Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
baroudeur
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 15:34

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by baroudeur » Sat Jun 08, 2019 17:41

P&R at Great Denham (Bedford) has never been used since it was built.

https://tinyurl.com/y6eojd6n

User avatar
Jim606
Member
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:11

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by Jim606 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 17:24

baroudeur wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 17:41
P&R at Great Denham (Bedford) has never been used since it was built.

https://tinyurl.com/y6eojd6n
Good find, I haven't hear of this one before. I do wonder about the Colchester one, as it isn't generating the income they originally intended. The area around the P&R is to be developed with more housing etc. so it will be interesting to see if this will help? Otherwise, I can see a time when they end up having to sell part of it off to balance the books?

User avatar
trickstat
Member
Posts: 5890
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 14:06
Location: Herts

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by trickstat » Sun Jun 09, 2019 18:15

I would have thought that for a Park & Ride site to be a success you need 2 things-

1) Sufficient numbers of people to want to come into the centre of the city or town from outside of the town and from a direction that makes the site a convenient location.
2) For the Park & Ride to provide definite advantages compared with driving into the centre in terms of things like congestion, parking costs or finding a space.

Bedford, for example, has neither the retail facilities of nearby Milton Keynes or the tourism pull of, relatively nearby, Cambridge. FWIW, it is also no longer the seat of a County Council.

baroudeur
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 15:34

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by baroudeur » Mon Jun 10, 2019 16:44

trickstat wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 18:15
I would have thought that for a Park & Ride site to be a success you need 2 things-

1) Sufficient numbers of people to want to come into the centre of the city or town from outside of the town and from a direction that makes the site a convenient location.
2) For the Park & Ride to provide definite advantages compared with driving into the centre in terms of things like congestion, parking costs or finding a space.

Bedford, for example, has neither the retail facilities of nearby Milton Keynes or the tourism pull of, relatively nearby, Cambridge. FWIW, it is also no longer the seat of a County Council.
The Bedford (Elstow) P&R on the south side of the town has a steady flow of customers. Incidentally, considering the huge distances across MK it only has one P&R adjacent to the M1 j14 which is free and seems to cater for long distance coach travellers rather than shoppers.

The Great Denham P&R is not used apparently because there was no agreement on who would pay for its operation. Presumably, as it is part of the huge housing estates that comprise Great Denham the developers built it as part of the green field development.

User avatar
Jim606
Member
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:11

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by Jim606 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 13:08

trickstat wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 18:15
I would have thought that for a Park & Ride site to be a success you need 2 things-

1) Sufficient numbers of people to want to come into the centre of the city or town from outside of the town and from a direction that makes the site a convenient location.
2) For the Park & Ride to provide definite advantages compared with driving into the centre in terms of things like congestion, parking costs or finding a space.

Bedford, for example, has neither the retail facilities of nearby Milton Keynes or the tourism pull of, relatively nearby, Cambridge. FWIW, it is also no longer the seat of a County Council.
Colchester, like many other places does have its traffic problems and the local council plus, Essex CC decided that a P&R, like nearby Chelmsford & Ipswich would be a good idea. However, the Colchester P&R doesn't seem to have attracted the level of usage it was designed for. Things could change, with the local council selling off parking lots in the town centre, as they have already done to a certain degree. But, most of the big car parks are still under council control and they like the income. Plus, however convenient the P&R bus, people are still driving in the centre and parking.

User avatar
Jim606
Member
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:11

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by Jim606 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 14:39

Colchester's P&R has been back in the local news yet again. This time the operators are renting out the space for a Sunday boot sale. Is this a first in the UK?
https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/195 ... boot-sale/

User avatar
Gareth Thomas
Member
Posts: 1477
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 13:43
Location: Temple Ewell, Kent
Contact:

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by Gareth Thomas » Sun Sep 26, 2021 00:03

Folkestone and Hythe District Council had plans to trial a park and ride into Folkestone this summer. Drivers would have parked near Junction 12 of the M20 at Cheriton and then busses would have taken you into town, stopping only at Folkestone Central railway station, the town centre and the harbour. Services launched in June, initially only on weekends. It wasn't used that much at first but the expectation was when the school holidays started it would go to seven days a week and be used a lot more.

Then came the pingdemic. Stagecoach had driver shortages, so in order to concentrate on keeping the local bus network running, the park and ride had to be suspended and never came back.

I wonder if they might trial it again next summer, as the hopes were it would prove successful and become permanent.
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown

KeithW
Member
Posts: 11885
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 13:25
Location: Marton-In-Cleveland North Yorks

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by KeithW » Sun Sep 26, 2021 09:51

Gareth Thomas wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 00:03
Folkestone and Hythe District Council had plans to trial a park and ride into Folkestone this summer. Drivers would have parked near Junction 12 of the M20 at Cheriton and then busses would have taken you into town, stopping only at Folkestone Central railway station, the town centre and the harbour. Services launched in June, initially only on weekends. It wasn't used that much at first but the expectation was when the school holidays started it would go to seven days a week and be used a lot more.

Then came the pingdemic. Stagecoach had driver shortages, so in order to concentrate on keeping the local bus network running, the park and ride had to be suspended and never came back.

I wonder if they might trial it again next summer, as the hopes were it would prove successful and become permanent.
Given how much parking there is down on Marine Parade I cant see many people using the P&R to the harbour and there is a pretty big car park at Middleburg Square and the major supermarkets in the centre. I also really question how many people would take the Park and Ride to Folkestone Central.

Typical GSV of Marine Parade car park in August 2015
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.07748 ... 6656?hl=en

User avatar
Patrick Harper
Member
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 14:41
Location: Wiltshire
Contact:

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by Patrick Harper » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:42

Reading's Loddon Bridge P&R was replaced by a new one at Winnersh Triangle in October 2015 and to date remains disused. The old bus-only slip-road for A3290 westbound could be reconnected to Earley Way and made general purpose again, but at a cost.
YouTubeYouTube (music)Vimeo | Formerly: Paspie (2010–2015) • Paianni (2015–2018) • Skye (2018–2020)

User avatar
Bfivethousand
Member
Posts: 1288
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 22:16
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by Bfivethousand » Sun Sep 26, 2021 15:05

Leicester (Birstall) P&R is being used as a massive Covid / PCR testing facility. A section of the car park is still being used for P&R purposes, it must only be running at around 25% capacity though.
Witham ain't a dancer
It's just south of Braintree

Sirsquinn
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:06

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by Sirsquinn » Sun Sep 26, 2021 17:36

Not too sure of the story with this Park and Ride in Southport. Don't know if it's ever been used. It's situated right next to a railway so perhaps a future parkway type station.

There is another park and ride in Southport but it's pretty much right next to the town centre anyway.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VBTRFjgcPQ4pGKLN9

fras
Member
Posts: 2780
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 18:34

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by fras » Sun Sep 26, 2021 19:35

Ludlow P & R
https://andybodders.co.uk/2020/07/01/lu ... was-fixed/
I suspect the bus service to town is so infrequent most people have given up on it.

For me, all these P & Rs are just council box-ticking exercises. Why would Ludlow need a P&R, for heavens sake !

User avatar
IAN
Member
Posts: 945
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 19:07

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by IAN » Sun Sep 26, 2021 19:47

fras wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 19:35
Ludlow P & R
https://andybodders.co.uk/2020/07/01/lu ... was-fixed/
I suspect the bus service to town is so infrequent most people have given up on it.

For me, all these P & Rs are just council box-ticking exercises. Why would Ludlow need a P&R, for heavens sake !
It was used a little more when one of the main car parks in the town was used as a Covid testing site and now it's even got a toilet! https://www.ludlowadvertiser.co.uk/news ... -eco-park/
AKA M5 Driver

Post Reply