From Roader's Digest: The SABRE Wiki
|From:||High Street (SK044056)|
|To:||Chase Road (SK061065)|
|Length:||1.3 miles (2.1 km)|
|Meets:||A452, A4124, B5011, A5|
|Old route now:||A4124|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4155 has slowly been truncated over the years from an important Wolverhampton radial route to a fairly insignificant route in Brownhills which serves mostly as an access road to housing and industrial estates in the north-east of the town.
The modern route of the B4155 starts at the Brownhills Bridge junction to the north of the main shopping area of Brownhills, from where it is the signposted route to Lichfield. It is a nondescript urban road, mostly surrounded by a combination of terraced and 1930s housing.
After a short distance, it meets the B5011 at a light-controlled junction, known locally as Co-op Corner, perhaps not surprisingly after the shop that once occupied the southwest corner of the junction. Some mapping shows the route as ending at this point, but other mapping and some of the signage on the ground indicates that the route continues onwards.
Beyond Co-op Corner, the nature of the road turns from residential to light industrial and finally to rural, narrowing as it goes before reaching a roundabout at which point the route turns sharply north (and is unsigned northbound) along Barracks Lane before finally meeting the A5 where it terminates.
The original route of the B4155 ran from the current route westwards into Wolverhampton city centre along the present A4124 and Broad Street, to end on the A460 in Princes Square. The A4124 number appeared for the first time on the section between Wolverhampton and Bloxwich - the renumbering took place in 1927-28. The use of the A4124 number for this section is shown on 1932 Ordnance Survey mapping.