this article.