The second Redheugh Road Bridge (C) Andrew Tatlow The second Redheugh Bridge was opened in 1901 and demolished after the third one was opened in 1983.
Railway Bridge, Redheugh Bridge Road (C) Andrew Curtis There are two railway bridges here, both part of the original Newcastle and Carlisle Railway route on the north bank of the Tyne. The most distant ('NEN1/7') is at a slightly higher level as the trains have to rise to Newcastle Central Station. Before the Station was completed in 1851, the city terminus from 1839 was at Shot Tower, off Railway Street north-west of the Arena (off photo to the left).
The bridge nearest the camera ('Shot Tower Bridge FOG/3') provided an entry to Forth Banks Goods Station. The wall on the right that forms a boundary to the Goods Station shows signs of at least two other railway bridges that took lines from the sidings (where the Arena is now) into the Goods Station. Short sections of track still exist on both these lines <a href='http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2714855'>NZ2463 : Forth Banks Goods Yard from Redheugh Bridge</a>