Stay Back - Stay Safe

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Stay Back - Stay Safe

Post by Chris Bertram »

RichardA35 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 18:24
Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 17:25
Chris5156 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 13:26
I’ve heard radio ads and seen poster/billboard ads for this campaign on and off for the last year.

A bit of Googling reveals that the campaign and the “stay safe, stay back” message has actually been around since 2018.
Really? I cannot recall seeing this anywhere. Has the Birmingham area been excluded?
BBC Midlands article contemporary with the 2018 campaign https://youtu.be/gTzIP2zO55c
I watch very little telly, and scarcely ever the local evening news. But I still didn't see it on the road, to the best of my knowledge.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
2 Sheds

Post by 2 Sheds »

WHBM wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:03 Clearly the Buffoon Department from Highways England have effortlessly made the transition to National Highways.
TUPE-d over no doubt :laugh: :laugh:
2 Sheds

Post by 2 Sheds »

Big Nick wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:23
skiddaw05 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:07
Patrick Harper wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:28 I guess 'only a fool breaks the two-second rule' got a bit archaic.

TBH I quite like the webpage though.
Especially the space invader!

Can one infer the demographic at whom this is aimed from this?
The 40-50yo age range who are a long time past their driving test and have got into bad driving habits?
Which could be me.... :facepalm:
Almost 50 years since I passed my test and I stay back further with each passing year.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

WHBM wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:03 Clearly the Buffoon Department from Highways England have effortlessly made the transition to National Highways.
Well it is the exact same company.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

WHBM wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:04 Are drivers expected to "type into a search engine" as they are rolling along past the sign ?
I’ve heard radio ads and seen poster/billboard ads for this campaign on and off for the last year.

A bit of Googling reveals that the campaign and the “stay safe, stay back” message has actually been around since 2018.
Really? I cannot recall seeing this anywhere. Has the Birmingham area been excluded?
Nope, they've been showing on multiple gantries on the M6 between J2-6 at least this week.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

darkcape wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 22:11

Nope, they've been showing on multiple gantries on the M6 between J2-6 at least this week.
Take your word for it, have barely been anywhere this week, WFH as per the last 18 months.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

John McAdam

Post by John McAdam »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 13:32 I'd be amazed if Square Enix (who own Taito, which made the original Space Invaders), the fellow bastions of evil that they are, have let them use the Space Invaders logo and alien symbols. What's a bit of copyright infringement among friends?
Not sure why you'd be amazed, especially given the campaign's webpage, endcap of the TV commercial and other materials feature a copyright notice that states "© TAITO CORPORATION 1978, 2021 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED", which rather suggests permission has been sought and granted.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

I recently saw a YouTube film made by a lad who's just passed his Swedish driving test, where he drives round the route he was given on his test and comments on what he did right, what he could have done better (not a huge amount, since he passed) and what manoeuvres etc. he was asked to perform. Never having taken a Swedish test, I was interested to see what the differences are compared to the UK (either from my own test 30 years ago or what I've gleaned from e.g. Ashley Neal). One difference that struck me is that the standard rule of thumb for following traffic here is apparently to keep three seconds between you and it in normal, daylight, dry conditions.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 14:28 I find it's also common to be tailgated by German power cars trying to bully you out of the way so they can overtake.
And not even powerful versions; as soon as the car in front of me moves over, I find that I can often outrun the idiot who was tailgating behind.

It never seems to enter their heads that I might be waiting to pass the car in front of me (probably because I'm not tailgating it), let alone that I might be faster than them once the road is clear.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Got to say this phrase is not obvious enough, what about Don't Tailgate instead.

I initially thought it was something to do with being younger in the back seat with a close partner.... :P
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 21:54 Got to say this phrase is not obvious enough, what about Don't Tailgate instead.

I initially thought it was something to do with being younger in the back seat with a close partner.... :P
There will be people convinced that what they do isn’t tailgating, so telling them not to won’t help.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.