From Roader's Digest: The SABRE Wiki
|The former Forth Road Bridge toll plaza|
|Pictures related to Toll booth|
View gallery (116)
A Toll booth is a place where you pay a toll to use a road, bridge or tunnel. They are usually arranged in a group of several booths, referred to as a toll plaza.
Approaching a plaza usually involves a reduction (or several reductions) in speed limits and the lanes widening out towards the plaza. Most plazas separate lanes out for correct change only (which are sometimes unmanned booths), cash and card booths, and "fast pay" booths for those with a tag or smart pass to quickly go through or past the booth. Toll booths usually have rising barriers to prevent vehicles from passing until they have paid, and overhead signs to show which booths are open or closed.
Toll booths in the UK
This is not an exhaustive list.
- On the English side of the M48 Severn Bridge ST568896
- On the Welsh side of the M4 Second Severn Crossing ST456872
- On the North side of the A15 Humber Bridge TA021259
- On the Devon side of the A38 Tamar Bridge SX438587
- On the North side of the A19 Tyne Tunnel NZ329668 (southbound), NZ328663 (northbound)
- On the Wirral side of the Kingsway Tunnel SJ313907
- On the Wirral side of the Queensway Tunnel SJ324886
Smaller River Crossings
- A57 Dunham Bridge SK819744
- A3025 Itchen Bridge SU438112
- A477 Cleddau Bridge SM974044
- B471 Whitchurch Bridge SU635769
- (B5159) Warburton Bridge SJ697897
- Unclassified Bathampton Bridge ST773670
- Great Wyrley: mainline northbound SJ999078
- Weeford: mainline southbound SK134029
- Junction 3 south-facing sliproads SP157966
- Junction 4 off sliproads SK130046
- Junction 5 off sliproad SK111057
- Junction 6 off sliproads SK046074
Alternatives to toll booths
The development of the internet and Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras has allowed tolls to be collected remotely, without the need for toll plazas and the delays they can cause. Vehicles are detected within the tolled area by ANPR cameras, and drivers are given a period of time during which they can pay the toll charge. Failure to pay on time will result in a penalty charge.
Examples of ANPR based systems include: