From Roader's Digest: The SABRE Wiki
|From:||Partridge Green (TQ189190)|
|To:||near Cooksbridge (TQ399128)|
|Length:||14.3 miles (23 km)|
|Meets:||B2135, A281, B2118, B2117, A273, B2112, A275|
|Former Number(s):||B2117, B2136|
|Now part of:||B2117|
|Route outline (key)|
It starts on the B2135 in Partridge Green. It heads east through the village, soon arriving at the A281 in Shermanbury. The B2116 multiplexes south along the A-road for a longer distance than it has existed so far.
Before getting to Henfield, the B2116 regains its number and continues east. It goes through no places of importance for a few miles until it reaches Albourne.
It crosses the B2118 (formerly the A23) via a short multiplex in Albourne then crosses the A23 via a bridge (although there is no junction here) into Hurstpierpoint. In the village it passes the B2117 and goes on to Hassocks, although there is no gap between the villages. Here it crosses the A273 via Traffic Lights.
A short distance further on, the Railway Station is passed then we leave the village and enter the South Downs National Park. The next village is Ditchling where we cross the B2112 at a mini roundabout. Now the B2116 goes south to Westmeston, closer to the edge of the hills, before heading East again to avoid climbing.
The last section of the B2116 is along the edge of the hills. It goes through Plumpton before dropping down to terminate at a 'give way' sign at the A275, south of Cooksbridge.
The original western end of the B2116 was on the A281 at Locks Green, a tiny hamlet on the edge of Shaves Wood. The road then continued northeast along what is now the B2117 before reaching its current route at Hurstpierpoint.
The road immediately west of Hurstpierpoint was originally numbered B2117; the two numbers were swapped in 1935. However, the B2117 only got as far as the A23 at Albourne; west from here to the A281 at Henfield was originally unclassified.
The westernmost section of the B2116, from Partridge Green to Shermanbury, was originally the B2136. This was renumbered B2116 in 1935 along with the rest of the new route, although it is not obvious why this was done considering the long multiplex along the A281.