A142 Ely Southern bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadtester

Re: A142 Ely Southern bypass

Post by roadtester »

rasingram2 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 17:31 I drove past both ends this afternoon, they have painted the central lines now. It looks like the whole route will be no overtaking. I can understand why, but it surprised me. If it was in the plans, I missed them.
I wonder if this is related to the fact that the road - apart from the bridge bit - looks to be on the narrow side. I don’t know what the actual carriageway width is but from the start I thought it looked a bit tight, both in pictures and when I caught glimpses of the real thing going past.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Berk

Post by Berk »

Yes, I noticed the sharp bends. Why are modern roads designed with such sharp bends?? :confused:
doebag

Post by doebag »

Berk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 19:35 Yes, I noticed the sharp bends. Why are modern roads designed with such sharp bends?? :confused:
It's not
Looking at Google satellite, it is one continuous curve except for a short straight up to Stuntney Causeway.
The only sharp bits are the roundabouts at each end.
doebag

Post by doebag »

doebag wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 21:35
Berk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 19:35 Yes, I noticed the sharp bends. Why are modern roads designed with such sharp bends?? :confused:
It's not
Looking at Google satellite, it is one continuous curve except for a short straight up to Stuntney Causeway.
The only sharp bits are the roundabouts at each end.
doebag

Post by doebag »

According to local news the by-pass will open at 16:00 today.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

doebag wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 07:31 According to local news the by-pass will open at 16:00 today.
Thanks - and not a moment too soon! There always seem to be delays on that side of town these days, which will hopefully be alleviated.
Electrophorus Electricus

roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Now open:

https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/news/ ... -now-open/

I’ll nip over a bit later on to give it a try.
Electrophorus Electricus

Berk

Post by Berk »

I heard a female councillor being interviewed on local radio today. She seemed pretty negative about the project, claiming it would just push lorries on to the A1123 and A10.

Even if there’s half a point in that, it just underlines the fact that further improvements need to be made.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I've now driven this both ways, albeit in the dark, and I think it's going to be a real improvement.

The double-white lines and 50 limit make more sense to me now - the whole bypass itself is quite short and the bridge section is sufficiently raised that I don't think you can see traffic approaching from the other direction beyond it. I'm not sure the sections either side are long/straight enough, or have the sight lines to be prime overtaking opportunities anyway either, although obviously I'll need to check all this in daylight.

So I don't think the double centre-lines or the 50 limit will dent anyone's journey time much.

My earlier impression that it looked to be a bit on the narrow side didn't really seem to be borne out when I drove it.

Local news reports, including drone footage, here:

http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/ely-b ... -1-5759561

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/l ... c-15354615
Electrophorus Electricus

rasingram2

Post by rasingram2 »

I've only driven it one way in the dark, It will be Saturday before I can try it out in daylight, but I agree it does not seem too narrow, and overtaking would not be advisable over the majority of the route. I look forward to seeing what difference it makes to the traffic on Stuntney Causeway. Now we just have 12 weeks of the underpass being closed before we find out how the station area will work.
doebag

Post by doebag »

Local TV mentioned and showed a queue on the new road up to the western roundabout.
They made no mention that it would have been the same vehicles that would have queued up to the low bridge/level crossing.
This morning, WAZE shows traffic moving at about 24 mph on the new road.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I drove this again today on the way back from Newmarket - the first time I’ve driven it in daylight.

I was really impressed. It was about 11am and traffic was flowing completely freely.

The most notable feature is that the whole central section that incorporates the various bridges is raised to a significantly higher level than the bits at either end. This section has a fairly constant curve, and much of it also has a high barrier on either side. These factors combined with the lack of visibility of approaching traffic thanks to the gradients either end of the central section means that the double centre line for the most part feels entirely appropriate.

So it looks like a success. I’m more worried about what happens with the old underpass, which will still need to be used for all traffic originating in Ely heading towards Soham and Newmarket unless people want to make a long detour. I suspect there will be jams if the flow is restricted (isn’t the plan to have a light-controlled single lane for motorised traffic to make things nicer for NMUs?).
Electrophorus Electricus

Berk

Post by Berk »

Yep, that’s what I heard. And I would imagine there will be queues.

I’d imagine the level crossing has been permanently closed already.
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Berk wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:15 Yep, that’s what I heard. And I would imagine there will be queues.

I’d imagine the level crossing has been permanently closed already.
Looking at it on Google Maps last night, the traffic overlay was suggesting that the level crossing and underpass were shut already.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

rasingram2

Post by rasingram2 »

The underpass was open this morning, but the diversion signs were being put out. I believe they planned to close it at 11am today.

Light controlled single file is the plan, as someone who cycles and walks around there as well as driving, I think it could be quite good. I suppose the queues will depend on what proportion of the traffic that used to go under was coming down or going up Back Hill.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

The county council has tweeted that the old underpass won't re-open until the end of February. They are waiting for the over-head vehicle detection signs have been delivered and installed.
Electrophorus Electricus

Berk

Post by Berk »

I don’t think this closure has been well planned. Not whether the level crossing should ultimately close, but deciding to press ahead and close it immediately before the works on the underpass had even begun.

Incredibly short-sighted.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

The pedestrian element of the scheme has now opened, apparently with great views of the cathedral:

https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/ely- ... -1-5863474
Electrophorus Electricus

roadtester

Post by roadtester »

The A142 linking Newmarket to Ely has been re-classified as a major road, meaning it could benefit from extra funding.

Today the government has announced the busy road, which connects transport giant Turners in Fordham and Ely with the A14, will be included on its major roads status list.

And because of its addition it means the road could win millions for upgrades from the National Roads Fund - a £3.5 billion pot of money set aside to be spent on local roads.
https://www.newmarketjournal.co.uk/news ... t-9062184/

Given that much of this road is already of fairly recent/modern construction, i.e. the Ely Southern bypass, Soham bypass and Fordham bypass, I'm guessing the focus for improvements must be remaining unmodernised bit between the Fordham bypass and the junction with the A11/A14 near Newmarket, and including presumably that junction itself which is increasingly seen as inadequate.
Electrophorus Electricus

camflyer

Post by camflyer »

roadtester wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 18:06
The A142 linking Newmarket to Ely has been re-classified as a major road, meaning it could benefit from extra funding.

Today the government has announced the busy road, which connects transport giant Turners in Fordham and Ely with the A14, will be included on its major roads status list.

And because of its addition it means the road could win millions for upgrades from the National Roads Fund - a £3.5 billion pot of money set aside to be spent on local roads.
https://www.newmarketjournal.co.uk/news ... t-9062184/

Given that much of this road is already of fairly recent/modern construction, i.e. the Ely Southern bypass, Soham bypass and Fordham bypass, I'm guessing the focus for improvements must be remaining unmodernised bit between the Fordham bypass and the junction with the A11/A14 near Newmarket, and including presumably that junction itself which is increasingly seen as inadequate.
Excellent news. The A14/A142 junction is in need of urgent work (and has been for a number of years). As s short term measure peaktime traffic lights would help but ultimately a rebuild of the whole junction will be needed - and this will become even more needed if Hatchfield Farm development ever gets approved after countless loops around the planning system.