botched road markings

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
User avatar
jervi
Member
Posts: 1308
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 16:29
Location: Lincoln / Haywards Heath

Re: botched road markings

Post by jervi » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:24

Skipsy wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 17:21
Something doesn't seem quite right here...
Yeah, and that ADS completely forgets the the A23 NB exists. I informed B&H highways about this a few weeks back, so should be sorted by now, or maybe a few more weeks. TBH B&H highways are quite quick to fix signage and markings after I let them know, usually within 1 month do they replace shoddy new ADS.

User avatar
MotorwayGuy
Member
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 15:37
Location: S.E. London

Re: botched road markings

Post by MotorwayGuy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 21:40

Not technically wrong but this one has baffled me as to how it's survived for years:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.478213, ... 384!8i8192

The only indication that the lane suddenly ends is that it is signed as a lane drop even though it isn't but should be. You can tell when someone who has never been here slams the brakes on and swerves either way.

User avatar
Chris5156
Member
Posts: 14970
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2001 21:50
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: botched road markings

Post by Chris5156 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:46

MotorwayGuy wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 21:40
Not technically wrong but this one has baffled me as to how it's survived for years:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.478213, ... 384!8i8192

The only indication that the lane suddenly ends is that it is signed as a lane drop even though it isn't but should be. You can tell when someone who has never been here slams the brakes on and swerves either way.
That’s the weird arrangement the GLC used to use at lane drops, now thankfully almost all gone. You can see it at the northbound exit for the Bow Roundabout too, and it used to exist on the west side of the Thamesmead GSJ.

It’s incredibly unhelpful and I don’t know why TfL keep dumbly repainting them.

User avatar
Chris Bertram
Committee Member
Posts: 13605
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:30
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: botched road markings

Post by Chris Bertram » Thu Oct 28, 2021 15:04

Chris5156 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:46
It’s incredibly unhelpful and I don’t know why TfL keep dumbly repainting them.
I think you just answered your own question there.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

garyhawkins01
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2021 18:04

Re: botched road markings

Post by garyhawkins01 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 15:21

This junction in Oxford seems to have four-way Give Way markings...

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.7597663 ... 312!8i6656

User avatar
MotorwayGuy
Member
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 15:37
Location: S.E. London

Re: botched road markings

Post by MotorwayGuy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 13:47

Chris5156 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:46
MotorwayGuy wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 21:40
Not technically wrong but this one has baffled me as to how it's survived for years:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.478213, ... 384!8i8192

The only indication that the lane suddenly ends is that it is signed as a lane drop even though it isn't but should be. You can tell when someone who has never been here slams the brakes on and swerves either way.
That’s the weird arrangement the GLC used to use at lane drops, now thankfully almost all gone. You can see it at the northbound exit for the Bow Roundabout too, and it used to exist on the west side of the Thamesmead GSJ.

It’s incredibly unhelpful and I don’t know why TfL keep dumbly repainting them.
The Thamesmead one is even more strange because there are the same number of lanes after the lane drop due to a lane opening on the right. Judging by the hatched area on the right I wonder if it was originally painted as three lanes but the rightmost one was removed for some reason without changing the layout.

User avatar
Chris5156
Member
Posts: 14970
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2001 21:50
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: botched road markings

Post by Chris5156 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 18:15

MotorwayGuy wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 13:47
Chris5156 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:46
MotorwayGuy wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 21:40
Not technically wrong but this one has baffled me as to how it's survived for years:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.478213, ... 384!8i8192

The only indication that the lane suddenly ends is that it is signed as a lane drop even though it isn't but should be. You can tell when someone who has never been here slams the brakes on and swerves either way.
That’s the weird arrangement the GLC used to use at lane drops, now thankfully almost all gone. You can see it at the northbound exit for the Bow Roundabout too, and it used to exist on the west side of the Thamesmead GSJ.

It’s incredibly unhelpful and I don’t know why TfL keep dumbly repainting them.
The Thamesmead one is even more strange because there are the same number of lanes after the lane drop due to a lane opening on the right. Judging by the hatched area on the right I wonder if it was originally painted as three lanes but the rightmost one was removed for some reason without changing the layout.
That’s exactly what happened - it used to be a three-to-two lane drop, the same as the Sun in the Sands one you posted. It’s now even worse.

AlexBr967
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 21:08

Re: botched road markings

Post by AlexBr967 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:24

2 stop lines for the traffic lights. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.96511 ... 384!8i8192

User avatar
trickstat
Member
Posts: 5995
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 14:06
Location: Herts

Re: botched road markings

Post by trickstat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 17:15

AlexBr967 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:24
2 stop lines for the traffic lights. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.96511 ... 384!8i8192
I believe that to be a waiting area for unicyclists. :roll:

SteelCamel
Member
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 15:46

Re: botched road markings

Post by SteelCamel » Tue Nov 02, 2021 22:00

AlexBr967 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:24
2 stop lines for the traffic lights. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.96511 ... 384!8i8192
Looks like the lights and stop line have been moved back to make way for a wider crossing - but someone forgot to erase the old line. If you look at it in 2009 you can see that the lights are further forward, by the far (then only) stop line. And also an interesting traffic signal...

User avatar
Chris Bertram
Committee Member
Posts: 13605
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:30
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: botched road markings

Post by Chris Bertram » Tue Nov 02, 2021 22:45

SteelCamel wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 22:00
AlexBr967 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:24
2 stop lines for the traffic lights. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.96511 ... 384!8i8192
Looks like the lights and stop line have been moved back to make way for a wider crossing - but someone forgot to erase the old line. If you look at it in 2009 you can see that the lights are further forward, by the far (then only) stop line. And also an interesting traffic signal...
Go way back and the light sequence in Italy was Red - Green - Green+Amber - Red. However in this instance it will be that at the instant of the photo, the amber was lit while the green was still fading, the halogen lamps in Mellor signals were like that.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Post Reply