Wiki:Community Portal/Seventh Series
From Roader's Digest: The SABRE Wiki
Who's working on this?
How can I contribute
- Go and get some maps. Second hand bookshops have loads, and so does eBay, frequently for under a pound. Or, you may have a large collection already, in which case, let us know. But make sure the map is out of copyright otherwise we can't use it - currently this means it must have a publication date of no later than 1961.
- Scan and stitch the maps together. Most maps can be done in six scans on an A3 scanner (four corners and two middles). Hugin can be used to glue the scans back together - really effectively in fact.
- Write the calibration file. This is in the following format :
(grid ref x),(grid ref y),(pixel x),(pixel y)
If you want a worked example, shout!
- Put the scan and calibration file somewhere Ritchie can get at it, and wait for tiles to appear.
- Dark Green : The map's online now
- Light Green : The map has been scanned and calibrated, and ready to generate tiles.
- Orange : The map has been scanned, but a calibration file needs writing.
- Yellow : The map has not been scanned, but somebody on SABRE is willing to donate it for this purpose
- Red : The map has not been scanned at all, and nobody has offered a copy.