This article is about the former B870 along the north coast from Laxford Bridge to Thurso.
For the current B870 in Caithness, see B870
(former B870) near Dounreay
The 1922 Road Lists list the B870 as originally following most of the north coast of Scotland.
From the end of the A837 at Laxford Bridge it headed North East to Durness, then around Loch Eriboll and the Kyle of Tongue to meet the A836 at Tongue. From here it continued eastwards through Bettyhill and Melvich to the A88 (now A9) at Thurso.
The Barts map from 1930 shows the B870 extending sothwards from its original route to reach the A837 at Loch Assynt, thus extending this Class II road to well over 100 miles in length. However, by 1932 the original part of the route had been absorbed by eastward extensions to both the A838 and A836, and the southern section had been renumbered as the A894, with the B870 reallocated to its current route, wholly in Caithness.
|B870 (Laxford Bridge - Thurso)|