A430 (Chippenham - Bristol)
From Roader's Digest: The SABRE Wiki
|Length:||23.3 miles (37.5 km)|
|Met:||A420, A46, A431, A4017, A432, A36|
|Now part of:||A420|
|Route outline (key)|
The A430 was originally allocated to the road between Chippenham and Bristol. In 1922 it was the only road between the two places as the A4 only got as far as Bath before being taken over by the A36. Presumably, therefore, the road was of some importance.
Starting on the A420 just to the north of the A4 in Chippenham town centre, the road headed westwards through a few small villages. It crossed the A46 at Cold Ashton and continued along a road more winding than before. After going through Kingswood the road reached Bristol. It entered town along West Street and Castle Street before running along a road now destroyed by Castle Park. The A430 ended by bearing left and meeting the A36 (now B4053) by Bristol Bridge.