From Roader's Digest: The SABRE Wiki
|From:||near Harleston (TM246819)|
|To:||near Blythburgh (TM449763)|
|Length:||15.5 miles (24.9 km)|
|Meets:||B1116, A144, B1124, A145|
|Now part of:||A1095|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1123 is a rural B-road in east Suffolk.
It starts on the B1116 to the south of the Norfolk town of Harleston, on the Suffolk side of the River Waveney (and does not enter Norfolk). It then continues east via Metfield to reach the A144 in Halesworth.
The original classified roads in Halesworth have now been declassified and relief roads built. The B1123 therefore avoids the Market Place en route to the A144 but still multiplexes north along that road albeit along the relief road rather than the Thoroughfare.
Regaining its number, the B1123 continues east from Halesworth, going under the Ipswich to Lowestoft railway line and following (not very closely) the left bank of the River Blyth via Blyford to end on the A145 under a mile to the north of Blythburgh.
In 1922 the B1123 continued east of here. The section as far as the A12 has been downgraded to a public footpath but east of there it followed what is now the A1095 to Southwold. The A-road was created in the early 1920s and the footpath created in the 1960s.