A1 Darrington to Redhouse

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
NICK 647063
Member
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 17:48
Location: Leeds

Re: A1 Darrington to Redhouse

Post by NICK 647063 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 22:11

Also has anyone noticed how bad J35 is, I use it most sundays and even at 10am the queues are bad with so much traffic joining the A1(M) nb from the M18 you have 4 lanes squeezing into 2 and it’s just a standstill, I was quite shocked how bad it is.

KeithW
Member
Posts: 11885
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 13:25
Location: Marton-In-Cleveland North Yorks

Re: A1 Darrington to Redhouse

Post by KeithW » Wed Sep 22, 2021 22:22

thatapanydude wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 19:05
Here is a suggestion. If the M18 was extended to York from the M62, would the A1 need to be upgraded? I suspect not especially if the A19 was also dualled from York to Thirsk.

Re. the scheme at large, anything less than a D3(M) or D4(M) with HS is not acceptable.
The A1 needs to be upgraded to handle the traffic from the North East to London. Given the A19 from Thirsk to the York ring road is S2 and that the ring road is already overloaded I dont see a cat in hells chance of anyone going that way unless you held them at gunpoint. Then there is the little matter of rebuilding the junction between the existing A19 and A168 at Thirsk. In comparison upgrading the A1 is a stroll in the park.

Do you really want to send the A1 traffic round this road ?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.92738 ... 8192?hl=en

Or worse yet the southern route and Hopgrove which grinds to a halt in summer as it is.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.98923 ... 8192?hl=en

Actually the few times I have gone via York I found it quicker to go right through the city centre and round the inner ring road. I was of course heading for Teesside so the A19 at Thirsk was on route as it were and I havent gone that way since the A1(M) from Wetherby to Walshford and Dishforth was opened in 2005.

User avatar
Norfolktolancashire
Member
Posts: 1010
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 22:34
Location: Cornwall

Re: A1 Darrington to Redhouse

Post by Norfolktolancashire » Wed Sep 22, 2021 22:45

NICK 647063 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 22:11
Also has anyone noticed how bad J35 is, I use it most sundays and even at 10am the queues are bad with so much traffic joining the A1(M) nb from the M18 you have 4 lanes squeezing into 2 and it’s just a standstill, I was quite shocked how bad it is.
I used this junction from the M18 to A1(M) northbound for the first time a few Saturdays ago and, yes, it was queued along the M18 for a mile up to the junction.

I don't think the junction has altered much since it was built back in the late 1970's despite the massive increase in traffic.

Micro The Maniac
Member
Posts: 963
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 13:14
Location: B3272/A325/A331

Re: A1 Darrington to Redhouse

Post by Micro The Maniac » Thu Sep 23, 2021 07:26

thatapanydude wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 19:05
If the M18 was extended to York from the M62, would the A1 need to be upgraded? I suspect not especially if the A19 was also dualled from York to Thirsk.
The Fantasy Forum is a few doors down.

Quite simply, this will never happen - much as it would be welcomed by many, the outrage from others would be loud! Pushing through an on-line upgrade is hard enough; a green-field motorway would be nigh-on impossible now.

And that is before you consider a route that would have to avoid Drax power station, squeeze past Skipwith Common and the Derwent Valley NNRs - without obliterating North Duffield

User avatar
JammyDodge
Member
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 13:17

Re: A1 Darrington to Redhouse

Post by JammyDodge » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:57

Norfolktolancashire wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 22:45
NICK 647063 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 22:11
Also has anyone noticed how bad J35 is, I use it most sundays and even at 10am the queues are bad with so much traffic joining the A1(M) nb from the M18 you have 4 lanes squeezing into 2 and it’s just a standstill, I was quite shocked how bad it is.
I used this junction from the M18 to A1(M) northbound for the first time a few Saturdays ago and, yes, it was queued along the M18 for a mile up to the junction.

I don't think the junction has altered much since it was built back in the late 1970's despite the massive increase in traffic.
I must have gotten lucky on Saturday.
Slight slow down on the M18 with people merging into lane 1 to exit, other than that, sailed right through
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past

quantinghome
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 15:17
Location: The North

Re: A1 Darrington to Redhouse

Post by quantinghome » Thu Sep 23, 2021 14:07

thatapanydude wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 19:05
Here is a suggestion. If the M18 was extended to York from the M62, would the A1 need to be upgraded? I suspect not especially if the A19 was also dualled from York to Thirsk.
York and North Yorkshire east of the A1 wouldn't account for much of the traffic between Redhouse and Darrington. There will be vastly more demand from West Yorkshire and the North East.

Post Reply