For detailed information about this topic, see Rural Roads
The B1004 runs from Bishop's Stortford to Ware in Hertfordshire. Its northern terminus is on the B1383 (ex A11) Stansted Road in Bishop's Stortford, and provides a route from here to the town centre avoiding the Hockerill Traffic lights. When originally designated, this stretch which ended on the old A120 was all there was to the B1004.
Now, the road continues via a short multiplex with both the A1250 and B1529 and then out through Much Hadham, Wareside and Widford to Ware along a road that was originally designated as B1002 (the designation B1002 has subsequently been re-used in Essex). By 1946 the original B1002 had been redesignated A119, a designation which lasted until it was downgraded once again to a B road, this time taking its present number.