botched road markings

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
SteelCamel
Member
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 15:46

Re: botched road markings

Post by SteelCamel » Mon Jul 05, 2021 21:35

vlad wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 20:51
There's a right-turn lane on the A5184 here. However, that's in odds with the "no right turns" sign also visible.
The "lane" seems to have existed since at least 2008. But it only got an arrow painted in it sometime in 2019 or 2020.

Micro The Maniac
Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 13:14
Location: B3272/A325/A331

Re: botched road markings

Post by Micro The Maniac » Tue Jul 06, 2021 07:25

vlad wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 20:51
There's a right-turn lane on the A5184 here. However, that's in odds with the "no right turns" sign also visible.
I'm assuming that the NRT applies to the main entrance, which for some reason is "No Entry" - even though the road is two way :confused: :confused:

TS
Member
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 17:18
Location: Bournemouth

Re: botched road markings

Post by TS » Sun Aug 08, 2021 01:25

I am intrigued by this box junction, and the one just to the northeast, which have little unboxed paths going through them.
https://goo.gl/maps/JyPdoKfJ4dBFxX7UA

It seems to be confirming the ok to enter the box when turning right, but I understood that that was allowed anyway. I guess these junctions have had a history of drivers being reluctant to proceed because perhaps they are unsure which other entries also have a green light?

But I wonder what would happen, legally, if someone going across the junction in a direction other than the intended one, came to a halt on the unhatched part of his onward route. Someone in a Smart Car might, for example, be able to head from northeast to southwest, and come to a halt in the unhatched part of the box.

??

User avatar
Big L
Deputy Site Manager
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 20:36
Location: B5012

Re: botched road markings

Post by Big L » Sun Aug 08, 2021 07:08

Which junction? That link just points at Swansea station.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

TS
Member
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 17:18
Location: Bournemouth

Re: botched road markings

Post by TS » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:37

Big L wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 07:08
Which junction? That link just points at Swansea station.
Oh, whoopsie!

It is best viewed here, I think:
https://goo.gl/maps/Emfi45j9zENq3j7t9

...and the other junction to the northeast here, if anything, looks more impressive because the Google camera went through when there wasn't much traffic on the junction:
https://goo.gl/maps/t77mzkb4nrgeq9qv6

User avatar
Bryn666
Member
Posts: 31707
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 20:54

Re: botched road markings

Post by Bryn666 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 15:00

TS wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:37
Big L wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 07:08
Which junction? That link just points at Swansea station.
Oh, whoopsie!

It is best viewed here, I think:
https://goo.gl/maps/Emfi45j9zENq3j7t9

...and the other junction to the northeast here, if anything, looks more impressive because the Google camera went through when there wasn't much traffic on the junction:
https://goo.gl/maps/t77mzkb4nrgeq9qv6
Unless the WG have authorised it that is just unlawful and unenforceable.
Bryn
Traffic/Road Safety Dogsbody and General Grumpy Now-a-Thirtysomething Man
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/

OliverH
Member
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:52
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: botched road markings

Post by OliverH » Sat Sep 25, 2021 18:33


User avatar
the cheesecake man
Member
Posts: 1530
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:21
Location: Sheffield

Re: botched road markings

Post by the cheesecake man » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:12

Here's a good one seen on Look North last night! :rofl: :ipunch:
School keep clear lines painted outside primary closed in 2003

User avatar
Owain
Elected Committee Member
Posts: 21619
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 17:02
Location: Leodis

Re: botched road markings

Post by Owain » Wed Sep 29, 2021 07:43

Just look at the width of lanes 1 and 2 (or should that be lanes 0.5 and 1.5?): ClickyMcClickClick

It looks even worse on the ground! I've never noticed it before, so I'm wondering if it's been done recently by simply dividing the original lane 1, and not shifting the other markings over enough to create the space.
The F99 Challenge
Completed: 1-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-22-23-24-25-26-27-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39-41-42-43-44-45-46-47-48-49-50-51-52-53-54-55-56-57-58-59-60-61-62-63-64-65-66-67-68-69-70-71-72-73-74-75-76-78-79-80-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-89-90-91-92-93-94-95-96-97-98-99
To be completed: 2-3-21-28-40-77

jnty
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 00:12

Re: botched road markings

Post by jnty » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:04

Owain wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 07:43
Just look at the width of lanes 1 and 2 (or should that be lanes 0.5 and 1.5?): ClickyMcClickClick

It looks even worse on the ground! I've never noticed it before, so I'm wondering if it's been done recently by simply dividing the original lane 1, and not shifting the other markings over enough to create the space.
Looks like someone managed to fit! But I guess its main purpose is to telegraph the fact that lane 1 on the road feeds lane 1 and 2 on the roundabout.

OliverH
Member
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:52
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: botched road markings

Post by OliverH » Mon Oct 04, 2021 22:19

No entry: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.84283 ... 312!8i6656
but wait a Minuit this road has been blocked off so how are people in cars supposed to access their houses.

User avatar
Bfivethousand
Member
Posts: 1287
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 22:16
Location: Derbyshire

Re: botched road markings

Post by Bfivethousand » Tue Oct 05, 2021 00:53

jnty wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:04
Owain wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 07:43
Just look at the width of lanes 1 and 2 (or should that be lanes 0.5 and 1.5?): ClickyMcClickClick

It looks even worse on the ground! I've never noticed it before, so I'm wondering if it's been done recently by simply dividing the original lane 1, and not shifting the other markings over enough to create the space.
Looks like someone managed to fit! But I guess its main purpose is to telegraph the fact that lane 1 on the road feeds lane 1 and 2 on the roundabout.
Now spin that image around 180 degrees...

One of those lane guidance markings looks out of place and not especially helpful... always sensible to mark those out before installation, a couple of feet out of position can make all the difference!
Witham ain't a dancer
It's just south of Braintree

User avatar
Bryn666
Member
Posts: 31707
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 20:54

Re: botched road markings

Post by Bryn666 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:48

Whoever is doing lining design in Blackburn with Darwen has been making cock-ups everywhere.

In the last six months I've seen give way lines placed with Stop signs, Dia 1008 run into traffic islands, Dia 1008 used for central hatching and turn refuges, Dia 1004 used in 50 mph limits (not strictly wrong nowadays but it looks stupid)... how hard can it be?
Bryn
Traffic/Road Safety Dogsbody and General Grumpy Now-a-Thirtysomething Man
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/

User avatar
andy_birkett
Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 14:16
Location: Morley, Leeds
Contact:

Re: botched road markings

Post by andy_birkett » Tue Oct 05, 2021 17:48

Is "No Entry" painted on the road enforceable without the actual "no entry" signs? https://goo.gl/maps/pQgNG7tmuYvRncjY9

So this is one-way in from the north end (Dewsbury Road) but becomes two-way after the dodgy "no entry" marking, so why is the "give way" line pointed full width at the southern end? My head hurts. https://goo.gl/maps/4KGJyszGgGKwJg2k6

User avatar
Chris5156
Member
Posts: 14878
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2001 21:50
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: botched road markings

Post by Chris5156 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 20:04

andy_birkett wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 17:48
Is "No Entry" painted on the road enforceable without the actual "no entry" signs? https://goo.gl/maps/pQgNG7tmuYvRncjY9
I doubt it. Looks like an absolute mess of an attempt to make the road one way.
So this is one-way in from the north end (Dewsbury Road) but becomes two-way after the dodgy "no entry" marking, so why is the "give way" line pointed full width at the southern end? My head hurts. https://goo.gl/maps/4KGJyszGgGKwJg2k6
A give way line across the full width of a two-way road has been a Leeds peculiarity for decades. Growing up there I thought it was a standard way to mark the mouth of a junction until I realised that nowhere else did it! Looking around on Streetview it looks to be much less common now - many streets I remember being marked that way now have conventional markings.

User avatar
skiddaw05
Member
Posts: 1782
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 21:33
Location: Norwich

Re: botched road markings

Post by skiddaw05 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 23:10

Chris5156 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 20:04
andy_birkett wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 17:48
Is "No Entry" painted on the road enforceable without the actual "no entry" signs? https://goo.gl/maps/pQgNG7tmuYvRncjY9
I doubt it. Looks like an absolute mess of an attempt to make the road one way.
So this is one-way in from the north end (Dewsbury Road) but becomes two-way after the dodgy "no entry" marking, so why is the "give way" line pointed full width at the southern end? My head hurts. https://goo.gl/maps/4KGJyszGgGKwJg2k6
A give way line across the full width of a two-way road has been a Leeds peculiarity for decades. Growing up there I thought it was a standard way to mark the mouth of a junction until I realised that nowhere else did it! Looking around on Streetview it looks to be much less common now - many streets I remember being marked that way now have conventional markings.
It's still quite normal to have the double give way lines across the whole junction, eg here when the side road isn't wide enough for a centre line, which is anything under 5.5m wide. In the Leeds example it's difficult to tell if there's 5.5m or more clear width outside the parking bay but it looks as if putting a centre line in would be rather cluttered, and its omission means you have to have the full width GW lines

Octaviadriver
Member
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 20:20
Location: Powys

Re: botched road markings

Post by Octaviadriver » Wed Oct 06, 2021 09:27

andy_birkett wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 17:48
Is "No Entry" painted on the road enforceable without the actual "no entry" signs? https://goo.gl/maps/pQgNG7tmuYvRncjY9
The white car parked on the left in your link ignored the painted No Entry.

User avatar
Chris Bertram
Committee Member
Posts: 13447
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:30
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: botched road markings

Post by Chris Bertram » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:16

Octaviadriver wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 09:27
andy_birkett wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 17:48
Is "No Entry" painted on the road enforceable without the actual "no entry" signs? https://goo.gl/maps/pQgNG7tmuYvRncjY9
The white car parked on the left in your link ignored the painted No Entry.
There are also no one way street signs at the entry to the street. The painted words are probably a legacy of a now-cancelled restriction.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Octaviadriver
Member
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 20:20
Location: Powys

Re: botched road markings

Post by Octaviadriver » Wed Oct 06, 2021 13:37

Chris Bertram wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:16
Octaviadriver wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 09:27
andy_birkett wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 17:48
Is "No Entry" painted on the road enforceable without the actual "no entry" signs? https://goo.gl/maps/pQgNG7tmuYvRncjY9
The white car parked on the left in your link ignored the painted No Entry.
There are also no one way street signs at the entry to the street. The painted words are probably a legacy of a now-cancelled restriction.
I'm not sure. If you go back over the timeline, up to 2014 there's no restriction painted or signed and the painted restriction appears in 2016 with no signs. It's possible though that the restriction was applied with signs between these dates and then removed again before the 2016 Streetview with the signs removed but the painted restriction left in place.

User avatar
Chris5156
Member
Posts: 14878
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2001 21:50
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: botched road markings

Post by Chris5156 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 09:29

Not sure we've had this one before.

The road here was designed as D3 with a normal sliproad exit. It was later re-marked as D3 on the approach with a lane drop, and D2 through the junction.

The latest iteration now has:
D2 on the approach, with the former right hand lane hatched out
A normal exit to the sliproad from lane 1
Lane 1 ending and simultaneously a new lane 3 opening, so both through lanes have to move right

Whose idea was this absolute car crash?

Streetview
Aerial view

Post Reply