Help:Uploading images from Coppermine
From Roader's Digest: The SABRE Wiki
We are currently in the process of migrating images from the old Coppermine Gallery onto the Wiki.
Why are we doing this? What's wrong with the gallery?
There are several reasons for doing this :
- It's not possible to put an image into multiple galleries using Coppermine. For instance, a picture of a service area on the A40 could sit under 'A40' or 'Service Areas', but not both.
- It's not possible to directly integrate Coppermine images with information such as route descriptions, which has been a long requested feature
- It's not possible to add videos to Coppermine.
- Many users have reported problems with search and categorization problems of images. These have primarily come about because there is nowhere to add "metadata" to an uploaded picture, such as its location. In turn, this will allow us to do things like list all pictures of the A1 from London to Edinburgh in location order.
- People are starting to add images directly to the Wiki anyway, and we don't want to have to maintain two parallel systems.
How can I help?
We're currently working on moving images over from Coppermine now. As part of this, we're adding in extra information to make them easier to find.
To transfer a Coppermine image, do the following:
- Browse to the image you want to transfer.
- Select the location of the image. The location is normally a large text box that appears at the top of your web browser, and will start with "http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/". Use the mouse to highlight all the text, or click in the location box and press CTRL+A (for 'Select All'). Then press CTRL+C (for 'Copy').
- Open the Coppermine Upload page
- Paste the image location into the text box. This can be done by clicking in the blank text box on screen, and press CTRL+V (for 'Paste'). The location should now have been transferred to the text box.
- Click on "Next". You will now be asked to enter the location of the image from a map, and a choice of galleries to put it in. If you're unsure of what to add, add a question on the forums and somebody will be able to help you out.
- Click on "Next" again and the image will be transferred.
To use this, you need to add the following code as a bookmark in your browser:
Now, when you are on the page of the image on coppermine, you just select that bookmark and it will load the pre-filled transfer page for you!
How do I know what's already been transferred?
A background script is run periodically and marks all transferred images on the Coppermine gallery with the text "wikified". Additionally, progress on who has done what can be seen on the Coppermine Transfer page.